Dosbox 0.72-3

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Read the Readme for the all the specific details.

New features:
Save config mapper item, a key press that will save cycles/frameskip/OSD color selections while dosbox is running.

This version has mainly fixes:
No more OSD flicker
Some mouse emulation fixes
OSD color selection fixes/improvments
Readded the MMU hack and profiled, about 1 fps more in one test i did. Every little bit counts i guess.

This will probally be the last release in a while. The only improvement couls be a dynarec, but I dont see that happening any time soon.

Hope everyone enjoy's it. Thanks to everyone that contributed to making this much happen.

Nice, no more OSD flicker. Great work. Thank you so very much. :)

I do hope that a dynarec would eventually materialize.

Manjuu said:

Thanks, it took a bit to get that flickerless code down, but it works pretty good now.
I too want the dynarec. Maybe someday

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Manjuu said:

Thanks, it took a bit to get that flickerless code down, but it works pretty good now.
I too want the dynarec. Maybe someday

:unsure: I don't undestand wich to active the mouse emulation, i have a gp2x f100, i want play to EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 2 but i can't move the cursor.
Help please. "EYE FO THE BEHOLDER 2 work pretty well, no perfect, but good"

DARKGATE said:
:unsure: I don't undestand wich to active the mouse emulation
Add gp2x_mouse_speed=1 to your dosbox.conf in the SDL section. Increase 1 to something higher if the cursor moves too fast.

congrats on this man

has anyone got the incredible machine to work on this?

and what is in your opinion the newer game wich can be playable on the emulator?

i mean, because of graphic complexity or hardware requirement, for example

just as a reference, so i can see wich one of my old favorites can have a shot

thanks

jjplano said:
congrats on this man

and what is in your opinion the newer game wich can be playable on the emulator?

thanks
Im pretty sure someone was running TIM, maybe hitnrun, I cant remember. Your best bet is to try things that run on a 286 or very low 386. I run duke nukum 1-3, commander keen 1-4, dangress dave Hautned mansion, pinball fantasies, covert action, prince of persia.

Pickle said:
jjplano said:
congrats on this man

thanks
Im pretty sure someone was running TIM, maybe hitnrun, I cant remember. Your best bet is to try things that run on a 286 or very low 386. I run duke nukum 1-3, commander keen 1-4, dangress dave Hautned mansion, pinball fantasies, covert action, prince of persia.

Yes TIM works, but very slow (4fps), and it uses high resolution (640x400) so is not too playable.
TIM was the original reason I tried DOSBox :)

I remember I disabled sound blaster and enabled PC speaker only, you may try this if you are having problems.

thanks guys

Hitnrun said:
Yes TIM works, but very slow (4fps), and it uses high resolution (640x400) so is not too playable.
TIM was the original reason I tried DOSBox :)

I remember I disabled sound blaster and enabled PC speaker only, you may try this if you are having problems.
hitnrun, can you please upload your config files somewhere?

i cant even make it start :(

and its strange, because on an older version of dosbox, i get to see the sierra logo

jjplano said:
hitnrun, can you please upload your config files somewhere?
i cant even make it start :(
and its strange, because on an older version of dosbox, i get to see the sierra logo
Make sure your paths are correct, that seems to be a common problem. You could post gpe, autoexec section and describe your folder structure we might be able to see the problem.

i fixed it

i was leaving the conf gpe and mapper files outside the game's folder :p

the game started, even with speaker sound

i was getting crazy trying to control the thing with the touchscreen (it works very buggy and to the right; i havent upgrade my f200s firmware since 4.0, has something to do with that?), until i realize i could control it with the pad and buttons

its slow, but its somehow playable

TIM on GP2X (Y)

thank you very much for this :)

jjplano said:
i fixed it

i was leaving the conf gpe and mapper files outside the game's folder :p

the game started, even with speaker sound

i was getting crazy trying to control the thing with the touchscreen (it works very buggy and to the right; i havent upgrade my f200s firmware since 4.0, has something to do with that?), until i realize i could control it with the pad and buttons

its slow, but its somehow playable

TIM on GP2X (Y)

