Sd Memory Card Problem?

SecretAgent

Still Fresh
My GP2X is using Firmware 3.0 and I'm using a 2 gig Polaroid SD card.

Problem:
- After playing a MAME, NES, Genesis, SNES or a Movie file for awhile, when I shut it off and back on again I get a garbled screen (rainbow colored vertical lines). It also happens sometimes when certain games or emulators freeze up.

- Ususaly after like 30min I can play stuff again (sometimes it needs a few hours though).

Can anyone tell me what the problem may be? Is my SD card junk? Does the SD card need to be formated a certain way or something?

Anybody else get this problem (is it common)?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sounds like another "I just got my gp2x and I don't know what it looks like when my batteries are out, so I think somthing is wrong" topic.
try some fresh batteries..

don't worry, I had the same problem.. as did alot of people!

For best results use 2500mAh+ NiMh rechargeable batteries. They last for hours, and will start to save you lots of money in a matter of weeks.

- Alex

no, I'm pretty sure it's not the batteries. I swap those out and still get the garbled screen.

SecretAgent posted on Mar 5 2007 at 11:04 PM said:
no, I'm pretty sure it's not the batteries. I swap those out and still get the garbled screen.

... what kind of batteries are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Mar 5 2007 at 11:28 PM said:
SecretAgent posted on Mar 5 2007 at 11:04 PM said:

... what kind of batteries are you using?

I have Energizer 2500 mAh and I also have the stock 2500 mAh that come with the GP2X.

Usually I'll swap out for a fresh set for a test but, I still seem to get that garbled screen that last for 30min - a few hours then it will work again after it's been shut down for that time.

hmmm, I'd exchange it then ... that's indeed strange.

Sounds like part of the LCDs power supply system is malfunctioning. On the GP32 (I don't know about the GP2X's internal structure) there is a electomagnetic induction circuit that provides short-range (as in a few millimeters) wireless power to the lcd by generating a small magnetic field. This is a delicate circuit and if there were any problems with it it would cause what you describe to happen.

Electric toothbrushes use the same circuit in the battery charger so that you can't shock yourself by charging a wet toothbrush. You can see this effect by lifting the toothbrush slightly above the charger base. You will notice that it still gets power, thus through induction there is short-range wireless power.

If you turn it off/on too quickly, I get the same result as you. However, if I turn it off, wait 5 seconds (letting the caps discharge), and then turn it back on, all is fine.

Squidge posted on Mar 6 2007 at 01:36 AM said:
If you turn it off/on too quickly, I get the same result as you. However, if I turn it off, wait 5 seconds (letting the caps discharge), and then turn it back on, all is fine.

yeah, this is pretty much what happens though I have to let mine cool off for a longer time (30min or more).

I did a bit of messing around with it this weekend and found that if I get the garbled screen, turn off the system, take out the SD card, then turn the system on it boots up normal again. Now, if I pop the SD card back in after that it just goes back to that garbled screen and I still have to wait.

Somebody out there has to know what the heck this is all about.

It really seems like it has something to do with the SD card over a faulty unit.

Back