Does pandora have a rtc

zacaj

void main()
Website
zacaj.com
I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the pandora would not have a real time clock, but ive seen some threads that mention a clock, does it have one?

Did we ever figure out if the Pandora would be able to set an alarm so it could automatically turn itself on at a specified time, after being turned off?

I think i remember, it's been said that it's a software problem.

We would need a kernel tuned for running at low power / low clocks.

This kernel would be used while charging the device and to keep track of alarms.

So technically the device is still on but in a very low power state.

Cell phones use this trick. They quickly reboot to a full OS when you put them on.

Depends on your definition of _off_.

The Pandora can wake to an alarm the same as a PDA or phone can -- ie: in their 'low power mode'.

An _off_ PDA/phone is _off_ and isn't waking up to anything; when you press the power button on a pda and it just turns 'off' immediately, its just 'asleep', and an alarm can wake it; a pandora is the same.

Its just the pandora isn't all tuned up to be asleep like that, and its a lot of work to get it like that.. but it could be in the cards sometime. (ie: a lot of drivers need work, and its not a pandora thing per se, its a linux on ARM thing in general.)

But certainly, with the 'low power mode' you have now, that _sort_ of thing, that coudl easily be programmatically awakened from (turn the screen back on, re-enable networking, etc, when an alarm goesd off. piece of cake.) Its just (imho) that right now, the pandora isn't lasting enough in low-power-mode that I want to leave it in that state all day long, unless you're keeping a charger at your desk :)

Someday..

jeff

Nokia phones (like from the 3310 era, maybe before) are capable of the basic wakeup by RTC for the alarm clock feature. They're as off as your PC would be if you use the wakeup by RTC feature that you will propably find in the bios settings of most even relatively modern PCs. Which means deeper sleep than STR (eg. no different from normal powering off because the RTC is powered anyways, by the backup battery if all else fails). My belief was and still is that the Pandora is capable of the same wakeup by RTC from the total off state (0.24mA by measurement btw). Just that propably nobody has written the code to configure the RTC&stuff for it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nokia phones (like from the 3310 era, maybe before) are capable of the basic wakeup by RTC for the alarm clock feature. They're as off as your PC would be if you use the wakeup by RTC feature that you will propably find in the bios settings of most even relatively modern PCs. Which means deeper sleep than STR (eg. no different from normal powering off because the RTC is powered anyways, by the backup battery if all else fails). My belief was and still is that the Pandora is capable of the same wakeup by RTC from the total off state (0.24mA by measurement btw). Just that propably nobody has written the code to configure the RTC&stuff for it yet.
I agree with your assessment. Not just the phones, the Nokia N800 internet tablet can also boot itself up at an alarm. The kernel isn't running. It needs the kernel running if it wants to charge, but not for alarms. I'm not certain if the N900 can also boot at an alarm, but my guess is "yes". It's got much of the same hardware as the Pandora.

Ah well, in most scenarios where you would want it to boot at a certain time (alarms, etc..)like for waking up, there will probably be a power plug around you, you could just leave it on and plugged in, and make a small shell script to play music at a certain time..

It would be a cool feature though.

EDIT: WOW, I didn't notice I was necro'ing this thread, sorry. I just clicked a similar topic on a different thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back