Drsms

This is truly amazing. full speed at framskip 1 at only 33mhz (22000hz)

Battery life here we come!

BTW : Baku baku animal for the GG works, thing is: i cant push the start button

It is funny to hear what Dr stands for :D In my mind, whenever I read DrMD or DrSMS, I call them DoctorMD or DoctorSMS :D Never only D R M D :)

mee too, in my mind i always seem them as DoctorMD or DoctorSMS.

hey!
i just realized, there was a drsms for gba! i loved that emulator!! sonic 1 was playable!
you the man, reesy!

I somewhat feel guilty that we took Reesy away from the GBA scene. I loved my GBA, but as soon as I got my GP32 i abadoned it. DrSMS was a very great emulator, tho. And now it is ported to my favourite handheld. What a freaking piece of history :)

I remember playing the beta a while back, which you asked us not to report bugs for. Haven't tried this version yet, but I guess it must have been pretty much improved.

thank you Reesy for your work

Just tried it, and it looks great. a few things, tho:

1. Does the emu run fullspeed at 90MHz? I am asking this, because the emu is set to 90 MHz be default.

2. I remaped the controls, but for some reason I couln't get the pause button to work. I tried setting it to start and also select, but neither of the two worked.

thanks again for a new sweet emu :)

but i noticed that even at 33mhz, Sonic Chaos runs TOO fast, a frame rate limiter would be a nice thing in the next version...

and please don't flame me for this, but i'm a bit disappointed about the discontinuation of osnes, it could've been just perfect with the new soundcore.. but i understand your situation and i'm already really happy with the new hacked osnes, so thanks alot!! :)

Actually I do believe there is a frame limiter in this version. Could it be that you are use to playing the 50Hz Pal version of Sonic? If there were no frame limiter then when you crank up the clock rate to 200Mhz everything would be smoking fast but it's locked in at 60fps.

Horscht posted on Oct 11 2005 at 03:12 PM said:
Just tried it, and it looks great. a few things, tho:

1. Does the emu run fullspeed at 90MHz? I am asking this, because the emu is set to 90 MHz be default.

2. I remaped the controls, but for some reason I couln't get the pause button to work. I tried setting it to start and also select, but neither of the two worked.

1) The emu should run at full speed at 70-80Mhz but I set the default to 90Mhz just to be sure, feel free to change the speed to suit your needs.

2) Yep thanks for reminding, I put in the control settings but I forgot to add the pause button emulation. Its a bit weird on the SMS as the pause button does not act like a normal button, instead it just calls a NMI (Non Maskable Interrupt) each time its pressed. I'll add this when I add GG support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take Off Every Zig.

Indeed I also Think of it as Dr. especially a MD. too much watchin ER I guess. Reesy should have a Licence plate that says DrMD so that people can ask him for medical advice.

Awesome! The speed is very impressive.

I noticed something funny: I tried playing a GG game (Psychic World) and despite the broken palette, it actually worked sort of! But the funny thing was that you could see not just what would've been on the GG screen, but also outside of that area, as if the game was running on a SMS. The GG version of Sonic & Tails also had almost perfect full-screen

So I've been thinking, maybe once you have GG mode worked in, it might be worthwhile to look into this and possibly create a hybrid GG/SMS mode for GG games? With the right palette, but drawing the stuff outside of the GG screen as well.
I don't know of any emulator that does this, so it might even be some kind of innovation. :)

A minor complaint:

While I really like the interface, the controls are kind of counter-intuitive.
I keep pressing B to exit menus, seeing that I'm used to it after playing zillions of games that have A = accept and B = cancel.
And I'd like to use left and right to change options instead of A/B and L/R to skip one page up or down.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's more intuitive (this goes for both DrMD & DrSMS, obviously, since they share the same interface ;-) ).

P.S.: A speed-button to skip 100-times-seen-already intros and cutscenes would be handy!

@Dryer Lint: The GG *full screen* mode is already used in the GBA version of this emulator. It works well on a couple of games but its a lot of work for me to do on the GP32 version as it would mean writing another 2 video emulation cores. In the GBA version its just a case of disabling a layer in the GBA hardware because the emulator uses the GBA graphics hardware instead of having to render each frame in software like the GP32 version.

With regards the interface comments, I love the current setup...so it stays :) Thats the beauty of writing an emulator, you get to decide shit like that ;)

The speed up button is a good idea though, I may add that if I have time.

Reesy

Dryer Lint posted on Oct 12 2005 at 11:49 AM said:
So I've been thinking, maybe once you have GG mode worked in, it might be worthwhile to look into this and possibly create a hybrid GG/SMS mode for GG games? With the right palette, but drawing the stuff outside of the GG screen as well.
I don't know of any emulator that does this, so it might even be some kind of innovation. :)

You're looking for Emukon, an emulator where you can do it since years (formerly eSMS). Just change the screen to SMS in the configuration menu while playing :)

EDIT: Just realized: They removed it with Emukon, so get eSMS instead (same page ;))

Last edited:
Back