Doom's History.

DrJones

I figured, with the recent discussions about Doom 1, Doom 2, Ultimate and Final Doom, it would be interesting for some to take a look here.

It's a brief history about Doom versions. (the whole thing also goes about sourceports). But you can also see in the genealogy tree how each version came to be. I'm not sure off whcih version GPDoom was intially based off, as I recall CraigX took over from someone else who ported a Doom version.

I hope this sheds some light on things. :)

Doom was initially ported from the atari ST version by Tom (see V1 and V2), then I took over and added sound and the boot screen, support for external wads and various other bits and options (V3 to V8), then Rob took over and added in his mus player and took it over to the new GCC + his custom libs (V9).

Also there was a long period of hacking trying to get saves to work successfully by me tom and rob - rob eventually wrote a new smc lib and they are about 90% working now (the odd problem, but nothing as bad as it was).

See the credits screen, also you can try versions V1 to V9 and in each you can see the development very clearly progressing.

Oh and I do believe Jeff Frohwein wrote the VGA to GP32 routine.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I've been playing DOOM quite a lot on the Doomsday Engine recently - And I realised that DOOM just have.... something....

I really think this game will out-live many games. Pepole will probably keep coming back years after - still playing this game. I litteratly still get terrifired when I go around a corner and run into an imp. Something about this game keeps me... on the edge.

Gonna take a sanative now.

I know what you mean. :)

I've been playing Doom for a long time and the game holds no surprises for me when it comes to gameplay and moster capabilities, however I can still be a bit surprised at times when traps are sprung on me in custom maps.

Heck, there's strategy to taking on monsters.

Imagine, you're in a large room, low on health, no armor and just the double-barrel shotgun with plenty of shells.

Now, suppose a bunch of monsters pile in. Five imp's, four demon's, three hell-knight's, one baron of hell and finally, one revenant.

Who would you kill first and then second? Experienced players will most likely give the correct order based on the most dangerous enemy, working downwards. This does mean that the baron of hell isn't potentially most dangerous. :)

I'm curious what the answers will be :)

Back