Drmd

hey maybe this is not my place to say but I will anyways.... :p

please try not to get too carried away with the requests this time guys, for Reesy's sake and all of ours. If anyone asks for a turbofire option I swear I'll run out to the supermarket, buy the largest freshest trout I can, and mail it to the requester express mail, complete with a robotic arm to reach out and slap you with the trout upon arrival!

Reesy: Whoa thats an exciting gossip, I do wish it turns out to be true! :D
Even if the guy does not want you to use his code and also does not publish anything for the GP32, he may at least let you check the sources so that you could fix the Cyclone core.

Reesy posted on Feb 21 2005 at 02:51 PM said:
CeNTauR2 posted on Feb 21 2005 at 01:22 PM said:
Just sent you some bucks to drsms_reesy "at" yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks Reesy, great work! :D

Thanks man, check your email.

@onionfrog: Yes your coming off as an ass, so you can just wait for a beta a little longer. Nobody likes a nagging bitch.

He's the one coming off as an ass? Can you see the difference between your two replies there? I think it's bullshit the way you're basically charging people for your betas. I never saw everyone firing money over to Rlyeh when he was working his ass off and you and I both know most people are donating to you to get the beta rather than as appreciation of your work.

You're a great developer and it's obvious that you're working hard but I think you're going about this the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Davey g thanks for supporting me..

Reesy, It would've been nice if you could have at least sent me a quick PM saying that you'd get around to it in the next few days.
I thought you were just ignoring me completely...
Sorry I'll STFU now..

Well thats your opinion and your entitled to it. Nobody else is complaining, everybody that deserves a beta is getting a beta.

Why don't you donate me some cash and I'll hook you up ;). Otherwise you'll have to wait for the next public release...have fun :)

davey g posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
You're a great developer and it's obvious that you're working hard but I think you're going about this the wrong way.
Don't be ridiculous - and besides the main releases are free - you have not meant to be paying for the betas but donating money in thanks - if you send money just to get Betas you are getting the wrong message.
How many developers do you know who have given their Betas away to everyone for free.

onionfrog posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:10 PM said:
Davey g thanks for supporting me..

Reesy, It would've been nice if you could have at least sent me a quick PM saying that you'd get around to it in the next few days.

*cowers*

Well to be honest I couldn't be bothered at the time. If you had a bit of patience you would have got your beta in the end. But no you had to winge in the forum.

Man i need to act more like i do in real life on the internet...
Talking leads to making enemies...
I'm gonna STFU now, sorry for angering you so much reesy..
I didnt mean to... :(

EDIT: I hope you'll be able to forgive me eventually. I'm sorry for being an idiot..
Beta 6 is amazing in comparison to the public release!!
Having the DAC sound effects is Amazing!!
Thank you!!

davey g posted on Feb 21 2005 at 05:13 PM said:
Reesy posted on Feb 21 2005 at 02:51 PM said:
CeNTauR2 posted on Feb 21 2005 at 01:22 PM said:
Just sent you some bucks to drsms_reesy "at" yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks Reesy, great work! :D

Thanks man, check your email.

@onionfrog: Yes your coming off as an ass, so you can just wait for a beta a little longer. Nobody likes a nagging bitch.

He's the one coming off as an ass? Can you see the difference between your two replies there? I think it's bullshit the way you're basically charging people for your betas. I never saw everyone firing money over to Rlyeh when he was working his ass off and you and I both know most people are donating to you to get the beta rather than as appreciation of your work.

It doesn't bother me. I am happy to give something back. I can't code one line so I can't contribute in that way. If I can support the coders that make something that I use alot and like then ok.

And I know that there are some of us that DO contribute because they appreciate the work. I donated in the beginning and I didn't even know about a beta tester list, so I can speak for myself at least.

Hanz™ posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
davey g posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:13 PM said:
Don't be ridiculous - and besides the main releases are free - you have not meant to be paying for the betas but donating money in thanks - if you send money just to get Betas you are getting the wrong message.
How many developers do you know who have given their Betas away to everyone for free.

Uhh ... how about Rlyeh's mailing list he had set up a while back?. The whole "donating money in thanks" idea is a great idea but it doesn't work that way. If it did I sure as hell wouldn't be complaining because ALL the developers would be receiving these donations.

everybody that deserves a beta is getting a beta

Don't be ridiculous.

And I know that there are some of us that DO contribute because they appreciate the work. I donated in the beginning and I didn't even know about a beta tester list, so I can speak for myself at least.

That's true, I know there are and there are people that donated to other developers aswell but it's plainly obvious that the whole "donate for a beta" idea isn't aimed at them.

onionfrog posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
Man i need to act more like i do in real life on the internet...
Talking leads to making enemies...
I'm gonna STFU now, sorry for angering you so much reesy..
I didnt mean to... :(

This stuff is supposed to be FUN and it is. I think we all need to chill out sometimes too. Waiting is hard and people get anxious. But remember the longer you wait, the better it will get :) If you knew a bit of the history with his emus you would know why Reesy does it this way, and you would probably agree with it. I don't blame you for not knowing though, if you haven't been following this for awhile when it began as a post on the GBA forums, you would have no idea. Cheers.

davey g posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:29 PM said:
That's true at I know there are and there are people that donated to other developers aswell but it's plainly obvious that the whole "donate for a beta" idea isn't aimed at them.

