Download Pyra Debian OS (WIP)

Discussion in 'Pyra OS (Debian GNU/Linux)' started by EvilDragon, Dec 17, 2014.

1. ible

ible Advanced Guard Tower

Thrice in CA, twice in ND, once in the NL
    i'm curious if it's possible for the pyra to do a debian rolling release based on testing by setting the source lists to "testing" instead of "stretch". or are there some pyra-specific things that are specific to stretch?

if it is possible, is it recommended? i'm completely new to debian, though i've been using it implicitly for a while (via ubuntu). i'm considering installing it as a rolling release on an old laptop for testing purposes.

2. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

Technically, changing from strech to "testing" or even to "unstable/sid" is completly doable. You'll just need to pin down a few package that come from here (like fbturbo).

You might face issues with dbps though as they will be only tested on strech (even if, most of the time you'll be able to fix the problem with a symlink)

ible and shadow.8 like this.
  3. ible

neat, writing from my "rolling debian testing" laptop now. i just changed "buster" to "testing" everywhere in /etc/apt/sources.list, even though it says to remove the security lines at this site:
    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
    i.e., i kept lines like this in:
    Code:
    deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main contrib non-free

and these appear to be valid distributions at the http://security.debian.org/debian-security site. this site had them kept in:
    http://www.binarytides.com/enable-testing-repo-debian/
    that one also explains how to pin repositories, so i'll use that for the pyra specific stuff. thanks!

4. AxPU

AxPU Still Fresh

I'm not sure if you just misspoke but I'll add this for clarity:

Changing the sources.list from "buster" to "testing" has no effect this moment. Currently Debian testing is called "buster" and there is absolutely no difference between them. That will of course change when "buster" gets released as Debian "stable". From that moment on, "testing" will be pointing to Debian version 11 "bullseye" and so on.

What does this really mean?
    Leave "buster" in your sources.list and you will be using "testing" for now. After its release, you will still be using "buster" - but then it is Debian "stable".
    Put "testing" in your sources.list and you will be using "testing" for now. After "buster" is released as "stable" you will still be using "testing" but then it's the upcoming version 11 "bullsye"
    And so it goes on...

A word to the "rolling release" nature of Debian testing. It is more or less that as long as the Development has not been frozen. Quite a few months before a Debian release, "testing" gets frozen. That means that (almost) no new software will be included and only bugs will be hunted instead. In that case, it is no longer rolling and some packages might get a bit stale. That might or might not be a problem for you if you want to be on a rolling Linux Distro. I use Debian for almost everything and don't care too much about it. But for bleeding edge "rolling" there are other Linux Distributions like Arch that I would also recommend.

That information is of course not specific to the Pyra but for Debian generally. Maybe you knew that anyway and actually meant "stretch" instead of "buster". But anyway - I thought to include this explanation because not everyone here is a Linux crack - yet ;-)

5. ible

@AxPU that's indeed what i intended to do (create a Debian rolling release based on testing), although that laptop died for other reasons (probably need to replace the harddrive).

arch i tried once and got into a bad state, so i didn't care much for bleeding edge, though i do like the idea of a stable rolling release. maybe i should look into tumbleweed...

but it wasn't terrible to do a release upgrade on ubuntu 16.04, i got to 18.04 with no real issues... (though i think my screen backlight keys don't work anymore).

6. Wally

Wally I am a banana! Staff Member

rootfs link isn't working right now :(

7. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I get the following error from firefox: