Drmd

you, me and Dave C, so far, have noticed that some games have had this happen, with the music slowing down. I forget what game it was I noticed this on now... maybe Ghouls and Ghosts? I forget I was kinda in a rush. Dave C noticed it in Thunderforce 3.

As far as the sound not sounding right in SoR 2, you probably had it set on the default sound quality (8000-whatever it is), in which case it will sound a bit off from what you probably remember it. Reesy mentions in the readme that the default sound quality of the older betas was the 16000 whatever it was setting, so if you change it to that setting in Beta 7 it will sound fine.

Reesy posted on Mar 14 2005 at 12:53 AM said:
@spaceboygp32x: Yeah I've been playing with different cpu settings, I must have forgotten to change the code back to the original setting for 156Mhz. I'll fix this for v2.0, thanks.

Bless - I didnt even think it was a bug

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy,

Any chance I can get hold of a beta if I donate some cash to your paypal account ?

If so, what would be an appropriate amount ?

TIA.

The public version will be out soon, you may as well just wait. But if you want to support my work so far just send a couple of quid, its all good.

Reesy posted on Mar 15 2005 at 01:48 PM said:
The public version will be out soon, you may as well just wait. But if you want to support my work so far just send a couple of quid, its all good.

Good point, I will still make a donation for all of your hard work.

i have a small request... does the new DrMD have a better gamma/brightness setting? the old one doesn't go much brighter,which isn't really fair on us poor humble NLU owners...

Does the emulator run faster than the first public release?

There was a problem with Wonderboy 5: Monster World 3 (the RPG one) where you couldn't equip new items that you bought. Is this fixed in the latest beta?

Damn Reesy, following the progression of this therad I see you've been working your ass off. You da man. Can't wait to try out the new version!

@ anyone with the new beta- Does Shining Force I/II work at all? I would assume not since I believe it was a cyclone bug that held it back, but hey, its worth a shot

EDIT: thanks onionfrog

No, the shining force games dont work in beta 7... :(
Because its a cyclone problem...
If it did work I would be dancing around with happiness :D
But it doesnt :(
But the great deal of games that do work in beta 7 play excellently! :D

I'd say the speed of the actual emulation hasn't changed much from v1.0. It slowed down just the tiniest bit when Reesy put in the DAC emulation (like 1-2 fps average, well worth it!) and now that Reesy has put in the variable sound frequencies, you can gain back 2-3fps or sometimes even more by leaving it at the lower settings (which doesn't sound bad at all, well worth the speed increase IMO).

So really the games run at about the same speed but there have been SOOOO many things fixed (mostly sound issues) and some good options added to the menu, my favorite is the quick save/load...

bast525 posted on Mar 17 2005 at 11:26 PM said:
I'd say the speed of the actual emulation hasn't changed much from v1.0. It slowed down just the tiniest bit when Reesy put in the DAC emulation (like 1-2 fps average, well worth it!) and now that Reesy has put in the variable sound frequencies, you can gain back 2-3fps or sometimes even more by leaving it at the lower settings (which doesn't sound bad at all, well worth the speed increase IMO).

So really the games run at about the same speed but there have been SOOOO many things fixed (mostly sound issues) and some good options added to the menu, my favorite is the quick save/load...

You noticed a FPS increase with low quality sound? I didn't notice any, I tried with the FPS counter switched on and it didn't change at all at 16Khz or 8 Khz it was exactly the same. I guess it depends on the game?

Also the slowdown didn't come with the first DAC version. It came with the one just after and has remained there until beta 6. In beta 6 we lost 2 more FPS, but it appears that we got back those in beta 7. So currently we are at -2 FPS from the first DAC beta.

Back