The whole thing stemed from awile back where people would just take from the developer and then whine bitch and moan about it not working perfect with their favorite game etc. All they would give to the community was bitching. They had a hard time understanding the word "BETA" and would complain about the free emulator that they downloaded. So basically they ruined it for everyone else, it is a bummer but those are the breaks.

davey g posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:29 PM said:
everybody that deserves a beta is getting a beta

Don't be ridiculous.

Okay I'll rephrase...Everybody that "I" want to have a Beta, has a Beta. :)

davey g posted on Feb 21 2005 at 05:13 PM said:
.... I think it's bullshit the way you're basically charging people for your betas. I never saw everyone firing money over to Rlyeh when he was working his ass off and you and I both know most people are donating to you to get the beta rather than as appreciation of your work.

Remember too there are some emulators for PPC and PC that are NEVER free and you have to pay for ANY release. So compared to those this is a bargain, be happy for what we get :) .

Reesy posted on Feb 21 2005 at 07:06 AM said:
Apparently there is another ASM M68K core, Somebody ( I won't mention any names in case nothing comes of this )  has emailed me asking for some help on how to port code from Pocket PC to the GP32.  He says his M68K core is in good shape and is able to run all Genesis games correctly. 

I've this bloke's websites and he's done loads of cool stuff for the pocketpc so he definitely not just pulling my leg.  Hopefully he'll stick with it and release something for the GP32.

The problem is I'm not sure if the core is free to use or not, by looking at his websites you can definitely get a license for it but it doesn't mention non-commercial projects. Hopefully its free for non-commercial use, how great would that be.  If it is then whooo hoooo, Sensible soccer here we come baby! :)

Well even if its not free, maybe at some point his company will release a genesis emulator for the GP32 and will get our Genesis fix that way.  We shall see, just thought I'd have a bit of a gossip about it as its very exciting...well to me anyway ;)

Any idea of how fast this other core is and how it compares to cyclone? Maybe if anything else the two cores could be compared to get the bugs out of cyclone (if cyclone is still faster). It is interesting to me too because a bug free core would rock. Imagine CaSTaway with cyclone, it would SCREAM. It is pretty fast now with a "C" core.

Your ASM Z80 core is great too, I would like to see it used in more emus like ColecoVision, GB, GBC, MAME, etc. Have you had alot of requests from other coders to use it?

*Drools at the possibilities*

DaveC posted on Feb 21 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
Remember too there are some emulators for PPC and PC that are NEVER free and you have to pay for ANY release. So compared to those this is a bargain, be happy.

Oh I know that and I really don't like it. This is the closest the GP32 scene has to it and I don't like it either ... hence my complaining.

But hey lets stop this arguing man, I'm glad I have the homebrew games and emulators that I have. I just think it's unfair to the other people working their ass off on software and not seeing any dough.

Someone is trying to make a bit of money from their excellent hard work? Its a scandal. Call the fashion police.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

i guess the whole "alternative" idea of GP32 is a little strange to those of us used to, particularly, console games.. you shell out @ 200 bucks and then on top of that, in a situation like this, you have to shell out a little more to be one of the "privileged few" to get to play the games you want. And maybe it's a little in your face cause it's in a public forum like this one, where everyone that does have a beta is ranting "oooo the new features are so cool, blah blah, you fixed all this stuff since the public release several betas ago, etc etc" while those who're not in "the group" just sit back and wait... or whatever (and yes, some of them whine! And no, this ain't a whine.. just observation)

And when someone does whine a little then everyone jumps up and down in support of the dev "shut up shut up you ass" - I guess a lot does get lost in just posting some text on message boards, eh.. can't blame the fan community for being a little antsy though I guess, in lieu of all the hype (but of course, when their whining turns to disrespect "the sound sucks" etc then that's a different matter)

Anyway. Don't get me wrong. I agree 100% that fans should support HB development, especially for a coder who maintains such an active forum prescence and is actually quite upfront with people "if you donate, I WILL hook you up" -- that's refreshing. And yeah, any coder deserves compensation for his work, and if it's not actual dinero then at least just some respect, appreciation for the hours spent etc (enough not to keep going on "where's mine, where's mine!")

Me, I am still digging the public release. I keep intending to donate too but ahhh, I am lazy (not to mention my own cashflow has been disarmingly erratic as of late) and to be honest, too busy w/ other shit to enjoy my GP32 right now (the batteries are more useful to me in my walkman right now, keeping me company as I work on my own stuff) so i am in no hurry to be one of "the first in line," I can wait (and so long as it's in development, all the better!) Yes we GP32r's are definitely a patient lot overall.

Someday I will get off my ass and make a generous thank-you dev to the coders of my favorite softs, but that's beside the point. You all know what I am saying. It's just video games guys, don't be sweating it all too much. Just play and have fun.

Nobody HAS to donate money. If you don't want to donate then wait for the next public release.

Its not like I'm not going to release another public version, If I turned around tommorow and said that I was not going to release another public version and the only way to get the latest version of DrMD was to donate...that would be wrong.

I'm just saying that everybody is "NOT" entitled to have a beta version of DrMD. I want to be able to pick and choose who gets betas.

I don't know what the big fuss is about anyway. Beta's are buggy, the save states change from one beta to another and are not compatible, but you do get to see any advancements before anybody else.

Anyway in the end I'm not going to change what I'm doing,
people who donate will get betas.
Other GP32 developers can have betas.
Everybody else can just wait.

EDIT

Its interesting that only 3 devers have asked for beta's, there obviously too busy deving :). If any of the devers want a beta, don't PM me... Email me. I'm useless at responding to IM's. Especially now the board is sooo slow at the moment.

Email Address = drsms_reesy"AT"yahoo.co.uk

Back