• Start date

Do you consider yourself a geek?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer the term Techie...

• No

• Not me but I dunno 'bout everybody else ;)

• No! <looks insulted>

• No idea

• I'll vote yes if everybody else votes yes?!

• Total voters

I voted the last option: "..." as I'm not sure what to vote

A GEEK:

-> studying HTML and CSS
-> like gaming a lot
-> own a self-made computer
-> got sweaty feet (-_-;;;;;;;; )
-> like fantasy
-> will cosplay at the next event
-> like anime/manga a lot
-> listen - and sing along - to J-pop in my car
-> have long hair in a pony that tends to get greasy fast :p
-> my girlfriend complains that I tend to get in front of the pc when we're in my room
-> I like DnD

NOT A GEEK:

-> I can't make anything decent in HTML nor CSS without the help of Dreamweaver (I can tweak in CSS though)
-> I like small fun games like DDR or eye-toy better than Quake or MoH (I like RPG's the best though)
-> the computer parts were selected partly by someone I know
-> I'm studying Pedagogic Sciences (which is the most social studies one can follow at university) (I am their webmaster too though :p)
-> I have a girlfriend
-> I don't smell bad
-> HATE HATE sci-fi :) (no offence ^^)
-> cosplay will be VERY simple :)
-> like altenative movies
-> I don't go mad when not having a pc for over a week :) no pc and no console and nothing to do = instant death though :p
-> DnD has to be funny though :)

so I'm kind of a mixed bag, to geeky for the cool and too unleet for the leet! XD

jcintheus posted on Jul 10 2004 at 01:23 PM said:
kknd_cf posted on Jul 8 2004 at 06:02 PM said:
erm I found html exciting while learning it and I'm exited about learning c. My parents bought a lock for the study so I get banned etc. I get stressed when I'm not on the pc for more than half an hour at home. I own a gp32. I love games. And I think Beethoven is cool.
BRING ON THE INSULTS!
Beethoven IS cool. :)
B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to go with no on this one (I feel alianated now that I'm one of the few non-geeks here). I have no advanced computer knolege, I dont read on my spare time, I play football, I have a wifey, my idea of partying is going to a party ( :p ) and getting wrecked, I listen mostly to rap (I'm also the only white kid on the block), hate DandD, smokin' and drinking is a favorite pastime, and noone in my life has ever even described me as anything close to a geek. So no :D. But I do own a gp...

Q-Wi-Q posted on Jul 10 2004 at 03:23 PM said:
A GEEK:

-> I like DnD
Wait, what was that sound? Oh, it was you getting SLAPPED IN THE FACE with the geek stamp! Sorry, cosplay makes it automatic.

i'm a geek and not proud of it. :( i just wish i had the ambition to do something when i'm not with my friends partying and i've visited all my bookmars a million times and nothing is going on on IRC. *sigh*

jegHegy posted on Jul 10 2004 at 09:43 PM said:
i'm a geek and not proud of it. :( i just wish i had the ambition to do something when i'm not with my friends partying and i've visited all my bookmars a million times and nothing is going on on IRC. *sigh*
We're on the same wavelength here. I just get bored and start surfing bookmarks over and over and don't actually do anything. Very seldom am I motivated to do things.

Twimfy posted on Jul 8 2004 at 01:27 AM said:
I chose '...' because I don't quite know what it's supposed to mean.

As for being a geek/nerd, I don't class myself as either, I'm just a bit of everything guy and technology is one of my vices.

I've been told I'm an all rounder.

Pity me and me girlfriend just split though :(
Hmm, I guess I do have an unusually large amount of Sonic the Hedgehog memorabilia, and pretty much the entire Sega hardware catalogue.

Rico posted on Jul 11 2004 at 12:26 AM said:
We're on the same wavelength here. I just get bored and start surfing bookmarks over and over and don't actually do anything. Very seldom am I motivated to do things.
at least i'm not alone with this. fuck i wish summer holidays were over.

mattmagoo posted on Jul 10 2004 at 02:26 PM said:
I enjoy clever comedies:

Alan Partridge
Smoking Room
Family Guy (stupid people dont get it)

I read sci-fi books: (not Star-Trek, more modernistic future books)

I, Robot (reading 'Escape!' atm, its brilliant)
Naked Sun

I watch foreign movies

Volcano High
Battle Royale
3 colours
Ringo

I listen to music no-one else does

Steve Miller
James Brown
Jackson 5

None of my m8s do half of this stuff, so among them i am the nerd coz I am the cleverest too

Worst thing is I am not one of them studying sorts, I doss, and I'm still clever, which maybe says more aboyut my m8s than it does me

But recently I started to hang out with other people @ college who are more into it

Oh, another thing, I am the trivia king, I quote old TV shows and Video Games and know one has a fucking clue what I am on about

I just got a good memory
Heh, a kindred soul, I see. :D That describes me pretty well, except I've never heard of the music & movies you mentioned. I do like to watch foreign movies though; stuff like Delicatessen, Solaris, Come and See, The Three Seasons, & La Grande Vadrouille (Louis De Funès rules!).
Asimov's one of my favourite writers. :)

As an aside:

Has anyone seen the trailer for the I, Robot movie?
It trashes and mocks the basic premise of the original Robot short stories, and what made them so revolutionary in the first place (prior to Asimov, all stories dealing with robots had them turning upon their creators & the moral "there are some things humankind was not meant to know"; the movie that they're making right now basically goes back to that. Ugh!)

