Dosbox For Dingoo A320

A lot of app works very fine and without any change (Scummvm, Open Bor, uPCE... for my test) so It's should not be a problem for you but the launcher of Mame4All, FBA & Picodrive have this display bug.

That's because all of these emulators are hard-coded to use 16-bit display drivers only. They will need special handling for 32-bit video modes.
It's a bit of pain as 32-bit color is unnecessary. I don't think you really gain anything and it's slower.

:p

Ther's a piece of code in dingoonity board that give a trick to 32 bits display. Hope you'll get the courage (and time) to make a NN release of FBA and Mame... :lol:

I'd certainly be curious to see MAME and FBA running on the Nanonote but not sure if it's very suitable considering the lack of suitable controls.
So I don't know if there would be any advantage other than curiosity sake.
The big advantage that I can see would be for something like DOSBox where the emulated device main input was keyboard.
So computer emulators would be ideal.
Frotz (z machine text adventure emulator ) would also be nice.
So would Rogue. And Nethack. Mmm actually thinking of these two alone has just made that Nanonote purchase worth the while! :)

I'll probably port all of these.

Nethack is already available (not try it yet) on the wiki page
For Mame and FBA, I've try OpenBoar and for brawler/beat'em up playing with a keyboard is not a problem at all. That's not the case ofr fighhting game but as I don't play this kinbd of game, I'll be very happy if you port Mame & FB.
Of course I'm waiting for Dosbox. That's one of the main reason that push me buying a NN.
Just hope (it's a living) that Syndicate or even Dungeon Keeper (I'm crazy) could run on NN :)

Syndicate will probably run. Anything that ran on an Amiga or Atari ST will run quite nicely on DOSBox.

Dungeon Keeper will definitely not run. Well it MIGHT RUN but it will be horribly slow.

I'll definitly give them a try (ev I'm pretty sure that Dungeon Keeper will not run good) But it's one my dream to have it on an Handled and as Bulfrog don't existe anymore...

slaanesh said:
Frotz (z machine text adventure emulator ) would also be nice.
So would Rogue. And Nethack. Mmm actually thinking of these two alone has just made that Nanonote purchase worth the while! :)

I'll probably port all of these.
Frotz and Nethack are already ported.
You think I'd have a NanoNote and not port frotz? :D

As for the colordepth, by default Ben can handle only 32bpp, but in the newest kernel/rootfs it also supports 16bpp (probably converts it to 32bpp on the fly).

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that leaves Rogue then.

Alright I've fixed the screens so that they are nicely centered now.

Last thing before I release the public test is the controls. Just need to make sure that mapping is working okay.

Got my Ben Nanonote today. Wow. It's tiny!
Mine came with a serial cable attached (as described in the eBay auction). Not that you need it, it has ethernet over USB which serves me better anyway.
Charging the battery as we speak.
Wow, It's tiny! Oh I already said that.
I said to my wife that I got her a new notebook and presented the Nanonote to her. She laughed.
So... about 10 minutes into playing with it... what can you do with it?

I'm pretty sure this little baby needs some DOSBox action! :)

(Maybe QI should have made it run Intel/DOS in the first place?)

(I did the same with my girlfirend and she's till laughing at me)

HiSlaanesh
firts of all you have to flash it with the lastest image. Here's the link to the Wiki
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Updating_Ben_NanoNote_software
After that you won't need my help :D
Can't wait (in fact I do very well) for NN Dos Box.

For now, not so much...
Some Dingux app and the Zear's ports.
After that, it will depend of the community (as usual) but for me, it will be (with the help of slaanes Dosbox port and ScummVM) a cool retro_PC.

I finally got my nanonote flashed and running. It took a while. I had to install linux on my pc first. Then I had trouble getting it into usb mode. Can't wait to run dosbox on it!

Ironically all my Linux boxes are handhelds. I only have Mac OS X and Windows XP. :p

This is going to be a pain to flash.

Maybe it's already flashed? It is, after all, second hand and has the serial port mod already installed.

How do you tell what version it is?

EDIT: I did a uname -a and it told me it's the kernel from 2010-03-20.

Also, is there an 60 or 80-column mode like on Dingux?

Maybe I should find some documentation. :)

Hi Slaanesh
It seems that somebody succed in flashing NN from OSX. MAybe it will help for you.

http://en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/2010-April/000292.html

Mortys said:
Hi Slaanesh
It seems that somebody succed in flashing NN from OSX. MAybe it will help for you.

http://en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/2010-April/000292.html
Most excellent! I shall try! Thanks for that.

BTW I'm adding support for Nanonote to DOSBox, so the public beta release will probably be delayed until the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
No prob, it's an "interrested" tips :D
I really want to have your hombrews on NN (even FBA & Mame for the Beath'em up and some shoot) and particulary Dosbox as we'll get a min-reto PC.
One question on Dosbox : what about the mouse control ? How do have managed to control it (assuming the cursor key are already bind) ?

PS : I've launch the first test version you send me and get segmentation fault after seeing the : Initiling A320 Video
Dosbox 0.73... message

Back