Dosbox Fun

skeezix posted on May 29 2009 at 03:50 PM said:
Arena was what, 1995 or 1995, and Daggerfall 1997 or so?

Warcraft 2 was ... 1995 or 1996, and works great.

But it depends on how it works.. heavy math oriented games I imagine are more problematic than pure 2d blitter games like Dune 2. So I wouldn'tbreak your heartt yet.. it 'depends'.

jeff
I think your right.
Your version didnt have the dynamic core too dont forget. Im planning to do some more tests this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sugar_Kane posted on May 29 2009 at 12:13 PM said:
It seems that Pandora Dosbox is not going to be what I'd hoped, which is a real shame because I was most interested in Amiga and Dos games running well. I am wondering though, is it absolutely set in stone that we will only ever realistically see 386 - low-end 486 games at playable speeds, or is it more of a software limitation that could be solved over time?
Well there will be an Amiga emulator for the Pandora.

Hmm. I may have to dig out that old copy of the original "Earthsiege" and see how it goes. I haven't played that one since my old 80486SX. It's still lurking in my computer game CD collection though.

The other 2 I'd like to have on my Pandora will be "Nomad Project" (Space exploration/trading) and Wibarm (import Japanese sidescroller)

Anyone can get an idea is something will run. From initial tests it appears the pandora does between 2000-3000 cycles. Try your game ans see how many cycles it takes. If its more than 3000, expect it to be slow.

Anyone can get an idea is something will run. From initial tests it appears the pandora does between 2000-3000 cycles. Try your game ans see how many cycles it takes. If its more than 3000, expect it to be slow.
how can i kind-of test c&c and red alert myself then? where to see cycles with what application? (i have windows....not a beagleboard or something yet)

how can i kind-of test c&c and red alert myself then? where to see cycles with what application? (i have windows....not a beagleboard or something yet"]
[/quote]you, your PC, and dosbox (a cycle is a cycle)

how can i kind-of test c&c and red alert myself then? where to see cycles with what application? (i have windows....not a beagleboard or something yet"]
you, your PC, and dosbox (a cycle is a cycle)

a the standard dosbox emulator for windows...
but where do i see cycles...i really have no idea what cycles are...a kind of FPS?

you, your PC, and dosbox (a cycle is a cycle"][/quote]a the standard dosbox emulator for windows...
but where do i see cycles...i really have no idea what cycles are...a kind of FPS?[/quote]They are shown in the title bar (make sure your dosbox cycles is not set to max,auto but a set number). A cycles describe the number of times the dosbox will go through it emulation logic (I think per ms). It similar to clockspeed on a processor.

Cycles sort of say how many instructions to emulate a second, or sort of say how fast of a machine you're emulating. Neither are really true, but the main point is that if the game can run okay when you set it to 2000-3000 cycles then it has a decent (not perfect) chance of running at the same performance on Pandora.

press Ctrl-F12 to increase the number of cycles, press Ctrl-F11 to decrease them. Or it was the other way around, I forget. It displays the number in the title bar.
Start your program and hit Ctrl-F11/F12 until it is acceptable, and see how many cycles it takes. Try things like turning off the sound to get better performance. If it plays under 3000 cycles, that should be a reasonable indication of whether it will work or not

After reading this thread I just downloaded and installed the latest version of dosbox, and without even knowing how to use it or what cycles are, I can see that they are listed in the title bar of the window of dosbox. ;)

Just be aware the default setting is auto, so if you load up something heavy dosbox will change to max cycles possible on you machine.

By the way, Pickle, do you think the new Dosbox release (0.73) combined with the latest SDL achievements by Cpasjuste could boost perfomance in an interesting way? How is M-HT´s progress on dynamic recompiler?

Thanks for your efforts on this awesome project (Tons of classic DOS games in my pocket? Priceless! :) )

Raptor works pretty smoothly at 3000 cycles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRWjoxxp3c

Uh my DOSBOX doesn't show the NUMBER cycles in the top of the DOSBOX windows. Instead, it gives a percentage:

DOSBox 0.73, Cpu Cycles: [95%], Frameskip 0, Program: DOS4GW

F11 and F12 change the percentage (all the way to "max"). How do I get it to display the actual number?

Also, there is no DOSBOX.conf file for me to configure. I downloaded the installer from the official website, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT nevermind I found the conf file. It was in a completely different directory. D'oh!!!

Back