Rico posted on Jul 10 2004 at 08:27 PM said:
Q-Wi-Q posted on Jul 10 2004 at 03:23 PM said:
A GEEK:

-> I like DnD
Wait, what was that sound? Oh, it was you getting SLAPPED IN THE FACE with the geek stamp! Sorry, cosplay makes it automatic.
what the cosplay will be:

my regular summer cloths: ankle trousers, summer sandals, a red t-shirt and a greyish shirt on top

additions: will draw 4 stripes on my face, will wear a straw hat, will not tie hair in a pony

what I'm cosplaying:

Shanks from One Piece

oh yeah, another non-geek one: I always am the one to arrange social events and fun get-togethers ^^ actually, I think I'm overmotivated, my studies show that (Pedagogic Sciences -> Educational Sciences)

Hmm, I imagined coat-wearing idiots prancing about the forest lobbing beanbags at each other and shouting 'energy bolt! energy bolt! energy bolt!' until some of them faked death. And frequent look-ups of the rulebook. I guess instead you'll be pretending to be a pirate. At least it's original!

yes they do. everyone watches family guy and alan partridge so they dont count.

I watch foreign movies - Battle Royale

i dunno about the rest but battle royale isnt a geek film

James Brown
Jackson 5

youre joking right? everyone listens to these at some point

and to q-wi - the fuck is cosplay? do you dress up and act like someone else. hahahaha i didnt even think people did that in real life

1. it's anime cosplay, not stupid "I wanna be darth maul cosplay" :p
2. I don't wanna "act" anything ;)
3. some cosplays are REALLY nice (particularily girls ^-^)
4. I get a €10 discount for the event at which I'm doing it :)
5. FIRE BOLT! SLEEP! SLEEP! <--- no, I'm not that kind of an idiot :)

I tend not to take the whole cosplaying thing too seriously, as there's loads of people that really try to act out the character (like some guy doing this Star Trek imitation, has a styrofoam lance, it REALLY sucks ass), I'm just doing it for fun as I'm quite sure it'll suck :)

battle royal IS a geek film, more geeks have watched it than jap ppl ^^

Q-Wi-Q posted on Jul 11 2004 at 12:19 PM said:
LOL that was the EXACT video clip I drew my generalised assumptions from. Except I think he says 'lightning bolt!' and I forgot what it was so I said 'energy bolt!' instead. TBH I've never played a game of D&D yet but I'd really like to, or more likely GM it. I seem to be good at that sort of thing from my limited experience.

yes they do. everyone watches family guy and alan partridge so they dont count.

Honest to god, where I come from they dont

I watch foreign movies - Battle Royale

i dunno about the rest but battle royale isnt a geek film

Just an example everyone would of heard of

James Brown
Jackson 5

youre joking right? everyone listens to these at some point

OK, I wanna live near you, every one round here listens ti ska and punk rock and half of em never even heard of James Brown

BTW: anyone evry seen the film 'Trekkies' fucking hilarious

jegHegy posted on Jul 10 2004 at 09:43 PM said:
i'm a geek and not proud of it. i just wish i had the ambition to do something when i'm not with my friends partying and i've visited all my bookmars a million times and nothing is going on on IRC. *sigh*

Being bored has nothing to do with being a geek. In fact, most geeks are introverts, which means we are far more easily able to amuse ourselves while alone or with just friends. The opposite of a geek would be someone who was also an extrovert, meaning they're probably 100x more bored :p

Rico posted on Jul 11 2004 at 01:19 PM said:
Q-Wi-Q posted on Jul 11 2004 at 12:19 PM said:
LOL that was the EXACT video clip I drew my generalised assumptions from. Except I think he says 'lightning bolt!' and I forgot what it was so I said 'energy bolt!' instead. TBH I've never played a game of D&D yet but I'd really like to, or more likely GM it. I seem to be good at that sort of thing from my limited experience.
D&D is fun, but I can't stand how people tend to take it all seriously and get into dark characters... I used to play a naked female that would hit monsters with an easter bell B)

P.S.: I'm extremely loud, that's also not-geek :p

Esn posted on Jul 11 2004 at 05:45 AM said:
Has anyone seen the trailer for the I, Robot movie?
It trashes and mocks the basic premise of the original Robot short stories, and what made them so revolutionary in the first place (prior to Asimov, all stories dealing with robots had them turning upon their creators & the moral "there are some things humankind was not meant to know"; the movie that they're making right now basically goes back to that. Ugh!)
it doesnt look too good, specially since it wasnt my favourite short

Runaround is rather odd

'lovers proffesions when uttered in Hessians'

that drunken robot cracks me up

I'm still gonna see I, Robot tho, just coz I have to

Back