Doom Help (sorry)

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Website
www.zaonce.com
I guess I'll get a virtual slap for this, but I've just got my GP32 and I want to start playing Doom. I've put the fxe in the /GPMM directory and the doom1.wad in the /GAME/DOOM directory. When I start doom, I get the menu with the spooky skull backdrop, but as soon as I press start to start the game, the GP32 reset.

I've looked through the forums and can't find a similar problem described, so I'm asking now.

Please help!

It sounds like there is something wrong with the wad file, try copying it across again and make sure its all there and is the right size.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

"KEEEEEEP K0oOOOOOO MA BAbIeAS!!!!!"-conan o bryan
jus thought i said sumthin so u guys can remember me :D

another question aimed at the gp32 xtreme team y is my 3rd picture in my signature gone????? WHERES VEGETA??????????

I've tried several different doom1.wad files. What size should they be the? The one that works on my mac is 4,196,020 bytes. If I have no wad at all, I get the 'no Doom for you' message, so at least it is finding it, but it still resets when the wad is there.

I don't get any boot messages, unless I am looking in the wrong place - does it put them in a log file or something? The reset is pretty instant, so there is no time to see anything on the screen...

Should I try reloading the fxe?

Thanks for your help

Try using doom2 or plutonia, or any of Falkon80's independant conversions. If they don't work either, then it is perhaps less likely to be a wad file problem.

Also, are you sending the files over via a SMC reader? If yes, make sure you eject the reader using the "unplug/eject" option. Some of them (e.g. mine, the little wossname) use delayed write techniques to make it seem like they're transfering stuff faster, where in fact, the remaining data is transfered during the next few minutes - telling windows to eject it forces it to either finish writing in that moment, or at least tell you it can't do so because it still has stuff to write.

Also, Craigx, does doom try to store any log files or write in any dirs? There are some official games, for example, which refuse to work unless you create the GPSYS directory, since they assume you've formatted your SMC using PClink (which would have created it anyway).

That's my ideas out - hope one of them helped...

Hmmm - I've now tried several doom1.wads which I thought were the shareware version and still no success.

Could anybody send me a link to a wad file that is known to work on a GP32? The link on this site seems to be broken.

I'm going to buy the Doom collection - I presume that I will just be able to download the wads from the CD when I get it?

I'm using a mac to download the files to the GP32 using Mr Spiv's maclink. It seems to wait until the file has finished download, even when the GP32 says it's completed. I've tried leaving it for a few minutes but that didn't make any difference, so I assume that isn't the problem.

I'm dying to play some doom on this thing!

Thanks for your help so far...

Back