DraStic Nintendo DS emulator teaser video

I meant that (perhaps) the logic was running at a little over half speed (doing the logic for 36 frames each second), and only every 9th frame is actually displayed.

This would result in 4fps and everything taking twice as long as it should.

Just a random guess, though.

For those curious, this is how that video breaks down..

It takes about 20 seconds to play what should be about the first 12 seconds of music, or 60% speed, making the 36fps (0.6 * 60) accurate for logical timing. Then of course during that emulation only a small percentage of frames are being rendered. It's hard to tell exactly from a video playing on youtube but it looks to about 4-6FPS, which would be rendering about 7-10 out of 60 frames emulated. I'd call that a frameskip of about 6 or 7, where a frameskip of f means you skip every f / (f + 1) frames. If it's set to auto frameskip it's probably hitting a maximum threshold which makes it like a fixed skip value, otherwise it wouldn't be rendering any frames at all.

For what it's worth, with this massive level of frameskip I expect NSMB would run at real time speed in DraStic (current version with poorly optimized 3D) even on a 600MHz Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tested it personally, but there are at least some comparisons you could make from youtube videos. For instance this one:
"36 frames per second"
What's wrong with frame counters these days, that's 4-5 fps at most in that video.
Almost my exact thoughts, only I pointed the finger more at the player than the frame counter, as in how on earth can he think he is playing a game at 30 FPS, I know people claim to not know the difference between 30 and 60 (which I have never actually found to be true upon testing), it has got past a joke now.

I guess there is some psychology in there somewhere, add 10 to 20 FPS to any FPS counter, and a number of end users will probably be happier, as they'll feel they are playing at a higher frame rate, and if they believe they are, it is almost as good as true.

More likely the former than the latter.

Looking at the GAF list is just overwhelming. I haven't tested the vast majority of those games! I'd like some people to help me get a better feeel for things.
Having a DS and a 3DS, I have quite a few of those games and will be happy to test them for you if you think it can help you.

Amazing work. Chrono Trigger DS runs at acceptable speeds.

For the presently shown performance I'd still choose the SNES version, even though that version has slightly mediocre audio when compared to the DS version and lacks the beautiful cutscenes.

Any project that will diversify the use of the OpenPandora is more than welcome, especially since the DS (Lite) is my favourite handheld.

Most games/ programs I own on the DS make heavy of the 3D engine, so I'll hold on to my DS Lite for now ;)

"runs at acceptable speed"...this means that you already tried the emu?how??

I wonder if DSi (!) games are supported? That's basically my biggest interest since I only own a NDS, not a DSi :)

I wonder if DSi (!) games are supported? That's basically my biggest interest since I only own a NDS, not a DSi :)
This could only be a problem if they would use some DS - model specific hardware features. As the Pandora lacks these features anyway (except for the microphone) is see no "problem"

This could only be a problem if they would use some DS - model specific hardware features. As the Pandora lacks these features anyway (except for the microphone) is see no "problem"
Some DSi-games require more memory than both the DS and DS-Lite models, even with the addition of a 3in1/ memory cartridge in the GBA slot.The largest Memory Expansion I have seen for that slot is 8MB. Combined with the 4MB onboard memory of the DS/DSLite that still can't top the 16MB that the DSi has.

On top of that, the Dsi has a camera on both the inside as the outside of the unit. So for games that need both, you'll need two camera modules connected to your Panda.

The biggest challenge will probably be to get the camera modules to go as low as 0,3 MegaPixels...

Yes, I'd love to see DSi-titles become playable as well. I own a DSLite, which puts me in the same spot as JePP.

Some DSi-games require more memory than both the DS and DS-Lite models, even with the addition of a 3in1/ memory cartridge in the GBA slot.

The largest Memory Expansion I have seen for that slot is 8MB. Combined with the 4MBonboard memory of the DS/DSLite that still can't top the 16MB that the DSi has.

On top of that, the Dsi has a camera on both the inside as the outside of the unit. So for games that need both, you'll need two camera modules connected to your Panda.

The biggest challenge will probably be to get the camera modules to go as low as 0,3 MegaPixels...

Yes, I'd love to see DSi-titles become playable as well. I own a DSLite, which puts me in the same spot as JePP.
Thanks for the insights. Memory won't be a problem here, so that leaves only the camera - is it really feasible to connect two cameras to the Pandora ?

(...)

Thanks for the insights. Memory won't be a problem here, so that leaves only the camera - is it really feasible to connect two cameras to the Pandora ?
Good point...probably not when using plain USB webcams. While there are technically two USB ports on the Pandora, only one of them can deliver the power to drive a retail type webcam. The other one would have to have it's own power supply with batteries or even a mains adaptor. That setup would become way to impractical for actual use I'm afraid.

Well, judging from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DSi_games , it seems supporting those few (not spectacular) games is not really worth the effort. 

I thought for a minute that Pokemon Black & White (2) and Golden Sun DS were DSi-only games, but I think that actually does not seem to be the case. I remember for some reason these wouldn't work on my super-old Supercard SD flashcart for my NDS, so if these one day work on the Pandora instead I'll be happy as can be.

Actually the DSiWare games are generally much more interesting than the regular DSi-only (or "DSi enhanced") versions.

DSiWare has a lot of variety. ported games (some of which were originally meant for the GBA), but also some (obscure) indie titles.

Another Wiki page shows a lot more titles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DSiWare_games

DSi games aren't supported. I'm not aware of any emulator supporting DSi. The extra memory probably wouldn't be a problem, but it also has a faster ARM9 (133MHz vs 67MHz) and other stuff. I'd need some amount of hardware documentation, and has anyone actually dumped DSiWare games?

What are DSi only games?

Can't I play any cartrige of a game I buy in a shop on my old DS?

I never saw on a DS game I bought: This is only for DSi

Is this only DSi ware games you're talking about?

Edit:

Ok, followed the Wikipedia link.

It's 5 games I never heared about.

They don't seem to be a must have.

Back