Dreamcast users? What to look for buying a 2nd hand unit?

Dead or Alive on Dreamcast was fun, and the Dreamcast Version of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 is also very nice, has more gamemodes than the arcade version. And if you need some frustrating vertical shoter game, play Ikaruga. :D

Soul Calibur was good too.. I like it just as much as Dead or Alive if you like fighting games.

Never had to with a pal dc in the us before, I have a ps2 and a multimega as well running fine without any step ups.

Most machines have a power supply of 110v~240v, and work without problems almost anywhere in the world.

The PS Vita is one of the only consoles that comes to mind that has a variable 100 - 240V power supply. For most of the older consoles that run 9V (SNES, NES, N64, Gamecube, Megadrive, PC Engine, Atari Jaguar etc), you will need to buy a new 9V power supply if you are using the console in a different region. My N64, Gamecube, SNES and others are all from 100 - 110V regions. When I imported them to Australia I needed to buy new 9v supplies that could handle a 240V input. The standard supplies only accept the one input voltage.

For systems like the 3DO, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 1 etc that take AC directly from the wall and into their own internal power supplies, you need a step down (or up) transformer. Japanese systems are 100V only, US seem to be marked with either 110V or 120V and generally PAL systems are 220V - 240V. I run my Japanese systems with internal power supplies through a 240 - 100V step down.

I had a quick look at the AC input on my Australian PS2. It just says AC in with no voltage shown, so perhaps it is variable? I'd have to check the manual. My PS3 and Wii and too hard to get to at the moment...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll double check when I'm out there, I've taken megadrives and a ps1 out there before and just using the us plug (as opposed to the 3 pin uk plug) was fine, will double check before I do though.

Your Megadrive should be fine. It runs on 9V (or there abouts). The standard UK power supply will only accept a 240V input, but when you get to the US, you just need to find any 9 - 10V power supply with enough current and matching polarity (9V DC 850mA with a centre positive tip for a Megadrive 2).

Both of my Playstation 1 consoles look like this. Unless one of the hardware revisions had a different internal power supply that can take a wider range of voltage inputs, you'll need a step up transformer.

e90f93d6.jpg

Yeah, I'd be happy to know others favorites with the Dreamcast games.

I know I like Super Puzzle Fighter II and Chu Chu Rocket.

cannon spike,virtua tennis,metropolis street racer,shenmue and shenmue 2,powerstone and powerstone 2,zero gunner 2(jap) import,le mans 24 hour, all superb.Sturmwind and gunlord are new games coming out soon too.Dreamcast has a pletheora of great games link

House Of The Dead 2 (with gun: I don't think this will work on new LCD tvs though :( ), Get Bass! is also excellent, as are - Jet Grind Radio, Resident Evil: Code Veronica is great if you're a Resi fan, Tony Hawks Pro-Skater 2, Skies Of Arcadia (RPG).

Sonic adventure :) Jet Set Radio, crazy taxi, house of the dead 2, shenmue, Resi code Veronica, metropolis street racer..... So many awesome games!

I will double check my dc then and megadrive just to be sure then, I may have misread the stickers.

some favorites:

Typing of the Dead (requires Dreamcast keyboard or keyboard PS/2 plug adapter)

Jet Set Radio

Power Stone 2

Shenmue

Crazy Taxi and Dynamite Cop! are fun for a while, but get old quick

Virtua On (if you can find the dual-stick controller)

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (also available on Xbox and PS2)

Ikaruga (Japanese import, also available for GC)

Rez (Japanese import, also available for PS2)

ChuChu Rocket (good as a party game only if you can get three other people to play against, but the solo puzzle mode is certainly worth it if you find this disc for cheap)

note that running homebrew/copied games off CD-Rs WILL reduce the lifespan of the GD-ROM laser.

While I normally do not play any Beat'em'ups, Soul Calibur is awesome! The story mode kicks ass.

Sega Rally 2, classic

Shen Mue 1 and 2

Metropolis Street Racer

Headhunter

Resident Evil Code: Veronica

Soul Reaver, in case you missed it on PSX

Zero Gunner 2 is a pretty fun, top-down shooter that lets you rotate your helicopter

Typing of the Dead, as mentioned above

House of the Dead 2

Also http://www.mobygames.com/game/dreamcast/zombie-revenge which had that funny tamagotchi-like VMU feature

Back