Does Chrono Trigger Run Good On Gamepark?

vane505

Still Fresh
Hey... I'm thinking of getting a Gamepark.. but one condition has to befufilled before I buy it... and is that Chrono Trigger runs good. Please can someone tell me if Chrono Trigger runs perfectly... and about other games does many games run bad on a GP32?

Thank you : ) // Viggo

In short:
Most consoles pre nes (including nes) run pretty much 100% (give or take a couple of exceptions). Snes and Smd are still in development so some games may run better then others. Overclocking helps but not all GP32s can overclock well though.

I dont play chorno trigger so I cant help you with that part.

ah okey. tnx for the info.... uum do you meen that the emulators will be coded so that the GP32 don't need the power it has to have today to play SNES games or how would that work?

Thank you // Viggo

From memory, if you're happy to play without sound, Chrono Trigger runs brilliantly (barring a few possible transparency problems - mainly because OS9x doesn't support transparencies yet - so talking to people in the future domes may be awkward at times since you'll need to turn layer 3 off, I think. But if you know the game, that probably won't be a problem).

With sound its not amazing, even at 166, but if you're lucky enough to get a 200MHz machine, it'd probably work with sound at that at a decent speed.

It does not run perfectly, definitely not. However, if I remember correctly, it is very playable - I have the original cartridge for my SNES and let me tell you, there is an obvious difference. However, it gets a lot less obvious when you don't compare them side to side. So, the emulation is good, but not perfect, and I wouldn't try it with sound.

From memory, if you're happy to play without sound, Chrono Trigger runs brilliantly (barring a few possible transparency problems - mainly because OS9x doesn't support transparencies yet - so talking to people in the future domes may be awkward at times since you'll need to turn layer 3 off, I think. But if you know the game, that probably won't be a problem).

With sound its not amazing, even at 166, but if you're lucky enough to get a 200MHz machine, it'd probably work with sound at that at a decent speed.
Ahh so that's the problem, i was stuck there and didn't know what to do.
I play it without sound and it's great :D
I play it on the snes emu, but is the game also made for other systems?

Last edited by a moderator:
The newest version of os9xgp (0.3) has a new transparency hack which helps sort out a lot of problems in Chrono Trigger. (E.g the Domes). I find it playable, since you dont need that many animation frames in a game like this (in turn based combat for example).

i never played it on the snes but i had a highly enjoyable experience playing it on the old open snes (0.2), HOWEVER, i started a new game on version 0.3 and the transparency messes up the game too much in the domes, your best bet is to wait until a new version comes out

Yes, there is a version for PSX as well, but its basically the SNES game with added multimedia. As the main file of the game is almost exactly the size of the SNES rom, I wonder is they might have simply used the rom, coded a dedicated "emulator" and added the animations.

I just played it with the transparency hack, cool :D
Only I have to switch the hack every time someone says something in the dome :(

Like I say, turning layer 3 off. Its a pity the hack doesn't simply make layer 3 only write every other line, but hey - can't have everything...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back