Dsl!

Spadoof

Website
Visit site
Noob Coment: I was just reading an articale in popular science and saw that this was part of a project: www.damnsmalllinux.org . This Os is only 50Mb and can run on very little ram and processing power. You can even boot it off of a usb drive! Is it possible in any way to somehow run this on the gp2x?

Note: I have not yet tryed this on my computer. For more details see the site!

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prjQ7MwuCWI...ted&search=

Last edited by a moderator:
It or something derived from it probably could (clearly the same binaries cannot be used as they're for x86), but it'd probably be better and not much more work to compile your own custom system from scratch.

The GP2X already runs Linux, and it's even smaller than 50MB, so I guess that could be called damntinylinux? ;)

Squidge said:
The GP2X already runs Linux, and it's even smaller than 50MB, so I guess that could be called damntinylinux? ;)
I've had it booting with <3MB :D.

The question is, can you actually do anything with a distribution thats only 3MB, or is that just the kernel?

That's the kernel and more than enough command line applications to be useful. I don't think a system with a menu would be too tricky in <5MB.

Spadoof said:
Noob Coment: I was just reading an articale in popular science and saw that this was part of a project: www.damnsmalllinux.org . This Os is only 50Mb and can run on very little ram and processing power. You can even boot it off of a usb drive! Is it possible in any way to somehow run this on the gp2x?

good idea i have used dsl and its pretty cool it boots really fast from a cd unlike the big linuxes like unbuntu. Thses linuxs are called live cds all you do is pop them in and clcik your bios and boot from cd or if its on a usb stick or w/e else.. Heres the problem why dsl wont work it requires to much resource. The minimum resource is 500 mhz with 128 ram minimum. So it could run but it would be slow. Maybe it can work through bochs becuase 95 booted.

predatorramboxxx said:
Spadoof said:

good idea i have used dsl and its pretty cool it boots really fast from a cd unlike the big linuxes like unbuntu. Thses linuxs are called live cds all you do is pop them in and clcik your bios and boot from cd or if its on a usb stick or w/e else.. Heres the problem why dsl wont work it requires to much resource. The minimum resource is 500 mhz with 128 ram minimum. So it could run but it would be slow. Maybe it can work through bochs becuase 95 booted.

1. You don't need DSL. Just ask somebody to port DSL apps and Fluxbox, or just wait for Open2X.

2. DSL can run on 486 computers. Maybe you mean DSL-N, the enhanced but more resource-hogging version.

3. lolbump

Back