thank you very much for this :)
TIM was one of the application I used to test the touchscreen code, but it a game that uses "strange" resolutions (640x400), and does some tricks with the mouse (it can't move on the bottom half of the screen), so it does not work very well.
But it was very hard to make it work at least a little well :lol:

hi guys

today i had a little spare time, and i remember that i got TIM on my gp2x :)

so i started to tweak the conf file a little, to see what happend

and after dozens of tries, i think i manage to got the game as playable as it can be, almost at full speed when the action is really basic (like a single ball falling and such)

i uploaded the file, if you want to give it a try

http://galeon.com/antiblog/TIM.conf

let me know how it go if you do

thanks again pickle, hitnrun and all who has been involved in this

Thanks for the conf file jjplano. No luck yet, it doesn't get past the command prompt. Could I pester you for the GPE and mapper files as well? I know the GPE is a no-brainer to do, but I just want to make sure I'm using the same three files as you.

hi gruso, youre welcome man :)

check all this (to use my config file) and it should start

1) "dosbox" (that exact name) folder on the sd card root (NOT on "game" or another one)
2) "tim" folder inside dosbox (route -> "sd/dosbox/tim")
3) all three files (.conf, .gpe, mapper) inside "tim" folder
4) tim.gpe as follows:

#! /bin/sh
DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/dosbox
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/tim
cd ${DIRGAME}
${DIRROOT}/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/TIM.conf
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

please note that the dosbox.conf has been renamed TIM.conf

and that should be it

posting mapper.txt file has no point, as i think i havent change the one that comes with the release. i use the left and right shoulder buttons to play the game (like mouse buttons, only inverted)

please let know how it was ;)

yeah, im playing the game on the (i guess) 10th or 12th and things get pretty slow there, when the monkeys are riding the bikes, the hamsters running on the wheel and the cats walking all over the place :p

but as i said, i think it cant get better than this :(

but hey, better this than no tim at all!! :lol:

:blink:

total newb here, still waiting for my f-200 to arrive, I think i understand everything about dosbox EXCEPT the mapper.txt...it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confusing :(

For example, i know this version includes a default-mapper.txt as an example, and a virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt for virtual keyboard.

1) MOUSE

In Dosbox.conf it has this in the comments under SDL: "# sensitivity -- Mouse sensitivity."

But in the readme, it says "gp2x_mouse_speed = 0" will turn on mouse sensitivity..which is it? Both? Why does the comments section in dosbox.conf not mention this?

Also it mentions that you need to add "hand_leftclick" and "hand_rightclick" to mapper.txt in addition to regular keys. What I don't understand here too is if you turn on mouse, does that mean you no longer need to map arrow keys on keyboard to gp2x? Like a point-and-click game such as enhanced space quest 1...I would only need to bind the mouse left click and right click right?

would an acceptable mapper.txt for a total point-and-click game like that simply be: (in addition to adding "gp2x_mouse_speed = 0" to SDL of dosbox.conf)

CODE

hand_leftclick "key 256"
hand_rightclick "key 257"
key_esc "key 264"

I would only need those keys since everything can be done in a game like enhanced space quest 1 with just a mouse and the ESC key right? I could get away with a 3-line mapper.txt??

2) VIRTUAL KEYBOARD

I am very confused by the whole virtual keyboard thing.... :(

If the GP2xkeys only correspond to keys 256-274, why does the default-mapper.txt have so many other key numbers for mapping? That is probably the most confusing aspect for me. For example it lists key_rctrl mapped to "key 305"...but there is no key 305 on the gp2x right? Is it there for the sake of the virtual keyboard? And if so, why does the default-mapper.txt not include a value for turning ON the keyboard via "hand_g2virtkey"???? Unless it's "hand_mapper" which is in there.... but the readme says the value for turning on virtual keyboard is "hand_g2virtkey"??? Im SO confused :unsure:

Ok so you map a GP2x Key to turn it on using "hand_g2virtkey" and then copy paste the virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt contents into your mapper.txt file right?

