Doom

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Doomy.gif

DOOM Review
I am Sooo amazed nobody has done this one, I know everyone on the planet knows of Doom, but hey, what the heck, here goes.​

Intro

Doom is possibly the most known game on the planet, except for maybe Space Invaders, oh and Pacman, not forgetting Sonic the Hedgehog, oh and… Wait, This is about Doom…

Doom was the brainchild of ID Software and was released sometime around 1993ish, It was almost the “First” FPS (First Person Shooter) on the PC, and had it’s legacy in the form of Wolfenstein 3D (Wolf 3D) and Spear of Destiny (SOD :lol: ).

The story
The UAC (Union Aerospace Corporation) is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. It’s been tinkering with research on inter-dimensional space travel, opening jump gates between the two moons, don’t you just know something’s gonna go wrong? The experiment goes wrong (Ha told you) and something nasty materialises through the jump gates, all contact with Mars is lost, Pause while scary music plays.

A crack team is assembled and sent to Mars to investigate, and guess what, you’re part of the team, EEK! Your troops go in, you hear screams and firing all around you, then you lose contact with the rest of your squad. This is sounding more and more like Aliens II as I type. Oh Noo, You’re on your own. This is where the game begins, you will meet all manner of horrible wee beasties, including your former comrades in action, who have now turned mentalist.
Run around, shoot everything, find keys, pickup weapons, open doors and make your way to your doom. Scary stuff innit….

Our Hero
OurHero.gif

He’s one tough dude, He uses a revolver to play tiddly winks. All through the game He looks at you from the bottom of the screen with a grin. You can judge His health by the smile, or the, er, blood. He can take quite a few hits before dieing, but no worries mate (I wonder if He’s an Auzzie?) you can pick up health to top it up.

Wee Beasties
SpiderMastermind.gif

These guys are Nasty, you will meet anything from mental humans to massive brains on mechanical legs that look like spiders EWWWWW…. Whoever designed these must have overdosed on toffee crisps as they are truly diabolical. Evil doesn’t even come close to explaining how nasty they are. Jason and the Argonauts eat your hearts out, you won’t find any golden fleeces to fix that paper cut in Doom you know

Graphics B)
At the time, the graphics were totally ground breaking, I remember playing it on a 386 and I was totally blown away. It felt like real 3D and even had different light levels for different areas .The artwork was truly something out of a horror movie, it still looks ohh so scary today.
Doom isn’t however truly 3D, It’s simple a bunch of rooms connected to each other. Take the doors for instance, doors are simply a very thin room! When the door is shut, the ceiling of that room is the same height as the floor, to open the door, the ceiling is raised, Simple! You cannot have one room above another in doom. Mind you, I never noticed this when I first played it as the maps are very cleverly designed.

screen.jpg

Screenshot
Sound B)
Amazing. Just like the graphics, the sound fits the mood. The creatures scream when they see you, the weapons sound meaty, even the doors sound like they are alive. It’s a shame the Playstation version had a different sound bank, it wasn’t the same.
So many times I have nearly wet my knickers when I have walked into a room and WAAARGGHHH something screams in my ear, jeez. They got it just right! I have heard many other games and even films that have used samples from the game, just goes to show, or rather hear…

Game Play :blink:
What CAN I say, This game scared the hell outta me, I remember playing this at 1:00am in the dark with headphones on. Next thing I knew was one of the guys who lived in my house racing into my room as he heard me screaming a lot. I got more fun out of the scaryness than I have with a horror movie in years. Enough said really!

GP32 gp32_console
And here we are, this was one of the main reasons I bought the GP32. and after playing it all I can say is “Wow”, I have played doom on many other systems, and none come close to the original PC version. Except for this one. The GP32 version is soo alike the original Doom it’s amazing. If I wore a hat, I would take it off to Rob, Craig and Tom, who have done an amazing job. Thanks boys (Blows kiss).

Summary ;)
The game is such a classic, it’s hard to sum it up. If I was to think of one word to describe it, that word would be “extraordinary”. Even that isn’t good enough. My thanks to the following for the game and for being able to play this marvel on the GamePark32
ID Software – Original developers
Craig, Rob and Tom - GP32 conversion

Score
100 / 10 GIGGLES

I really hope I have done the game Justice!!!!!
:wub:
Recently, I have written the Doom Bad Guys list, here's the link Doom Bad Guys Hope you enjoy.

cozmic posted on Oct 2 2004 at 09:00 PM said:
Clever stuff this review and, hey, it IS fun to read.

Are you a colummist by chance?

Moi, a columinum, a Culimbium, a Collyumnis, a columnist? Gosh no, I just do it for fun!

Glad you liked it though

Clare.

Last edited by a moderator:
cozmic posted on Oct 2 2004 at 09:06 PM said:
exqueeze me for my crappy english ;)

GIGGLES.

I wasn't having a go at your english, I was just having a giggle at myself :)

:wub:

:lol: , love the way you set it out with the our hero and a picture of the Doom dude and the imp under the enemies bit. ;) nice review but i disagree with the score it should be 1000/10 only cause it was such a good game all those years back, many memories of cacking myself when i saw one of those pink demented pig things and the cacodemons.

Got a thought, if anyone asks, I will do a feature added on to this on all the Doom enemies, with pics and amusing descriptions.......

In fact, i bought the GP32 for Doom too. Playing doom in a handheld console is so elite, and the GP32 port is the best. I can't describe the sensation when you are at the WC playing doom, lol.

Thanks for that very inventive and enjoyable review, Clare (although the 100/10 irks me a little :) ) - I never bothered to play past the first couple of levels but I will take another look... on the GP32 of course. That said, I'm still enjoying Doom 3 regardless... but I think despite the lack of flashy graphics I'll still enjoy Doom. I play NetHack occasionally and that's made entirely out of text characters :)

scrn3b.gif

(although usually it's in full technicolour)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 2 2004 at 10:14 PM said:
Got a thought, if anyone asks, I will do a feature added on to this on all the Doom enemies, with pics and amusing descriptions.......
I would look forward to that.

Rico posted on Oct 2 2004 at 11:24 PM said:
I never bothered to play past the first couple of levels but I will take another look... on the GP32 of course.

Wow, you missed out on a lot then, never saw the huge stompy things etc....

Okay, as asked, I will compile the DOOM nasty creature list. Keep you eye peeled.

Do you think it should be a new thread or attached to this one?

you've been writing great reviews lately as they are interesting and nicely designed. keep em coming :)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 3 2004 at 07:13 AM said:
Enslaved posted on Oct 3 2004 at 05:05 AM said:
You should make a thread in the GPDoom section.
Is there a section devoted to GPQuake?
no, not yet. But for doom enimies go on this site:
www.cslab.ece.ntua.gr/~phib/doom1.htm
btw click on the shotgun to see them all dying :p

Hi folks,

I have just written the guide to Doom Enemies, I tried to post it here, but this forum only appears to allow 10 images in a review, so I have put it online instead at: Doom Enemies

Hope you enjoy the read.

Clare.

:D the best thing since McCain's Micro Chips. you should link to it from your original review :)

Back