Docking port

bsp

Very Active Member
Ok, so it seems almost certain that the DragonBox (or whatever it will be called) will be quite powerful.

So powerful that I could imagine not only using it as a mobile gaming device / ultra mobile PC but even for most of my everyday PC duties (coding, emails, web browsing, music, video, ..).

It would be really cool if 'the box' had some kind of docking port so that you could simply plug it into a docking station when you come home, and instantly use it as a PC.

The docking port would need to have pins for

• Charging the device
  • (superspeed) USB3 (e.g. for connecting a harddrive)
  • USB2 (for full and high speed devices) (keyboard, mouse, ..)
  • Video output (HDMI, maybe even TV-Out)
  • Audio output
  • Audio input
The docking station could be designed/developed later on, of course. It probably could (should?) also include a USB HUB.

Besides the obvious advantage of such a design (ease of use!), it would also reduce/avoid wear of the device's builtin ports.

Bad idea ? Good idea ? Feasible ?

Heh, I never claimed this to be an original idea, docking stations have been around for a long, long time.

Just consider this a plea to the HW designers.

If there's any chance to fit this in, it would be incredibly useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it would reduce stress on all the ports except for the one ext port that connects it to the dock.

That said, I did like the look of the GP2X BoB/cradle which seems to have been released alongside the F200. Dunno if that ever went on sale though. Also, no idea how to translate that idea into a dock for a clamshell device.

rather than a docking port, a cradle may be enough, with simply a usb hub and ppwer connection to match the Pandora fittings. You shoulndt neeed to duplicate each port, theres no point in doing that.

Already planned, that's why we keep all important ports on the back :D
Sorry, if this is already obvious: are we talking about a dedicated docking port, or are the ports of the P2 only connected/looped trough the base ?

I think IR would be good too. For me, even if it ain't x86, pure versatility would be the selling point. I want a durable machine I can use for Skype over 4G, play modern games on, use for controlling robots (something the OP was rarely, if ever, used for, due to it having only 2 UART ports, or the lack of it being stressed).

It would be even better if some of said docking port's pins could be used for GPIO... Blinky light program, anyone?

The Pandora has an IR port on the EXT connector, all it needs are the IR LED and receiver wired properly to an EXT connector and the right sys files twiddled into serial mode.

Well, it would reduce stress on all the ports except for the one ext port that connects it to the dock.
Yep, better than wearing out all of the 5+ other ports, isn't it ?

The docking port could (should?) be made a bit sturdier than the off-the-shelf connectors, of course, i.e. don't solder it directly to the PCB but use a small ribbon cable for connection and properly fasten the connector itself to the case using screws.

One could even design some kind of (conducting) cap that is placed on the docking pins so that if that one wears out, it could be replaced cheaply.

Here's a crazy idea. Make the docking port not a port at all.

Have the bottom back edge of the case have a series of 50 or so 1mm holes through it with a series of contacts behind them. The dock would then have a corresponding set of spring loaded metal pins that rest on the contacts when the Pandora is in dock.

The contacts could even be formed flush to the Pandora - but that would be harder.

OK - not a great idea maybe, but different.

Why have a docking connector, when you can have a rigidly mounted USB plug, HDMI plug, EXT plug, etc all positioned to fit the sockets on the back of the <insert name here>?

The Pandora has an IR port on the EXT connector, all it needs are the IR LED and receiver wired properly to an EXT connector and the right sys files twiddled into serial mode.
Ooh a minature IR dongle would be neat. The pandora is also a universal remote

Please keep the number of case holes and dust collectors as low as possible - as long as they add functionality, I'm fine with them (e.g. a third SD slot :) ), but redundant alternative versions of ports that are already there just seems like a waste to me. So please no dedicated docking port.

With SlimPort (DisplayPort using a microUSB connector), you could make a "docking station" using just that one connector: it can be used for video and audio out, charging and attaching a USB keyboard/mouse, all at the same time. When you're using it as a mobile device, it's still a usable microUSB port. No wasted space, no redundant dust holes.

Already planned, that's why we keep all important ports on the back :D
docking station similar to gp2x so we dont need a HDMI/VGA inside OP2. 

This could reduce a initial op2 price [HDMI ext] 

btw.. i couldnt google out original image of docking station for gp2x.. 

Docking station is a great idea and one of the main reasons why I supported the Ubuntu Edge phone even though I prefer phones with a physical keyboard.

If a docking station can also be used for P1 that would be awesome. I wouldn't mind if it is only possible with an additional cable/converter.  

I wouldn't mind if it is only possible with an additional cable/converter.
???

We can use HDMI/Display Port, USB 3.0  and the EXT port.

No need to make things more complicated.
He was talking about using the (hypothetical) P2 docking station for the P1.

Why would the docking station need the EXT port? Audio can be done through HDMI/DP.

In fact, with SlimPort, it can all be done through one single port (assuming you only need USB on the docking station for low bandwidth stuff like keyboard/mouse/controllers). That would be the most elegant solution in my opinion. Just have one full-size USB 3.0 port and one SlimPort (which is a micro-USB port which can be used for energy-efficient video/audio output over a USB cable with a passive adapter to DisplayPort or HDMI, full uncompressed HD at 60Hz with a 1Mbps sideband channel). Charging can be done through the SlimPort as well.

Back