Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GP2X MK2 Zero dead pixels

• GP2X MK1 One or more dead pixels

• GP2X MK2 One or more dead pixels

• Total voters

I think mine does. But the "pixel" is white (and gets whiter with the backlight). Shouldnt it be black? It appears white even when the unit is off. Is there a way i can open it and get to the lcd screen to check what it is/clean it?
I suppose it's possible to have one stuck on white, but it seems unlikely. Are you sure it's not dust?

No stuck/dead on my MK2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a weird half stuck pixel near the bottom center on my mk2. On the gp2xmenu test screens, it looks fine. On the green "cargando" screen in gngeo it's very clear. Otherwise it's mostly only noticeable if you're looking for it.

Background:

Pixels are made of three color components, red, green and blue.
LCD screens work by actually switching off light - so the LCD is blocking light to create a black screen.
This is why on some screens total black doesn't work very well as the screen is not effectively blocking the light from behind.

There are 5 varieties of dead pixels:

The first three types are one for each of the color components being stuck so that the light is not blocked.
ie. on a black screen it will display either red, green or blue.

The two other types are totally white or black. White meaning that all colors are always off and black meaning that all colors are always on. These are the worst type and most likely not fixable.

I'd be interested to know if people with dead pixels of the R,G or B variety try the pixel fixer software to see if it helps.

Otherwise it's been an interesting poll so far, for a while there was only a single reported GP2X out there with a dead pixel, but a few others have joined the ranks now. So far running at about a 5% dead pixel rate.

shinneri posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:17 AM said:
I think mine does. But the "pixel" is white (and gets whiter with the backlight). Shouldnt it be black? It appears white even when the unit is off. Is there a way i can open it and get to the lcd screen to check what it is/clean it?
I suppose it's possible to have one stuck on white, but it seems unlikely. Are you sure it's not dust?

No stuck/dead on my MK2.

Yes, it's most likely dust especially if you can see it when the unit is off. It could be cleaned, you could pry off the screen protector and use "canned air" to blow it away.

To avoid more dust from getting in, you should do it in a room with high humidiy. ie. go into the bathroom and run the hot water in the shower to create a steamy atmosphere and do it.

Well it seems that 1:25 GP2X units have a dead pixel, which is not quite as good as I would have hoped. I was thinking that 1:100 would be an excellent ratio.

Thanks to everyone who voted.

slaanesh posted on Feb 1 2007 at 05:15 PM said:
Well it seems that 1:25 GP2X units have a dead pixel, which is not quite as good as I would have hoped. I was thinking that 1:100 would be an excellent ratio.

well, the polls only been up one day or so! give it a bit more time. maybe there will be more non-dead votes (like i just did)

Yes, it's most likely dust especially if you can see it when the unit is off. It could be cleaned, you could pry off the screen protector and use "canned air" to blow it away.

To avoid more dust from getting in, you should do it in a room with high humidiy. ie. go into the bathroom and run the hot water in the shower to create a steamy atmosphere and do it.

how likely is it that dust will get behind the screen protector if you take the back off the unit (for hw mods or whatnot)?

i tried the pixel unlocker video that was made for the psp, but my death (broken?) pixels still don't display blue (all other colors are fine)

My GP32 BLU (not +) had a blue stuck pixel in the bottom-right corner. I tried a stuck pixel fixer on the laptop for hours and it did nothing. Oh well.

slaanesh posted on Feb 1 2007 at 07:15 AM said:

Wow there! Out of a sample this size, it would be impossible to tell, or even get a general idea - add to that the psychological tendency that someone with a dead pixel is more likely to vote/ post in this thread.

...lies, damned lies and statistics...

i blow the dust out of mine with a can of compressed air i got for my pc... :D i forgot to mention no dead pixels....3 in my psp,,,some on my old dell laptop......

gah, i cant find what to pry up. from what i can see the clear plastic rectangle that covers the screen has no space to pry around the edge and no way of grippign it (A in my pic). Does everyone mean the whole front section (where the buttons are and everything)? If so is there a nack to getting that bit off (B)?

newblackcc1.gif

I'm happy with my GP2X's lack of dead pixels - one of the two PSP's we have in the house has three dead pixels, and one of the three DS Lites we have has two dead pixels; the poll results here would suggest that the GP2X enjoys a better ratio of 100% good LCDs...

Back