Dosbox Fun

Pickle said:
I think the PSP might be faster because of the MIPS dynamic core, I believe the MIPS have more registers than ARM, which can improve a dynamic core performance.

ARM is potentially better at recompiling x86 than MIPS is. It has the flags and address modes that MIPS doesn't, and it has sufficiently more registers than x86 so the extra registers MIPS has aren't a huge asset. I don't doubt that the PSP version performs better but if it does it is it'd be because it's recompiler is much better done.

If qemu has gotten as good as Laurent says then it might end up performing much better than DOSBox. DOSBox performs HLE for DOS calls, but I think that commercial games will rarely be using DOS calls in performance intensive situations. I am of course assuming that qemu includes emulation for enough standard DOS era PC components (VGA, sound blaster, harddrives, etc) to pull this off. If not then the DOSBox team or someone else might want to consider incorporating qemu into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Pickle said:
I think the PSP might be faster because of the MIPS dynamic core, I believe the MIPS have more registers than ARM, which can improve a dynamic core performance.

ARM is potentially better at recompiling x86 than MIPS is.
Well i will take your opinion over mine when it comes to dynamic recompiling :)

'Exophase' said:
If qemu has gotten as good as Laurent says then it might end up performing much better than DOSBox. DOSBox performs HLE for DOS calls, but I think that commercial games will rarely be using DOS calls in performance intensive situations. I am of course assuming that qemu includes emulation for enough standard DOS era PC components (VGA, sound blaster, harddrives, etc) to pull this off. If not then the DOSBox team or someone else might want to consider incorporating qemu into it.

No matter how good qemu has become, since it can emulate multiple processors on multiple targets, it will always be slower than a recompiler written by a talented programmer.

Laurent said:
No matter how good qemu has become, since it can emulate multiple processors on multiple targets, it will always be slower than a recompiler written by a talented programmer.

I'm not saying it represents the best performance possible, just that it sounds like it'll be a lot faster than what we have for DOSBox right now.

If you're taking requests, try Heroes of Might and Magic 2! It was slow as crap on PSP though, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

(naw)mcx posted on Apr 21 2009 at 09:00 PM said:
'SpacemanSpiff' said:
If you're taking requests, try Heroes of Might and Magic 2! It was slow as crap on PSP though, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I swear we're getting a port of that.
FHeroes2 have been ported already by Almighty Pickle :), Only OpenLiero left to port, and i can die, then :)

'truekaiser' said:
one must fall maybe?
I 2nd that! One of my favorite fighting games of all time.

When I think about DOS games I think about Fade to Black (sequel to Flashback), but it would look better and run faster on the PSX emulator. The controls where terrible and the camera could get annoying but I really liked the adventure part of it.

Awakening said:
'truekaiser' said:
one must fall maybe?
I 2nd that! One of my favorite fighting games of all time.

When I think about DOS games I think about Fade to Black (sequel to Flashback), but it would look better and run faster on the PSX emulator. The controls where terrible and the camera could get annoying but I really liked the adventure part of it.

Oh, my... I almost forgot about OMF:2097. *Crosses Fingers*

'jaycee900' said:
what about the original f1gp (microprose) on pc, not sure what it needed 386 etc?
If that's won't work on Dosbox, then you'll be able to play the Amiga version instead.
And Stunt Car Racer is FAR better on the Amiga than PC (hell even the Commodore 64 version is better).

'Bosbeetle' said:
Since people are requesting Id like to see prehistorik 2 :)
I've checked preh2 few weeks ago on my GP2X [ when i tested DosBox Blast! ] and somehow , it always freeze after crack intro [ "My game still works in 2009, enjoy oldies..." ] even on few different configs, so it might be a bug in this dosbox version.

Im curious will it run on panda's ver of dosbox...

If "Stunts" aka "4D Sports Driving" will fully work onto the Pandora Dosbox, I'm very happy. :) The ingame-Editor was a very cool feature for its time and I experimented alot with crazy track settings. I still have a Diskette full of custom Traks. \^_\^

I wonder, how good "Stunt Island" would run, if it runs. It was also a very unique game and a real insider tip. ;)

Hehe I just realise that I mis wordperfect5.1 if that would run it would be great. Shift+f7 alt-f3 those were the days :D

Back