Dosbox Fun

speaking of DosBox have someone tested elder scroll: arena? it seems quite great, was released freely by bethesda for its 10years, and seems it might be running on the pandora...

'Elwing' said:
speaking of DosBox have someone tested elder scroll: arena? it seems quite great, was released freely by bethesda for its 10years, and seems it might be running on the pandora...
IIRC at 3k cycles arena is barely playable, it really needs 5k. Daggerfall is of much more interest to me but needs 8k. It's a while since I tested them though, I may have got my numbers mixed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Klepto' said:
'Elwing' said:
IIRC at 3k cycles arena is barely playable, it really needs 5k. Daggerfall is of much more interest to me but needs 8k. It's a while since I tested them though, I may have got my numbers mixed up.
doh, have heard 3k not 5k... would still be a good test trough... since it is easily and freely downloadable now

I really have only two big wants for DosBox: the Leisure Suit Larry series, and ...

Quarantine / Quarantine 2: Road Warrior!

I just found out that there was a port of Quarantine for 3DO, but I'm not sure how it stacked up to the PC version. Quarantine for Playstation (Hard Rock Driving or soemthing, Japan only) supposedly ran too slow.

If you haven't played Quarantine, you're missing out on the predecessor to MANY great games. I love that game! I really wish someone would port that game to the ioQuake engine or some other modern open 3d engine.

I was wondering if you could test out Darksun: Shattered Lands to see how it runs. This was one of my childhood favorites and I still own it.

If testing is still going on, could you please do one for duke nukem 3d? Seems like it would be well suited to the pandora.

just to throw it in there, if you could test stargunner as i love that game ^_^

Transmition posted on May 28 2009 at 03:09 AM said:
If testing is still going on, could you please do one for duke nukem 3d? Seems like it would be well suited to the pandora.
Oh, that would give a good idea of how well Blood would run. In fact, please test Blood.

Oh, that would give a good idea of how well Blood would run. In fact, please test Blood.
You might want to check out zBlood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmP8N2jH_dI

I dont even have many of these games and I think most of them are too much.
I dont think games like duke3d or blood are going to run nicely. We are talking wolf3d level of performance. So think 386 and low 486.

Pickle posted on May 28 2009 at 02:11 PM said:
I dont think games like duke3d or blood are going to run nicely. We are talking wolf3d level of performance. So think 386 and low 486.
Yes, frankly I wouldn't expect miracles. I'm just curious. After all, it's not been that long since PCs were powerful enough to put in a decent DosBox Blood performance.

As far as Duke3D is concerned, there are OpenGL-based engines with source code that could likely be made to provide better results for Duke and Shadow Warrior, and additionally the source for both those games is available, thanks to the late great 3DRealms.

An OpenGL Blood engine still remains the "holy grail" of build games. No one seems to know who precisely owns the rights to this game, and no one seems to know where the Blood source code even is.

Eduke3d with high resolution package is on the port request wiki page. I really really hope someone picks the job up and makes it work :). I'd try myself when my pandora arrives, but I have absolutely zero ogl/ogles skills. I could always try to learn and make a half-assed port, but I don't think it would run well ;)

Pickle posted on May 28 2009 at 06:11 AM said:
Oh bummer, this is disappointing. I guess I was expecting much higher performance (486 level, maybe even <100 mhz Pentium) with all the hype the hardware has been getting (and especially since we heard that Warcraft II apparently was running well in DOSBOX), but I guess DOSBOX isn't very efficient (but as efficient as it'll be get?)? Is it 386, low 486 at current DOSBOX state, or is there enough optimization left for going higher?

WhiteBat - Great game stargunner. Very modern for DOSBOX though (I looked up requirements and it said 486, Pentium 90mhz recommended; no chance in hell, I think :( ).

I'm very happy that Commander Keen 4-6 run fullspeed with sound. That opens up the whole library of classic Apogee games from the era.

But I'm still holding out hope that early Win95 games would be possible with Qemu, as some have said...

It seems that Pandora Dosbox is not going to be what I'd hoped, which is a real shame because I was most interested in Amiga and Dos games running well. I am wondering though, is it absolutely set in stone that we will only ever realistically see 386 - low-end 486 games at playable speeds, or is it more of a software limitation that could be solved over time?

Arena was what, 1995 or 1995, and Daggerfall 1997 or so?

Warcraft 2 was ... 1995 or 1996, and works great.

But it depends on how it works.. heavy math oriented games I imagine are more problematic than pure 2d blitter games like Dune 2. So I wouldn'tbreak your heartt yet.. it 'depends'.

jeff

Back