GP2X Drum Machine

ricochet

Still Fresh
I've been reading thru some coding examples, I asume we can use pthread?

Can the sound processor play more than one wav at a time?

Anyone seen a drum machine program, if not anyone interested in helping code one? Could be cool to have such a portable mini "fruity loops".

google turned up this:
http://www.flexatone.net/athena.html
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/athenaCL_win/
http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/EN/id/1475/

The athenaCL system is an open-source, object-oriented composition tool written in Python. The system can be scripted and embedded, and includes integrated instrument libraries, post-tonal and microtonal pitch modeling tools, multiple-format graphical outputs, and musical output in Csound, MIDI, audio file, XML, and text formats.

Musical parts are deployed as Textures, layered surface-defining objects containing numerous independent ParameterObjects to control pitch, tempo, rhythm, amplitude, panning, and instrument (Csound) parameters.

sounds promising. it's a cmd line tool so maybe it's possible to make a gui that uses certain features of the program in a beat box / drum machine fashion?

damn, i need to learn how to code so that i can do this stuff myself.

edit: i tried to run it, i think you might have to also download csound to use as a rendering engine...no prob though as csound is also open source :)

i've been working on some music apps for the gp2x (midishare) and definitely intend to get a tracker/drum-machine style app up and running in the near future.

littleGPtracker is running on the GP32, and would be a very nice item to port .. probably relatively quickly too, from what little i know of the source so far .. so maybe there will indeed be some very fast ports/apps up on the GP2X for music-making soon.

No, rather not as it's an AC97 codec. However the gp2x has enough processing power to do decent mixing in software.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, rather not as it's an AC97 codec. However the gp2x has enough processing power to do decent mixing in software.

I was scanning the sdl and saw the play_wav function took a channel, I guess that's not what I'm looking for?

I saw some mixing algorithms around here... Never done it myself, would be interesting to play with the digital steam.

Then could I create a basic synth by creating waveforms and sending them to the sound driver?

i've been working on some music apps for the gp2x (midishare) and definitely intend to get a tracker/drum-machine style app up and running in the near future.

littleGPtracker is running on the GP32, and would be a very nice item to port .. probably relatively quickly too, from what little i know of the source so far .. so maybe there will indeed be some very fast ports/apps up on the GP2X for music-making soon.

Hello boyz and girls...
I'll join the gp2X community soon (I hope :| ) and this type of application is really what I'm looking for (being happy, I mean).
A well ported tracker app or a dedicated one will be great for me.
A mixing software will be funny too.
Keep digin' this !

There is alot of interest, but it seems there is few who are actually working on this. I know everyone thinks it would be great to have... of course, but it would require a fair amount of effort to get running well.

timbobsteve posted on Feb 21 2006 at 07:49 AM said:
There is alot of interest, but it seems there is few who are actually working on this. I know everyone thinks it would be great to have... of course, but it would require a fair amount of effort to get running well.

Yes, of course I can imagine how complicated it will be to achieve a proper app doing that.
And the fact is I can't help as :
1- I don't have my GP2X now (patience... patience...)
2- I don't know anything about Linux (shame !shame !ouhouh!)
> For this I'm going to make an effort and begin to learn as soon as I get my gear.

But I'm a big audio+midi user an every platform that I use. So I could easily do some beta testing and help in understanding how things works for dev who just know Linux.

So... Bring it up ! Become a god for few peeps ;)

Anyway... Anybody's using an emulated tracker or sequencer on Gp2X ? feedbacks ?

I saw peoples talking about Chocopoolp's apps for PalmOS for exemple.
and M-.-n guy who made LittleGpTracker (a.k.a 'The piggy') is thinking of porting it to Gp2X (that kind of guy that became god ;) ).
I'll donate few $$$ to see that happen !

EDIT : I got my Gp2X ! But still suck in Linux or C++ ...
10 If input>0
20 Then goto hell (you see :blink: )

I ordered my 2x and the sources of littlegptracker are pretty modular. I use SDL for the display of the windows version so basically all I need to get the basic stuff working is access to the sound device which, apparently, is going to be pretty easy. I'd say in a month or so it should be available.

timbobsteve posted on Feb 21 2006 at 07:49 AM said:

Thats awsome news M-.-n thanks. I haven't actually used LittleGPtracker as I don't have a GP32... but I look forward to trying it out.

M-.-n posted on Feb 21 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
I ordered my 2x and the sources of littlegptracker are pretty modular. I use SDL for the display of the windows version so basically all I need to get the basic stuff working is access to the sound device which, apparently, is going to be pretty easy. I'd say in a month or so it should be available.

I ordered mine too... Joy
A month ! Great, that's fast (---tracker).
I read a bit of the Pdf found on the WIKI talking about the soundchip of the Gp2x.
It looks like a simple audio chip offering nice possibilities !
A month... :)

virusx posted on Feb 22 2006 at 06:11 AM said:
I ordered mine too... Joy
A month ! Great, that's fast (---tracker).
I read a bit of the Pdf found on the WIKI talking about the soundchip of the Gp2x.
It looks like a simple audio chip offering nice possibilities !
A month...  :)

I know it does all I need. providing a stereo DAC. LGPT does all the mixing internally so it is going to be rather easy if the API is there. 'Torpor' Jay told me it was there so everything should be right as rain.

if all you need is a stereo DAC, you could be using rlyeh's minilib, even, for the audio output .. greenskin (joost) has some synthesis happening through that right now, also, so be sure to check with him if you want more operational details ..

edit: Also, if you want to use SDL, check this tutorial out: http://www.kekkai.org/roger/sdl/

i'm moving on the MidiShare GP2X port .. have had a few thorny bugs to tackle and distracted by other things (gadget audio) but i'm hoping to have it all wrapped up and ready for submitting to the Grame guys soon .. with MidiShare and g_audio, the GP2X has everything it needs for serious synthesis ..

Back