Dreamcast Emulator Thread

benjsh

Still Fresh
Hi
Can we have all Dreamcast emulator related info here.
Like the latest version of the emulator status etc..

Perhaps like the N64 emulator thread in the Developer's Corner it will get bogged down in pointless questions and not in development. So maybe it is good to have a sister thread here.

Lets leave this open and see if Zezu or DrkIIRaziel have a status update for us.

Searched through the previous threads in the general section and all have been closed, so feel free to speculate :rolleyes:

Speculation... somehow they managed to make it run all games full speed with enhanced graphics... curently they're discussing this latest development with craigx and ED and are willing to sell the emulator to be used for some serious marketing ploy. The only problem is Sega will send the Blue Blur after someone... We need a scapegoat...

update on this would be great, will I be able to play Ikaruga / Shenmue / Crazy Taxi on a handheld?!

Shenmue I do want to play... have heard great things, have seen great things, but sadly have not touched the thing...

I'm in the fortunate position of owning a massive collection of Dreamcast games -- it was my favourite console, possibly the best mix of games of a console in my lifetime (I'm 20) perhaps bar the Playstation 1. So legal emulation is good for me, British law allows for 'format shifting' doesn't it? I think there needs to be a general bolstering of consumer protection law in light of a digital economy, instead of all this pillorying of people who download an mp3; sorry to get off track like that.

Would love to see some progress on the emulator, it looked reasonably fast for a first run on the video although the texturing on the Shenmue part of the video was pretty comical.

Edit: With both the N64 and Dreamcast emulators I think its important to temper expectations, especially as to specific games being playable - they're both quite early builds.

I actually think of it the opposite... They're such early builds and yet see what they can already do!

HackModford said:
I actually think of it the opposite... They're such early builds and yet see what they can already do!

I do agree in part, it's amazing visually what can be seen already. However getting it all up to a playable speed and accurate rendering etc. is a different matter, getting compatibility with most if not all games, again a different matter. Hopefully it'll all happen and indeed accelerate after the launch of the Pandora. I believe there's a lot of talented people in this community, as evidenced by all the creativity and dedication already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking from personal experience, getting it to a point where it kinda sort of looks like it might be doing something is "easy". A shockingly large amount of work is required to go from that kinda-looks-working to finish it off. The more it looks finished, the more work it takes to get just a little closer to being finished. Don't look at what they have done and assume they're almost finished. There's probably been a lot of effort expended on things you can't see, and a lot more yet to be done.
Like trying to travel at the speed of light: if it takes N energy to get to 50%, it will take another N to get to 75%, and then another N to get to 87.5, and so on and so forth; the same amount of energy is required to get progressively smaller gains. And so can it be with emulator projects.

WizardStan said:
Speaking from personal experience, getting it to a point where it kinda sort of looks like it might be doing something is "easy". A shockingly large amount of work is required to go from that kinda-looks-working to finish it off. The more it looks finished, the more work it takes to get just a little closer to being finished. Don't look at what they have done and assume they're almost finished. There's probably been a lot of effort expended on things you can't see, and a lot more yet to be done.
Like trying to travel at the speed of light: if it takes N energy to get to 50%, it will take another N to get to 75%, and then another N to get to 87.5, and so on and so forth; the same amount of energy is required to get progressively smaller gains. And so can it be with emulator projects.

Thank god we'll get there because calculus.

Paradox said:
update on this would be great, will I be able to play Ikaruga / Shenmue / Crazy Taxi on a handheld?!

There's already a video of Pandora Dreamcast emulator running Crazy Taxi (albeit fairly slowly for now) around somewhere.

I feel it's worth mentioning once again that NO of the games that were created using the WinCE libraries (Sega Rally is the only one I know of, thought I believe there are a lot more) will ever work with this emulator. So the first thing to do to know if one of of your favourite games will work is check this list. If it's on the list you're already out of luck

Pleng said:
There's already a video of Pandora Dreamcast emulator running Crazy Taxi (albeit fairly slowly for now) around somewhere.

I feel it's worth mentioning once again that NO of the games that were created using the WinCE libraries (Sega Rally is the only one I know of, thought I believe there are a lot more) will ever work with this emulator. So the first thing to do to know if one of of your favourite games will work is check this list. If it's on the list you're already out of luck

Dang... Looks like my only hopes of playing Half-Life on the Pandora have just been dashed. :(

Edit: on the bright side, Toy Commander, Ikaruga, Soul Calibur, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Incoming, and Hydro Thunder are all absent from the list. :D

wermy said:
Dang... Looks like my only hopes of playing Half-Life on the Pandora have just been dashed. :(
+1 =[

wermy said:
Edit: on the bright side, Toy Commander, Ikaruga, Soul Calibur, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Incoming, and Hydro Thunder are all absent from the list. :D
you forgot Rez - the best game ever made, plus the sonic adventures.

i'm pretty bummed about half-life tho; having that in your pocket would be the holy grail.

can we get the beta for the Pandora and download it?

I already ordered my Pendora so I get it here in December and ready to beta test the emulator.

benjsh said:

I already ordered my Pendora so I get it here in December and ready to beta test the emulator.

you probably wouldnt even know what to do with it when you had it.
i doubt that there is a gui for it yet, you probably have to run it via your pc or by running some command on the pandora.

just be patient, and wait like everyone else.

benjsh said:
What would you do with it? You may have ordered the Pandora, but you don't have it. It could be weeks (or even a month or more) before it's actually in your hands. By that time, the beta could have changed drastically. Just be patient. Something will be available eventually, I'm sure.

I don't think the NullDC guys are following this forum, they probably have much better things to do. They will show what they have done when they think time has come.

As a side-note: After thinking my dreamcast is broken for nearly half a year, a combination of vacuum cleaner and a cd-lens-cleaner-cd fixed it yesterday, hooray! It's just such an impressive game-system. I mean, compare SoulCalibur for Dreamcast with SoulCaliburIV on Playstation3 and you see how powerful the Dreamcast already was, just amazing.

Back