Dreamcast Emulator Thread

dflemstr said:
This is true more often than not, but that doesn't mean that everything you say will be automatically appreciated. I agree with you that it's necessary to debunk myths about emulation ASAP but it can be done without offending people.

(Remember that people from different cultures visit these forums, from cultures in which sarcasm/irony etc is frowned upon and isn't a source of laughter. I personally think it's OK to some extent but others might not.)

Okay.

So should I take your post to mean you found mine offensive? If so, can you explain how? I didn't think it was very bad. I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

I don't think Paradox took issue with me because he thought I was being rude, but because he doesn't like people poking holes in his dreams. He's snapped at me before for making posts that were not the least bit sarcastic or joking, merely telling people that there might not be as much to go on as they think. One time he got upset because he thought I was saying DS emulation was impossible, when in fact my post was pretty positive.

And I never said that my posts were universally appreciated, just more so than his are. Yet he's the one telling me that no one wants to hear what I have to say. Who do you really think was the one being out of line here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
So should I take your post to mean you found mine offensive?
Not me, no.
Exophase said:
I don't think Paradox took issue with me because he thought I was being rude, but because he doesn't like people poking holes in his dreams. He's snapped at me before for making posts that were not the least bit sarcastic or joking, merely telling people that there might not be as much to go on as they think. One time he got upset because he thought I was saying DS emulation was impossible, when in fact my post was pretty positive.
I can't read peoples minds any more than you can. No reason to speculate nor to interpret someones actions.
Exophase said:
And I never said that my posts were universally appreciated, just more so than his are.
Dito.
Exophase said:
Yet he's the one telling me that no one wants to hear what I have to say.
I don't claim that that was the "right" action to take.
Exophase said:
Who do you really think was the one being out of line here?
Strictly speaking, both. It depends on the definition of the "line" though.

dflemstr said:

You don't think I was being offensive, but you thought my post was out of line? Explain. I think you're being pretty vague.

Paradox said:
not nearly usable? have you seen the videos?

You mean the video from 2 months ago? Yes, it was very impressive, but I wouldn't want to play those games at that speed, it would totally ruin the experience. I'm not saying those guys are not capable of making it happen, I just say it would take some serious effort to make it complete and fun. Nobody knows if and how hard they are still working on NullDC for ARM.

Exophase said:
dflemstr said:
You don't think I was being offensive, but you thought my post was out of line? Explain. I think you're being pretty vague.
As I said in my previous post, I wasn't personally offended by your post, but since it is obvious that it affected someone else, since I know of the (good & bad) reputation you have in this forum as a result of your posting and since I know from experience that people don't value posts like the one you posted in some cultures, regions and languages, I can imagine that others might find it to be offensive and thus out of line.

I can't be any more non-vague and concrete than that, and I feel that I'm pretty much reiterating now what I've already mentioned above.

dflemstr said:
Exophase said:
dflemstr said:
As I said in my previous post, I wasn't personally offended by your post, but since it is obvious that it affected someone else, since I know of the (good & bad) reputation you have in this forum as a result of your posting and since I know from experience that people don't value posts like the one you posted in some cultures, regions and languages, I can imagine that others might find it to be offensive and thus out of line.

I can't be any more non-vague and concrete than that, and I feel that I'm pretty much reiterating now what I've already mentioned above.
could you please just stop?

Paradox was obviously impolite and Exophase gave him a little side-kick, I don't think there's any culture that doesn't tollerate this behaviour.

So yeah, that Dreamcast emulator sure looks pretty sweet huh!! I would love to have it on my panda even if it doesn't play my favourite game at full speed.. looks great and would sure be awesome if they got even 1 game running at, or near full speed!

Is there a reason other than it's MS Copyright that we cant use CE based games?? cant we just extract the CE stuff off the Dreamcast like were all SUPPOSED to do with our Amiga kick roms and run them with an emulator.

mvickers03 said:
Is there a reason other than it's MS Copyright that we cant use CE based games??
That's a good enough reason IMO.
I mean, BIOS dumps are actually legal in some countries. Breaking the MS EULA (or whatever it was called back then) isn't.

I dunno if CE could be HLE'd but it would require as much effort as creating something like Wine, so that's improbable.

mvickers03 said:
So yeah, that Dreamcast emulator sure looks pretty sweet huh!! I would love to have it on my panda even if it doesn't play my favourite game at full speed.. looks great and would sure be awesome if they got even 1 game running at, or near full speed!

Is there a reason other than it's MS Copyright that we cant use CE based games?? cant we just extract the CE stuff off the Dreamcast like were all SUPPOSED to do with our Amiga kick roms and run them with an emulator.

As far as I'm aware it's nothing to do with MS Copyright. I belive WinCE games are the only Dreamcast games which use the Dreamcast's MMU. NullDC Pandora will no emulate the MMU as overheads would be too high as to be useful. I could be wrong but the details are probably here if you want to check for yourself

dflemstr said:
That's a good enough reason IMO.
I mean, BIOS dumps are actually legal in some countries. Breaking the MS EULA (or whatever it was called back then) isn't.

I dunno if CE could be HLE'd but it would require as much effort as creating something like Wine, so that's improbable.

WinCE is statically linked in on the GD-ROM, it's no different from playing any other game. Pleng's reason (requiring MMU emulation) is correct. It'll also apply to any games that use the MMU for reasons other than WinCE.

Back