Dragon's Lair - Space Ace - Etc

christo930

Has anyone ever considered porting these games over to the gp32? A programmer could write the software and describe a conversion from a specific version (like the sega cd version) of the data file, reencoding them in a different format to fit on the 128mb card. Just a thought?

Space Ace and Dragons Lair exist for the ST so should run under CaSTaway; theres also Amiga versions for potential UAE ports. (Naturally, these would be floppy based, so much more limited graphics than you would like :)

A new port would be better :)

Interesting challenge. Should be doable, but ugly. (ie: CD based versions of the games, such as on the Jaguar, weren't all that great to look at.. and that was a full 600MB CD)

jeff

christo930 posted on Dec 1 2005 at 02:29 PM said:
Has anyone ever considered porting these games over to the gp32? A programmer could write the software and describe a conversion from a specific version (like the sega cd version) of the data file, reencoding them in a different format to fit on the 128mb card. Just a thought?

IIRC the daphne emulator uses SDL so it's possible, but man the data files are huge. I have Space Ace and Dragon's Lair on my MAME cabinet and they take up some serious storage. There's always the C64 version. ;)

Haven't played the sega cd version, but I imagine there is a version for some 16 bit computer that could probably be played on the gp2x.

~telengard

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually MattO the guy who coded Daphne actually has been taking donations to buy a gp2x and he is almost there! A lot of people have shown interested and he is gonna try to port Daphne to the gp2x!

http://www.daphne-emu.com/

More info there!

Yeah, I'm throwing down and trying to get people to contribute (giving away some show DVDs). I really want to get them the hardware they need ... I'll lose my MIND to play Space Ace on a portable.

Would it be possible to reencode the files so it could fit on a smaller SD card? I remember them being *.m2v files which is mpeg2.

Yeah he was saying that you will be able to encode them so they dont take up as much room and will still look good cause its on a smaller screen. Just wont look that great if you tv out it.

The c-64 version of Dragons Lair II (not so much DL1) is actually a pretty fun (and hard_ game with actual gameplay challenges and not just twitches at scene junctures like the empty (but oh so beautiful) arcade games.

PS I'd LOVE to see this ported, it would blow minds all over again.

Back