Sd Card Not Always Being Recognized?

Noremakk

Still Fresh
Sometimes when I stick in my SD card, everything works fine, and sometimes it behaves as though the card isn't plugged in. The more I use the card, the more often this happens. When I leave my 2X alone for a day or two, it happily reads the card.

As far as I can tell, there is no definite fix for this other than
a) Removing and re-inserting the card
B) Restarting the GP2X
c) Plugging in a different card, getting it to register that one (it sometimes doesn't even do that, either), then popping in the original one again.

Sometimes none of these work, and I'm left to sit on my chair, swearing out my ears at my friendly-looking white brick.

Anyone else have this problem, and do you have any definite solutions?

Noremakk said:
Sometimes when I stick in my SD card, everything works fine, and sometimes it behaves as though the card isn't plugged in. The more I use the card, the more often this happens. When I leave my 2X alone for a day or two, it happily reads the card.

B) Restarting the GP2X
c) Plugging in a different card, getting it to register that one (it sometimes doesn't even do that, either), then popping in the original one again.

Sometimes none of these work, and I'm left to sit on my chair, swearing out my ears at my friendly-looking white brick.

I have had this problem with each GP2X I have owned (1st edition, MK2, and now F200), BUT rebooting *always* allows the card to work again. If you are hot swapping (ie: swapping while the unit is on) stop doing it. Hot swapping is unreliable and works about 10% of the time ...at least for me. If you want to add some files to it, turn off the GP2X, add your files, turn on the GP2X and boot, and then insert the card. It should work fine then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noremakk said:
As zektor says, it is often just a software error that solves after restarting. If rebooting doesn't help you, it's a hardware error.

In Spanish forums at least two new F200 users reported that problem. They say that get worse with time: one day it just forgets about the card after half an hour, next day sometimes doesn't read cards and next week the Gp2x is useless.

No solution apart from changing the machine :(

This happened to me except it stopped reading cards altogether. Sent it back to play-asia.com where it's been sat waiting to be picked up at the PO Box address for NINE days!!!!! I just sent them a very stroppy e-mail and will be buying a new one from Craig's company as if it happens again, I don't want to go through all this again. Told Play-asia I want a refund in no uncertain terms.

zektor said:
Noremakk said:

B) Restarting the GP2X

I have had this problem with each GP2X I have owned (1st edition, MK2, and now F200), BUT rebooting *always* allows the card to work again. If you are hot swapping (ie: swapping while the unit is on) stop doing it. Hot swapping is unreliable and works about 10% of the time ...at least for me. If you want to add some files to it, turn off the GP2X, add your files, turn on the GP2X and boot, and then insert the card. It should work fine then.

Actually, "hot swapping" seems to fix the problem sometimes... It's kind of odd. It doesn't see it when it boots up, but then I pull it out, wait a couple seconds, stick it back in, and it works again about 40% of the time.

Back