Ds Emulator (not A Request Thread!)

Devilmandex

Still Fresh
I'm interested to know if this is possible. I myself can't see it happening.

I do know there was a POC for psp that ran 2fps with a couple of demos but there was also a lesser known release for psp which ran on top of dosbox that played ds games (commercial at about 5 fps while hombrew ran at like 10. I have to assume that something running on top of dosbox wont really be that optimised and I know the person who released it was a real noob. z244z I think it was. I'm interested in seeing how this runs on the wiz in it's current form and hearing from real devs if decent DS emulation is possible.

Dexter

Last edited by a moderator:
Devilmandex said:
I'm interested to know if this is possible. I myself can't see it happening.

I do know there was a POC for psp that ran 2fps with a couple of demos but there was also a lesser known release for psp which ran on top of dosbox that played ds games (commercial at about 5 fps while hombrew ran at like 10. I have to assume that something running on top of dosbox wont really be that optimised and I know the person who released it was a real noob. z244z I think it was. I'm interested in seeing how this runs on the wiz in it's current form and hearing from real devs if decent DS emulation is possible.

Dexter

Are you sure such an emulator really existed? I'm not aware of any DS emulators for DOS and the whole scenario seems very difficult to believe. I don't think DOSBox PSP can realistically emulate better than a low end 386, especially with the extra overhead involved in emulating a protected mode PC program. What you're describing is a good 10% of runtime speed for DS emulation, so let's say a computer 10x faster than a 25MHz 386 would run it at 100% speed. That'd mean this DS emulator for DOS would run at full speed on a 133MHz Pentium 1 or so, which is just not even close to feasible. The best DS emulators out for PC struggle to attain fullspeed on my 2GHz AthlonX2 (with No$GBA managing it a good amount of the time with varying amounts of frameskip, but DesMuME never really even coming close). I'm sure that much more efficient emulation can be managed but not in the ballpark of 20-30x more efficient.

I would like to see more sources referring to the emulator you're talking about because I think there must be a misunderstanding about it.

Suffice it to say, Wiz isn't going to be much more powerful than PSP (and in some ways less powerful). DS emulation is going to be unlikely, and with such a small screen and relatively low resolution (320x240) you'll be quite hard pressed to display two 256x192 screens.

Devilmandex said:
I do know there was a POC for psp that ran 2fps with a couple of demos but there was also a lesser known release for psp which ran on top of dosbox that played ds games (commercial at about 5 fps while hombrew ran at like 10. I have to assume that something running on top of dosbox wont really be that optimised and I know the person who released it was a real noob.
That DS emulator running under dosbox barely runs homebrew with a frameskip of 8 (I think that's what he said, the audio was pretty bad), and commercial games not at all. If this isn't a straight-up hoax, it's still not anywhere near a playable emulator.

The Pandora is several times faster than the Wiz and has 5x the display resolution, and it's still a long shot that it will ever emulate the DS in a usefull manner. There is no chance at all that it will ever happen on the Wiz.

'Chip' said:
'Devilmandex' said:
I do know there was a POC for psp that ran 2fps with a couple of demos but there was also a lesser known release for psp which ran on top of dosbox that played ds games (commercial at about 5 fps while hombrew ran at like 10. I have to assume that something running on top of dosbox wont really be that optimised and I know the person who released it was a real noob.
That DS emulator running under dosbox barely runs homebrew with a frameskip of 8 (I think that's what he said, the audio was pretty bad), and commercial games not at all. If this isn't a straight-up hoax, it's still not anywhere near a playable emulator.

The Pandora is several times faster than the Wiz and has 5x the display resolution, and it's still a long shot that it will ever emulate the DS in a usefull manner. There is no chance at all that it will ever happen on the Wiz.
Oh I know this. I just wanted devs opinions on what is and isn't possible and on how this was made. I've actually spoken to the guy who made this and it really didn't seem like he knew what he was doing.

Excuse me while I get over the shock of a No$GBA version for DOS that actually runs DS games. Martin Korth always was kind of.. I don't know, eccentric.

Okay, now that I'm over that.. this version probably isn't any good for anything and looking at how simple homebrew games run doesn't give you an accurate representation of how commercial games would run. Homebrew that barely does anything on the video hardware and uses a tiny percentage of CPU time could easily run dozens of times faster than a typical commercial game would.

And since all the NDS games I tried crashed it outright when I tried running it in DOSBox on a PC, I'm going to assume it doesn't actually run any commercial games and wouldn't even if PSP had a lot of memory.

Peter R said:
PSP people.... they will believe anything.
This isn't a hoax. Just worthless and very misleading.

Exophase posted on Apr 13 2009 at 11:46 PM said:
Peter R posted on Apr 13 2009 at 11:14 PM said:
PSP people.... they will believe anything.
This isn't a hoax. Just worthless and very misleading.
It's possible to emulate anything on anything.

.... You just won't be able to use it.

<.<

It's not possible to emulate something if you don't have enough memory. A Nintendo DS for example could never emulate an XBox 360 at any speed because it doesn't have enough memory, even with RAM maxed out on slot 2.

Exophase posted on May 20 2009 at 10:26 PM said:
It's not possible to emulate something if you don't have enough memory. A Nintendo DS for example could never emulate an XBox 360 at any speed because it doesn't have enough memory, even with RAM maxed out on slot 2.
Virtual memory =D

SD cards =D

Anything is possible =D

There's a big difference between a battle of coding knowledge and someone spouting nonsense =D
Sure you can accomplish more by shoehorning memory over some external interface. You can also emulate a platform by porting an expansion card that contains the platform's hardware on it. Or maybe it should count as emulation if you use the DS as a screen for a TV tuner connected to an XBox 360?

I was talking about using the console as is, with nothing but software. Requiring auxiliary hardware, even memory cards (which are not standard on DS < DSi, which is of course what I was referring to), completely nullifies the argument.

I just listed slot 2 RAM since that's the first thing people tend to bring up in this kind of argument, not because I would have counted it.

Back