Dosbox Question

Pickle said:
I loaded up windows 3.11 last night on the pandora, boots pretty fast and gui interactions is pretty good. Touchscreen mouse control needs some work, but i can control via the nubs so it wasnt too bad. Fired up minesweeper.
Hey thanks for the video, looks nice. One question: It seems (from the shade of that blue used) that there's more than 16 colors available. What driver are you using in W3.11 for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
urjaman said:
Pickle said:
I loaded up windows 3.11 last night on the pandora, boots pretty fast and gui interactions is pretty good. Touchscreen mouse control needs some work, but i can control via the nubs so it wasnt too bad. Fired up minesweeper.
Hey thanks for the video, looks nice. One question: It seems (from the shade of that blue used) that there's more than 16 colors available. What driver are you using in W3.11 for this?

I copied my setup from the PC side which used a driver needed to run 1024x768, i dont remember the name. But its the only way to get the higher res and colours. I reset the resolution to 680x480x256. The other higher colour modes might be possible, didnt try them on the pandora

Perhaps you're referring to this: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators/DOSBox/3x_InstallGraphicsDrivers.html

You know what this means?
Portable KQ6. Portable Seventh Guest, Phantasmagoria, and Myst. Portable Ski Free!!!!

Alerino said:
snail slow probably
None of them really taxed the system at all. They're from the early 90s, and have 386 as their requirements. I'm pretty sure we'll be good.

WizardStan said:
You know what this means?
Portable KQ6. Portable Seventh Guest, Phantasmagoria, and Myst. Portable Ski Free!!!!

I think the only games in that list that require windows3.11 are myst and ski free the rest run in dos. Myst was ported to playstation and skifree was ported to gameboy color.

I'm hoping for playable speeds with Phantasmagoria and Kings Quest 6, so to be able to run them minus the 3.11 overlay would be nice. I used to love those games, having them portable will be tittys

I don't know about Phantasmagoria, but KQ6 Windows version was greatly enhanced over the DOS version.

Prometheus said:
Speaking of SkiFree, the guy who wrote it is apparently currently working on an iPhone version. Perhaps might be worth dropping him a line, maybe?

[/off-topic]

hehehehe love it "This is where baby monsters come from"
abom_fu.gif

Attachments

• abom_fu.gif
    abom_fu.gif
    449 bytes · Views: 139
Pickle said:
Thank you very much Pickle!
For those who don't know (well... most of people), you should run Calmira (www.calmira.net) on top of Win3.1/11. It provides Long FileNames (instead dos 8.3) and look'n'feel of 95/98/XP/whatever (e.g. start menu, win exploder etc). GNU/GPL.
links: www.calmira.de, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calmira, alternatives e.g. NMfW (Linux style, copyrighted freeware)

Calmira hackinfo:
Resource hack: Borland Resource Workshop (abandonware); Resourcer911 (free proprietary), PatchDrv-for changing style of min/max/close buttons (abandonware), MakeOver
Source code hack:
The source code is under GNU GPL license; however, today is difficult to find proper version etc. Source is in Delphi 1 (Object Pascal), 16-bit version.
"Delphi 1 was shipped with Delphi 2,3 and 4 because it could still be used to create 16 bit applications for Windows 3.1, but it was not shipped with Delphi 5".
Possible solutions: Object Pascal win16 compatible compilers - proprietary abandonware (BP7/Delphi/Kylix) or free/opensource (VP/FP+Lazarus)
Borland Pascal 7 [fr] [de] (abandonware? DOS+Win16, OK), Delphi 1.0 16-bit (abandonware? Win16, OK) Virtual Pascal [dl] [wiki] (free, Win32+Linux+OS/2, should works), Lazarus@FreePascal (FLOSS, Win32+Linux, 32-bit only?), Compiler911 (free proprietary, works, win32 only)

darkborn said:
Pickle said:
Thank you very much Pickle!
For those who don't know (well... most of people), you should run Calmira (www.calmira.net) on top of Win3.1/11. It provides Long FileNames (instead dos 8.3) and look'n'feel of 95/98/XP/whatever (e.g. start menu, win exploder etc). GNU/GPL.
links: www.calmira.de, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calmira, alternatives e.g. NMfW (Linux style, copyrighted freeware)

Calmira hackinfo:
Resource hack: Borland Resource Workshop (abandonware); Resourcer911 (free proprietary), PatchDrv-for changing style of min/max/close buttons (abandonware), MakeOver
Source code hack:
The source code is under GNU GPL license; however, today is difficult to find proper version etc. Source is in Delphi 1 (Object Pascal), 16-bit version.
"Delphi 1 was shipped with Delphi 2,3 and 4 because it could still be used to create 16 bit applications for Windows 3.1, but it was not shipped with Delphi 5".
Possible solutions: Object Pascal win16 compatible compilers - proprietary abandonware (BP7/Delphi/Kylix) or free/opensource (VP/FP+Lazarus)
Borland Pascal 7 [fr] [de] (abandonware? DOS+Win16, OK), Delphi 1.0 16-bit (abandonware? Win16, OK) Virtual Pascal [dl] [wiki] (free, Win32+Linux+OS/2, should works), Lazarus@FreePascal (FLOSS, Win32+Linux, 32-bit only?), Compiler911 (free proprietary, works, win32 only)
Yes but will calmira run on pandora? We are talking about running a mod in a os in a emulator.
And more people are talking about running a game in a os in a emulator...sounds hard to accomplish.

But i would also love it:D

Back