Does The Gp2x Have Any Multiplayer Or Online Functions?

Deaths Shepherd

Still Fresh
Does the gp2x have any multiplayer or online functions, i've already ordered a gp2x, and if it has (i doubt it) this would just be the icing on the cake.

I guess using a cradle and usb wifi adaptor'd work...
If you have a f100 (I'm guessing with f200, as it's a recent order) You could also use usb networking

There aren't many things designed for GP2X that have this functionality built-in specifically, but alot of ports may contain code for networking. I've never tested this myself though.

Can't you have 4 player split screen play with the breakout box? I have 2player pong on my system- its basic but it is multiplayer....

Station said:
Does the gp2x have any multiplayer or online functions
With a cradle, external gamepads and a TV, up to four gamers can play to many emulators: MAME, CP2S, Genesis/Megadrive, MasterSystem, NES...

Some games, such as Doom or Quake, *may* have networking support. But both a network connection without the need of a near computer and wiring two Gp2x need a great amount of work and knowledge (kernel hacking and/or solding included). And if you have a computer in the surroundings... what you need the Gp2x for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Station said:
Does the gp2x have any multiplayer or online functions, i've already ordered a gp2x, and if it has (i doubt it) this would just be the icing on the cake.
With the cradle you can play multiplayer games on picodrive (sega emulator), I recommend golden axe.

Also wind&water has two player support and (I'm really awaiting implementation of this) ur-quan masters two player melee will be added in the future.

Playing games with control pads, it's hopeless i have 2 pads "saitek and logitech" both of these pads can't be used for picodrive, it doesn't work at all i don't really think the gp2x cradle can do multiplayer using control pads, I know for a fact to play most emulators need HID pads where can i get these kinds of pads, here is the list homebrew and emulators don't work with the pads i have:

1)Picodrive new version
2)cps2
3)gngeo2x beta-only works with saitek pad
4)beats of rage
5)prboom
6)Quake
7)Hexen
8)Heretic2x

I will test more of them, it's very disappointing hardly none of these work, please can anyone tell me if anyone has tried these and they work and if yes which pads are you using. :angry:

sukhigp said:
I will test more of them, it's very disappointing hardly none of these work, please can anyone tell me if anyone has tried these and they work and if yes which pads are you using. :angry:
My Dragonplus pads work with last version of Picodrive, CPS2, Mame, Gngeo (only one player), PocketSnes (only one player) These are the only emulators that I've tested, but I suppose that the pads will work with any other game/emulator... that supports external pads.

The Gp2x supports standard, plug&play pads. The thumbs rule: if your PC doesn't need special drivers for your pad, neither does your Gp2x.

Have you switched USB Host and HID modules on in your system menu?

@sukhigp:
At the time I ported Heretic and Hexen the Cradle wasn't yet released and therefore it lacks support for USB controllers. Maybe I should do a little update.

EDIT: Here is a little hack which you could try for Heretic: Open the .gpe file with a hex editor and change the byte at offset 9FB8 from 00 to 01. This byte controls which gamepad should be used. 0 is the builtin gamepad, so 1 should be the first USB pad. Would be nice if you could tell me if it works.

Back