Ds Help With Driving Games / Homebrew

andyB911

Website
Visit site
I was given a DS Lite for Christmas with the obligatory Brain Training. But as yet I still haven't actually bought any games for it (mostly as I have a stack of GBA games that I can use with it).

But using the DS as GBA seems a bit of a waste, and need to try something new whilst waiting for the Pandora... :)

So, the one thing that the gp2x lacks is good driving games. Anyone got 'Race Driver' for the DS? From googling, looks to be the best of the crop. Any other good race games for the DS? Any other games that I really can't claim to be a DS owner without?

Equally, I'd like to try homebrew and 'backups'. From my research, looks like the Cyclo Evolution is the best mod device, but its reasonably expensive once you get that and a large capacity mini-SD so keen to know if anyone has this or the equivalents before I splash the cash...

Where is a good site to find DS homebrew?

Thanks...

Andy

PS If nothing else I now have a device similar in size and form factor to the Pandora so can 'get to grips' with the design.. :D

Ive had some really good experience with my M3 Real. You can usually pick up a cheap 2GB micro SD from a best buy or something. good site for homebrew is ds-scene.net. Sometimes the news gets a little slow, but overall they have update on all homebrew and backups that come out. For racing games idk.

Go to DealExtreme.com, I got my M4 with a 1gb micro SD from there for £21 (with free delivery!).

Been running PicoDrive on my DS, it's a fairly playable MegaDrive emulator, and I cannot recommend Contra 4 enough - everyone who has a DS must play this game!

I love my ds and my m3 flash card. However, for racing games, it is the wrong handheld. For this purpose I prefer my gp2x and my psp. out rund on gp2x and sega rally, out run 2 on psp.

the ds for me is tetris, tetris, tetris (online matches), advance wars (of course), zoo keeper (the ultimate puzzle action), meteos, nes emulation

Thanks for the feedback..

TwoHeadedBoy said:
Go to DealExtreme.com, I got my M4 with a 1gb micro SD from there for £21 (with free delivery!).

Been running PicoDrive on my DS, it's a fairly playable MegaDrive emulator, and I cannot recommend Contra 4 enough - everyone who has a DS must play this game!
Hadn't come across DealExtreme - will check them out. Thanks. Read good things about Contra 4 in (I think) Retro Gamer...

chaos engineer said:
I love my ds and my m3 flash card. However, for racing games, it is the wrong handheld. For this purpose I prefer my gp2x and my psp. out rund on gp2x and sega rally, out run 2 on psp.

the ds for me is tetris, tetris, tetris (online matches), advance wars (of course), zoo keeper (the ultimate puzzle action), meteos, nes emulation
For tetris I have my original Gameboy. I've yet to find a version that is actually better, although online competions do sound interesting.

I wouldn't have bought a DS 'for' racing games. Rather having been given one as a Chrimbo present by the wife, and there being a bit of a lack on the gp2x (outrun / drift out excepted) wondered if there might be a good one on there....

Last edited by a moderator:
andyB911 said:
and there being a bit of a lack on the gp2x (outrun / drift out excepted) wondered if there might be a good one on there....
outrun is reason enough to buy the gp2x. but there is also stunt car racer (atari st emu), powerdrift (c64), lotus turbo challenge (mega drive, amiga),

my favourite handheld racer at the moment is pole position 2 on psp (via the psx game namco museum vol. 3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Trackmania DS has finally been confirmed today: http://youtube.com/watch?v=s7rTFZH0WFg

I would suggesst waiting for this game. If you don't know what Trackmania is I highly recommend downloading Trackmania Nations for the PC (free game, not demo). Great addictive racing game with very nice graphics.

The 'Race Driver' game on the Ds is supposed to be very good, with the only where it really shines. There's another one from the 'Race Driver' series coming out on the DS as well later this year. And as mentioned, trackmania is coming to the DS as well. Apart from those, there really isn't much else worth looking into on the DS racing game wise, other than Mario Kart but thats a given anyway.

I think the Asphalt GT series for DS were pretty good. That being said, I spend most of my time playing the GBA version of Rock'n'roll racing on my DS, I love that game! BTW, the cyclo Evo takes microSD's, not miniSD's.

Back