Dreamcast Emulation

I

i_am_a_noob

I've been looking into buying a Dreamcast and I was just wondering, does anybody emulate other systems with this console? DCemu says there DreamSNES is the best emu, but is it any good? Another thing, is there any risk to emulating other systems with your Dreamcast?

i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 2 2006 at 11:02 PM said:
I've been looking into buying a Dreamcast and I was just wondering, does anybody emulate other systems with this console? DCemu says there DreamSNES is the best emu, but is it any good? Another thing, is there any risk to emulating other systems with your Dreamcast?

I currently use my Dreamcast to emulate Atari 2600, colecovision, sega mastersystem,nes,snes,gameboy and gameboy color. The disks can be tricky to get burned in the correct format and some have you run an emu disk and then swap a rom disk to play. DreamSNES seems the most intensive requiring fs-2 to play smoothly but most games are playable with sound. Genesis emulation is smooth but w/o sound. I had no luck getting pcengine games to run with either of the 2 top rated emulators. Most of the emulators were unfinished however as coders left for other platforms. Many excellent coders for the dreamcast have found their way to the gp2x scene :) There is still a strong homebrew scene in europe and the UK for this system.

I have experienced 0 problems using the dreamcast for emulation though.

For tutorials check out DCEmu.c.uk.com and Dcemulation.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Morpheus384 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 06:01 AM said:
i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 2 2006 at 11:02 PM said:

I currently use my Dreamcast to emulate Atari 2600, colecovision, sega mastersystem,nes,snes,gameboy and gameboy color. The disks can be tricky to get burned in the correct format and some have you run an emu disk and then swap a rom disk to play. DreamSNES seems the most intensive requiring fs-2 to play smoothly but most games are playable with sound. Genesis emulation is smooth but w/o sound. I had no luck getting pcengine games to run with either of the 2 top rated emulators. Most of the emulators were unfinished however as coders left for other platforms. Many excellent coders for the dreamcast have found their way to the gp2x scene :) There is still a strong homebrew scene in europe and the UK for this system.

I have experienced 0 problems using the dreamcast for emulation though.

For tutorials check out DCEmu.c.uk.com and Dcemulation.com

Most excellent DC coders are chui ;)

I have been spending a good... four days burning an Atari 2600, an NES, a Genesis, Mame, and Neo Geo. I have been most pleased with the NES emulator so far, as it is fullspeed w/sound. Everything else is.. lacking. in one way or another. It seems like the Dreamcast build of MAME is more like a straight port, which makes things awkward, like changing button maps, etc. DreamSNES is a little on the slow side, especially during 2-player games, with or without sound. The NeoGeo emulator isn't up to speed either, but it thankfully has an overclock option which softens the blow. The Genesis emulator I'm using doesn't sample all of the sound in the roms, so it sounds a bit off, but is very playable.

Of course, these might be outdated emulators, or the slower of two or three.

Jarska333 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 06:38 PM said:
Oo, question? Is there a Dreamcast emulator for PC? DC on PC, you see? :lol:
Chankast

Back