Let me see if I get all this, I would start with a base mapping of the following GP2x keys:

UP (0) key 256
UPLEFT (1) key 257
LEFT (2) key 258
DOWNLEFT (3) key 259
DOWN (4) key 260
DOWNRIGHT (5) key 261
RIGHT (6) key 262
UPRIGHT (7) key 263
START (8) key 264
SELECT (9) key 265
L (10) key 266 (Values for the shoulders may be switched)
R (11) key 267
A (12) key 268
B (13) key 269
Y (14) key 270
X (15) key 271
VOLUP (16) key 272
VOLDOWN (17) key 273
STICK CLICK (18) key 274

Once you map those keys to a keyboard key, like for example key 256 (up) to key_up... and make sure to map a key to turn on virtual keyboard by using "hand_g2virtkey",

Then underneath that, you'd paste the contents of virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt right? and that's it?

My brain is gonna melt :eek:

For example, why is it in every example of a mapper.txt it assigns:

key_kp_1 "key 257"

I assume kp_1 is the "1" on the numlock right? In which case that is down-left, but key 257 is UP-left...so why map the down-left in a numlock pad to UP-left???

In the duke3d config example the mapper.txt has the following:

CODE
key_up "key 256"
key_left "key 257"
key_left "key 258"
key_left "key 259"
key_down "key 260"
key_right "key 261"
key_right "key 262"
key_right "key 263"

Why does it assign 3 gp2x keys to "key_left"? Why does this particular mapping ignore up-left etc.?

3) MOD/ STICK CLICK ON F200

What is "mod" ?? It seems like a shift function right? It is assigned to 274 (stick click) in the virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt, and the readme says I cant change anything in the virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt or it will not work. The f-200 does not have a stick click function right? so how would I use mod?

^ one of the reasons why I want a easy to use Frontend for the GP2X Dosbox. All this config-stuff is way to complicated fo a Handheld programm and for the average "I just want to play" User. I hope, onto the Pandora we will have a more comfortably Dosbox Version.

I cant get the stupid quotes to work, if someone sees the mistake let me know
I have gone through the best i can, I might have to go through to fix any editing mistakes. So recheck the actual thread for the current contents. If you still have q's fire away and ill try to answer the best I can.

Ok im going to try my best to try and help you out. As im going through this you have a lot questions.
I find once I have a working config I use it for other games and tweak it.
Second thanks for taking the time to post issues with the readme, if no one asks Im not going to change it.

:blink:
total newb here, still waiting for my f-200 to arrive, I think i understand everything about dosbox EXCEPT the mapper.txt...it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confusing :(

For example, i know this version includes a default-mapper.txt as an example, and a virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt for virtual keyboard.

Ok there is only one mapper.txt, the default mapper is probally useless. I think it comes with dosbox by default. I think it might be a fallback file if a mapper isnt given. We shouold always specify a mapper so again it's useless as far as I know.
The virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt contains all of the mappings needed for the virtual keyaboard to work. It there to be copied into your real mapper.txt.

1) MOUSE

In Dosbox.conf it has this in the comments under SDL: "# sensitivity -- Mouse sensitivity."

But in the readme, it says "gp2x_mouse_speed = 0" will turn on mouse sensitivity..which is it? Both? Why does the comments section in dosbox.conf not mention this?
I use this parameter as a enable/disable and senstivity options. If no value is set I dont turn the mouse feature on, but if a value is set I wait that number event polling loops. In other words the higher the number the slow the cursor will move across the screen.

Also it mentions that you need to add "hand_leftclick" and "hand_rightclick" to mapper.txt in addition to regular keys.
Those parameters let you map any gp2x button to a left/right click action.

What I don't understand here too is if you turn on mouse, does that mean you no longer need to map arrow keys on keyboard to gp2x? Like a point-and-click game such as enhanced space quest 1...I would only need to bind the mouse left click and right click right?
Depends on the game, maybe you only need mouse actions then define the speed, left, right clicks. If you need keyboard buttons then map those too. In your example for space quest you only need the mouse.

would an acceptable mapper.txt for a total point-and-click game like that simply be: (in addition to adding "gp2x_mouse_speed = 0" to SDL of dosbox.conf)

CODE

hand_leftclick "key 256"
hand_rightclick "key 257"
key_esc "key 264"
YES!

