Dual Shock Too Twitchy...

razzy

Website
Visit site
Having played through both super monkey balls on the gamecube I consider myself quite profficient at the game but playing Super Monkey Ball Deluxe on the PS2 recently I have drawn the following conclusions:

1) The Dual Shock 2 seems far too twitchy for my liking making the game a lot harder.

2) The graphics arent as good as the Gamecube version (certain effects are missing such as reflections on bonus stages).

3) It has loading times between every level, ok they only take a few seconds but after playing the Gamecube versions they do feel quite intrusive especially if you need to restart a level.

Overal though it is a good game just not as good as its Gamecube namesake.

Hopefully these gripes are addressed in the XBOX version (the XBOX analogue sticks are far better than the Dual Shocks IMO, graphics should be better, no need for loading as it has more memory. etc etc...

What do you lot think?

Hmmm IMO the PS2 dual shocks work just fine, and the Xbox dual shocks work exactly the same, no better no worse. I have both and play each every chance I get and wouldn't say either one controls any more precise. Personally I love the PS2 dual shock and love the smaller Xbox controller "S" as well... they each work great IMO.

if you find the controls on a given game to be too twitchy this is most likely due to the way the programmers set the controller to function... it's up to the programmers to set just how sensitive they want the controls to be.

You often do find, in ports from one console to another, that the controls may feel slightly different or 'off', and I am betting the Xbox version also will probably feel a bit different from the GC, though that may be better or worse its' all up to the individual.

One BIG difference between the GC and the PS2/Xbox controllers is that the GC's analogs have the 8 distinct direction notches, whereas the 'border' for the PS2/Xbox analogs are just round. In games like Monkey ball where you might try to line up straight and just push straight up on the stick to run straight forward down a narrow lane, I imagine on both the Xbox and PS2 it will be hard to hold a perfectly straight line... but again, this really depends on just how sensitive they make the controls (in Monkey Ball even on the GC they ARE set to be sensitive to even very small movements or change in direction). Maybe you just need to be a bit more precise with it :D ;) :p

PinkSpider posted on Mar 27 2005 at 12:51 PM said:
Is multiplayer fun still? This would be the main reason for me to buy it.
Yeah multiplayer is still fun it has all the bonus games from monkeyball 1 & 2

bast525 posted on Mar 27 2005 at 12:53 PM said:
Hmmm IMO the PS2 dual shocks work just fine, and the Xbox dual shocks work exactly the same, no better no worse. I have both and play each every chance I get and wouldn't say either one controls any more precise. Personally I love the PS2 dual shock and love the smaller Xbox controller "S" as well... they each work great IMO.

if you find the controls on a given game to be too twitchy this is most likely due to the way the programmers set the controller to function... it's up to the programmers to set just how sensitive they want the controls to be.

You often do find, in ports from one console to another, that the controls may feel slightly different or 'off', and I am betting the Xbox version also will probably feel a bit different from the GC, though that may be better or worse its' all up to the individual.

One BIG difference between the GC and the PS2/Xbox controllers is that the GC's analogs have the 8 distinct direction notches, whereas the 'border' for the PS2/Xbox analogs are just round. In games like Monkey ball where you might try to line up straight and just push straight up on the stick to run straight forward down a narrow lane, I imagine on both the Xbox and PS2 it will be hard to hold a perfectly straight line... but again, this really depends on just how sensitive they make the controls (in Monkey Ball even on the GC they ARE set to be sensitive to even very small movements or change in direction). Maybe you just need to be a bit more precise with it  :D  ;)  :p
I hear what you are saying but trust me there is no problem holding a straight line, the Dual Shock analogues are not as good as either the Gamecubes or the XBoxes (I also have all 3 machines as well as many others), if you would like another example of how the Dual Shock "under performs" try playing Tiger Woods on PS2 then play it on XBOX to see the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark posted on Mar 27 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be to use the PS2 pad on Super Monkey Ball.

Have the stages been altered to make them easier for the pad?

Stages havent been altered but there are new ones:

Beginner now has 40 stages

Advanced has 70 stages

Expert has 100 stages

some of the new ones seem pointless though as they are so simple.

