Duke 3d No Sound Help??

pgunning1

Still Fresh
HI guys thanks for a great forum been helped a couple of times and always good results :D

My problem is Duke 3d no sound got the latest files ver .03 i think it is now? the game load fine now with a little editing of duke3d.cfg but the sound options are there but can't switch sound on or off. set the sound options all to 0 then 1 just in case. but never had sound even with default file in zip.

Updated the sdl files no probs, havn't done timidity sound don't know how to.

Is sound now fixed?? if so what do I have to do to get it to work?

Got the shareware version off duke 3d realms, not updated the files with 3d realms patches before copying on to gp2x, running version 2.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

The sound does work, in the old version i think it had to be set to 0.

Maybe there is a problem with the sound files themselves?

Cheers for the reply, had sound set to 0 but the sound options are disabled? how can I tell if their corrupt? doom / quake has sound.

Wish installation was easier on these games!

Thanks
Paul

Can anyone tell me what files are related to sound are they in the shareware files or in the linux files????

Thanks
Paul

Please guys what audio files are needed, think I got all the files required, but no sound!

Thanks woogal,

heres one of the config files for duke3d.cfg as follows:

[Sound Setup]
FXDevice = 0
MusicDevice = 1
FXVolume = 180
MusicVolume = 180
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 16
MixRate = 16000
MidiPort = 0x330
BlasterAddress = 0x220
BlasterType = 4
BlasterInterrupt = 7
BlasterDma8 = 1
BlasterDma16 = 5
BlasterEmu = 0x640
ReverseStereo = 1
SoundToggle = 0
VoiceToggle = 1
AmbienceToggle = 1
MusicToggle = 1

Heres the original config file from the shareware 3d duke:

[Sound Setup]
;
;
FXDevice = 13
MusicDevice = 13
FXVolume = 220
MusicVolume = 200
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 1
MixRate = 11000
MidiPort = 0x330
BlasterAddress = 0x220
BlasterType = 1
BlasterInterrupt = 5
BlasterDma8 = 1
BlasterDma16 = 5
BlasterEmu = 0x620
ReverseStereo = 0

Hope this can help.

Many thanks
Paul

Set SoundToggle to 1 and hopefully it should spring into life (FXDevice, MixRate and NumBits all look correct). If you want music then you'll need the timidity instruments (check the readme - can't remember the location of them now) and you should also set the MusicDevice to 0.

Thanks woogal but still no go, can't alter any of the sound settings, sounds all set to off.
heres the setting as it stands:
[Sound Setup]
FXDevice = 0
MusicDevice = 0
FXVolume = 180
MusicVolume = 180
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 16
MixRate = 16000
MidiPort = 0x330
BlasterAddress = 0x220
BlasterType = 4
BlasterInterrupt = 7
BlasterDma8 = 1
BlasterDma16 = 5
BlasterEmu = 0x640
ReverseStereo = 1
SoundToggle = 1
VoiceToggle = 1
AmbienceToggle = 1
MusicToggle = 1

Please help, love the duke but without sound its just a shell of a game.

Thanks
Paul

pgunning1 posted on Jul 25 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
Thanks woogal but still no go, can't alter any of the sound settings, sounds all set to off.

What do you mean, you can't alter them?
You're not trying to change them ingame, are you?
Simply open the above config file with a text editor and save.

Last edited:
Well,

I thought you could alter them from the options menu on/off , like screen brightness ect. but if you can't then fair enough. but with the config file as is, their is still no sound, is the sound file in the 3d duke game a seperate file or is it built in to the large game file?

Is their a particular sdl files series that works best?

All help appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

The sounds are included in the game file, you don't need to worry about SDL as it's all built in, and you should be able to enable/disable sound from the options screen. I'll take a look at this tonight for you and see if I can find out whats stopping the options working.

I remember needing timidity to get sound - sound effects should work without it, though?

Can't someone just give him their .cfg file? My working one is:

[Sound Setup]
FXDevice = 1
MusicDevice = 0
FXVolume = 150
MusicVolume = 224
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 16
MixRate = 16000
MidiPort = 0x330
BlasterAddress = 0x220
BlasterType = 4
BlasterInterrupt = 7
BlasterDma8 = 1
BlasterDma16 = 5
BlasterEmu = 0x640
ReverseStereo = 1
SoundToggle = 1
VoiceToggle = 1
AmbienceToggle = 1
MusicToggle = 1

..if it's any use to you

Make sure that you don't have any .cfg files other than duke3d.cfg and timidity.cfg. Looking through the code it seems that if other files are found it will wait 10 seconds for the user to select the correct one (which you can't do on the gp2x) before automatically picking one for you. If you can't change any sound settings from the options screen then I'd guess that your fxdevice setting is being ignored and something is causing it to default to 13 (which disables sound completely). Try grabbing the .cfg that god_at_hell has posted, and use the whole file (don't just copy the sound part into your own file).

Thanks sooo much guys, i had a couple of cfg files renamed 3dduke ones as they hadn't worked. removed those only one cfg file in the directory, the file from god at hell worked, Ive got sound!! Yessssssss.

Many thanks for all your help.

Paul

Back