I would only need those keys since everything can be done in a game like enhanced space quest 1 with just a mouse and the ESC key right? I could get away with a 3-line mapper.txt??
YES! again

2) VIRTUAL KEYBOARD

I am very confused by the whole virtual keyboard thing.... :(
Ok this can be confusing maybe if i explain whats really happening in the code it might help. The GP2X buttons are detected as SDL joystick presses. In order to play dos games we need these to be seen as dos machine keyboard keys. So in the code every GP2X SDL button is transformed into a SDL Keyboard press (these are events that would come from the host machine, not the dos machine). The GP2X keys are now generating the number pad keys. This is where the mapper comes in. Dosbox sees the number pad keys and looks them up in the mapper.txt file to map them to dos machine keys.

GP2X SDL Button -> modified by code -> SDL keyboard key -> translated by mapper -> Dosbox keyboard key

I want to explain here what happening with the virtual keyboard. When you turn this on the buttons are all taken over by the virtual keyboard. When you select a key to be sent a SDL keyboard key is generated, which is translated by the mapper.txt into a dos keyaboard key. Thats why that huge list of mappings in the virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt is used for.

If the GP2xkeys only correspond to keys 256-274, why does the default-mapper.txt have so many other key numbers for mapping? That is probably the most confusing aspect for me. For example it lists key_rctrl mapped to "key 305"...but there is no key 305 on the gp2x right? Is it there for the sake of the virtual keyboard? And if so, why does the default-mapper.txt not include a value for turning ON the keyboard via
"hand_g2virtkey"???? Unless it's "hand_mapper" which is in there.... but the readme says the value for turning on virtual keyboard is "hand_g2virtkey"??? Im SO confused :unsure:
Again as above that default mapper is more for use on a PC based machine not the gp2x. Maybe I should remove it.

Ok so you map a GP2x Key to turn it on using "hand_g2virtkey" and then copy paste the virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt contents into your mapper.txt file right?
YES!

Let me see if I get all this, I would start with a base mapping of the following GP2x keys:

UP (0) key 256
UPLEFT (1) key 257
LEFT (2) key 258
DOWNLEFT (3) key 259
DOWN (4) key 260
DOWNRIGHT (5) key 261
RIGHT (6) key 262
UPRIGHT (7) key 263
START (8) key 264
SELECT (9) key 265
L (10) key 266 (Values for the shoulders may be switched)
R (11) key 267
A (12) key 268
B (13) key 269
Y (14) key 270
X (15) key 271
VOLUP (16) key 272
VOLDOWN (17) key 273
STICK CLICK (18) key 274

Once you map those keys to a keyboard key, like for example key 256 (up) to key_up... and make sure to map a key to turn on virtual keyboard by using "hand_g2virtkey",

Then underneath that, you'd paste the contents of virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt right? and that's it?
I think youve got the idea. The action goes on the left and the gp2x key goes on the right.

For example, why is it in every example of a mapper.txt it assigns:

key_kp_1 "key 257"

I assume kp_1 is the "1" on the numlock right? In which case that is down-left, but key 257 is UP-left...so why map the down-left in a numlock pad to UP-left???

In the duke3d config example the mapper.txt has the following:

CODE
key_up "key 256"
key_left "key 257"
key_left "key 258"
key_left "key 259"
key_down "key 260"
key_right "key 261"
key_right "key 262"
key_right "key 263"

Why does it assign 3 gp2x keys to "key_left"? Why does this particular mapping ignore up-left etc.?

I did this because duke doesnt use the diag's and my F100 left has a dead zone. This gives me a better change of hitting left. I have an example of all the directions if you need it.

3) MOD/ STICK CLICK ON F200

What is "mod" ?? It seems like a shift function right? It is assigned to 274 (stick click) in the virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt, and the readme says I cant change anything in the virtual_keyboard_mapper.txt or it will not work. The f-200 does not have a stick click function right? so how would I use mod?

Yes mod is like a shift. It basically lets us do button combos. So with my F100 I use the stick click in combination with other buttons to do these special events. So for an F200 you could use the left shoulder or any other button.

Back