You can pick it up pre owned for 16/17/18.99 from gamestation, I saw one there the other day but my money went on the ds, can't wait for a super money ball DS

Huxley posted on Mar 27 2005 at 01:51 PM said:
I don't know why everyone has such a problem with the PS2's analogue sticks.

You all have cack hands.

I dont have a problem with them for all games just certain ones which require precision control.

You have to remember that the PS2 was first to market so its only natural that Nintendo and Microsoft would have looked at all aspects of the PS2 and tried to improve upon it, Controller included.

I think they both succeded.

That's funny Gran Turismo 3 and 4 certainly require a great deal of precise control especially if you obsess like me over getting gold metals in the license tests... of course I'm sure you anti Sony people will think of some counter to this like "bah a 4 year old with no thumbs could do fine at that" or something similiarly silly to say that this doesn't count or that you dont need to be precise with those games. But I do just fine on this game and many others using the dual shock sticks. Plenty of PS2 owners play plenty of PS2 games and never come away feeling like the controls are too twitchy, and yet there are some games on EVERY system that some would say have way too sensitive controls... it's all in the desing.

You cite yet another game to support your argument, Tiger Woods, but again that really means nothing to me, for each game the case will be different, as it's all in how the programmers make the game respond to the sticks. The technology behind analog sticks is so basic and really is no big secret that Nintendo or Microsoft could 'study' to really make them better...

This is really just another oppinion thread where someone will say how or why they don't like something that will just spiral into a debate...

Console World Peace.

Whilst playing Mario Kart 64 on my XBOX with a PS2 pad, I found the sticks to be really crap.

A switch to the standard XBOX pad solved the problem.

In conclusion, I've always hated the PS2 sticks. They're crap.

ROFL that's a pretty abstract way of determining that a controller sucks.

First off... I've used a couple of those boxes that let you plug controllers from one system into another, as well I sold quite a few back when I worked at Gamestop... you know... no one ever really liked the results, well of course the ones that did probably never came back so they dont, uh... stand out in my mind, but I do remember a lot of people returning them the next day (back when Gamestop had a VERY open return policy) saying that the controls would be all futzed... too sensitive... not sensitive enough... I bought one for using my PS2 controller on my GC (never have liked the GC controller much on games like Tony Hawk where you want to use the D pad) and man it sucked HARD... you had to really mash the buttons to get them to respond, and I tried to play Mario Sunshine and man forget it it was SO sloppy.

And now you're using that to play an EMULATED game on your Xbox? Come on... real scientific.

Having played a ton of Mario 64 on my Xbox using the Xbox controller I would say it is already way too sensitive... I have such a hard time getting Mario to do his tip toe walk to walk up to the pirahna plants and bop'em... I always end up waking them up and getting hit so now when playing on the Xbox I just run past them. Not trying to say the Xbox controller sucks by saying this, I love the Xbox pad... just saying, again, it's a matter of programming, and IMO, whoever devved the N64 emu on the Xbox set the analog to be too sensitive.

Anyways I'm outta this thread it's totally subjective and really who cares to each their own just don't preach 'the PS2 controller sucks' like it's law, plenty of people like them just fine thank you :D

Here's a tip for anyone using the PS2 controller on the XBOX.

When you turn on your XBOX with your PS2 controller and adapter inserted - DO NOT let the analog kick in by itself. Doing so, for some reason, will result in the PS2 buttons in a few games (noticably PES4) to become extremely laggy and needing a super hard press to work.

What you've got to do is, turn on the XBOX, and before the anolog light comes on by itself, turn it on manually. The pad will then work perfectly.

Just something to help you out.

for some reason anyone that has a PS2 as a primary consoel find the pad good

and the people who own Xboxs or GCs dislike them alot

i personally dislike them for two reasons

1.) the twitch

2.) the location of the sticks

The dual shock is without a doubt the best gamepad ever made! imo

hope they keep the same pad on ps3 with just a very few changes.

Same I think the pad rocks. Wierd that so many people don't like it. I like the Gamecube pad too but the PS2 seems to fit better in my hands. The original xbox pad was shite.

Back