Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a game for the Master System, Megadrive and Game Gear. Here I'll be reviewing the Game Gear version of the game.

The basic idea of the game is to play against the computer character to prevent falling beans from piling up on you're screen and to fill up the enemies screen with your excess beans. If you start a chain of beans disapearing then they'll be piled up on the opponents screen. Once the beans hit the top of you're column, you loose B). You can rotate them to try and slot them into the places you want to get the maximum chain reaction you can manage.

-Story- (3/10)
To be honest, the story is pretty lame. A little cut scene comes up when you boot the game explaining what's going on (with some really detailed graphics for the Game Gear I thought!). Robotnic has a plan to rid Mobius of music and fun forever :)o). His invention is designed to clear the jolly beans of Beanville and turn them into slaves to carry out his plans. Your Job is to stop him. But really... I don't really care about stories in puzzle games! They don't affect the game at all in general and this one is no exception. Just ignore the lame story!

-Graphics- (7/10)
For a puzzle game, the graphics are pretty cool. The beans make a satisfying little bounce when they land and everything is bright and colourful with detailed backgrounds. Also, the Game Gears screen can be perfectly scaled to fit the Gamepark. Looks great! Some in game shots (not scaled) are at the bottom of this review.

-Sound- (6/10)
I'd say the sounds aren't bad at all! Funky tunes, bleeps when you shift columns and little blops when the beans land. All simple and effective stuff B).

-Gameplay- (10/10)
Really great. This is one of my most played emulated games on the Gamepark. The scenario mode is the basic game. It starts to get's really fast paced in the later levels and should provide an excellent challenge!

The gear to gear mode is for multiplayer for the people linking Game Gears so not really much use here.

The exercise mode is great to perfect the skills and for a quick play.

The puzzle mode is great! And bloody tricky. I'm actually stuck on Lesson 11 right now. This is the mode I play the most but the main game is still great!

meanbean1.gif
meanbean2.gif
meanbean3.gif

Be sure to say if I need correcting or I've missed something out :rolleyes:.

Attachments

• meanbean1.gif
    meanbean1.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 210
  • meanbean2.gif
    meanbean2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 200
  • meanbean3.gif
    meanbean3.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 216
  • meanbean1.gif
    meanbean1.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 199
  • meanbean2.gif
    meanbean2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 194
  • meanbean3.gif
    meanbean3.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 206
Hear hear! Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is one of my favorite Genesis games!

It's also worth noting that this game shows up on other systems usually under the name "Puyo Puyo" or "Puyo Pop" (and supposedly "Kirby's Avalanche"). It's great whatever name it's made under, and you don't need to know Japanese to play it, so don't be afraid of the non-English versions you might come across.

You missed an implemetation. It was also included in the "Sonic Classics" cart for Genesis. I have it on that.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice that you had Megadrive listed.

If you want something to play on the bus or while waiting for said bus, then this is it!....well this or a quick blast of Outrun on the pcengine emu...

i love these kind of games, games that just dont need upgrading, the graphics do the job, the sound is solid enough and the controls dont restrict the players ability to get good at it...pure skill is needed here, thats it!

Back