Does Sd Card Speed Affect Movie Playback?

Raphaelo

Still Fresh
Hello,

I have a problem with something.

Movie playback stutters on my gp2x, I have used xvid, divx and mpeg4, but movie playback isn't smooth. I think its because of a too high bitrate, because some animes i have do not stutter, but every 'normal' movie does, especially when using tv-out.

Sometimes during playback it suddenly speeds up for 1 or 2 seconds, i have heard something about variable bittrate, could that have something to do with it?

What i have tried already:

Set Movie Player settings to 'Full'
Install mp2x
Fresh Batteries
Overclock mp2x to 250 mhz with gmenu2x

my question is, does the speed of an SD card effect movie playback abillities?

Kind regards,
Raphaelo

What do you use to encode your videos? I use PocketDiVXEncoder, set to iRiver's PMP100.

Try this page for some bitrate suggestions. He recommends:

• 320x240 resolution
  • up to 2500 kbit/s video framerate
  • up to 284 kbit/s audio framerate
Lastly, check to make sure you haven't underclocked your video player (click the Y button to cycle through the options).

It definately can affect the playback if the card is WAY too slow and the bitrate pretty high.
But I don't think that's it, I also think you need to fiddle around with the encoding settings.

Check wheter you are accidentally playing videos in "safe" mode... No matter what you overclock before, safe mode will underclock your gp2x :)

[edit] consider my post as void - i overlooked your statement that you have carefully chosen "full" mode. Maybe you can share the videos you have so others can try themselves? (small parts of would do)

Back