Dual Cpu Question

christo930

I've written to the maintainer of Macmame and he said Mame would need to be completely rewritten to take advantage of the second processor in most new professional Mac's. Are most of the emulators for the gp32 going to need to be completely redone in order to take advantage of multiple processors? Are emulators a good example of software that would benefit from multiple processors? I've also heard that most software, even after being rewritten doesn't benefit that much from multiple processors and that one fast processor is better than 2 1/2 speed processors (1 100mhz better than 2 50mhz)

Chris

I've written to the maintainer of Macmame and he said Mame would need to be completely rewritten to take advantage of the second processor in most new professional Mac's. Are most of the emulators for the gp32 going to need to be completely redone in order to take advantage of multiple processors? Are emulators a good example of software that would benefit from multiple processors? I've also heard that most software, even after being rewritten doesn't benefit that much from multiple processors and that one fast processor is better than 2 1/2 speed processors (1 100mhz better than 2 50mhz)

Chris

Yes. There is need of rewrting and even totally rethinking the software for dual cores of GP2x. But... GP2x's MMSP2 chipset doesn't have a second Arm9 core for symmetric like multiprocessing. It's main function is to serve as controller and data parser for the other hardware coprocesors in the GP2x. Yep, the GP2x goes far beyond than "just dual cpus" with its multiple hw coprocs.

It's will be hard to utilise at first but eventually results might come. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back