Release Dungeon Master / Chaos Strikes Back / etc for Pandora :)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Dungeon Master was the first mouse driven 3d first person RPG -- it created the genre that is popular today. Eye of the Beholder was directly (and they had were proud of it) a clone (for the PC, while DM/CSB were originally for Atari ST and Amiga, and later PC.)

107892869900_2.png

These run full screen or windowed on Pandora and, with the touchscreen acting as mouse (plus pandora specific keybindings to make it more convenient.)

The two games are included in the package; other dungeon packs can be gotten from around the net.

The history of CSB4Win project is the author disassembled the ST version, then rewrite it line by line directly to C, and then refactored for years to turn it into a piece of code you could follow; he also extended it, to allow the engine more space to work in, do video recording for speedruns, and so on. Once the file format of the dungeons was cracked open, editors appeared and you can get many dozen of new dungeons to play through, including some all new game 'total conversions'; theres really a lot to chew on here!

The pandora port was done by a fine lad over in the dmweb forum, and he's worked very hard on this .. had to rewrite the audio routines and he's been busting bugs in the main engine and so on. I didn't do anything here beyond moral support, so all kudos are to him :)

Get it here:

http://www.diamondsword.de/csb/csbwin-11.059rc1.pnd

Feel free to pop it into dl.openhandhelds, but it may not be appropriate for app-store.

Legal: The original game developers (FTL) of DM/CSB have very kindly turned their eye for projects like this; they've emailed that distributing files for free and fan service is okay, but they aren't officially allowed to say anything, nor is anythign commercial anywhere near permitted. Hence, the original games are in this package, but its a little grey. Head over to the DMWeb site to nab dozens of other dungeon packs you can drop into the appdata to enable. (Those are not included, since explicit licensing from the dungeon creator, or if they re-used artwork etc, is unknown, so that wouldn't be kocher to include in the package.)

Enjoy.. this is one of the greats :)

jeff

Skeezix, I already thanked you in the other forums, but thank you again! :) This is a really nice port.

I had considered making a DM port to the DS, and had spent a lot of time redesigning the UI to work on 2 screens and fit into the DS small resolution. Due to those changes, porting CSBWin was not really an option (in my memories, the code can be quite ugly since it's a crude ASM->C port of the original code). That's when I dug into the complexities of the game engine that I realized this project was just too ambitious for me. The amount of detail the original authors had put into this game is just insane, and there are really many many subtleties everywhere.

So that's really great to see a native port of CSBWin on the Pandora, running natively. Especially since the dpad-stylus combo works quite well, and that extra keyboard shortcuts are a nice addition.

Congratulations for this great work!

Oh by the way, a small question: what is the recording option used for?

Cheers!

Frédéric

I'll be sure to pass the word onto the porter .. I didn't do squat on this, just helping him spread the word :)

Recordings allow you to record your play, so you can play it back later (ie: records timestamp of events); its good for walkthroughs, speedruns, reviewing what you did, etc. You can actually download other peoples playthroughs of the game .. for instance, CSB itself can be speedrun in like 20 minutes (!!), due to the dungeon being compressed; DM itself is hard to speedrun since its linear. Sort of neat/weird to see :)

jeff

Haaa, yeah, it seems I was so excited I didn't read your message completely. So kudos to the original porter! :)

Thanks to this "fine lad" who ported it and to Skeezix for bringing it to our attention! Maybe I'll actually make it through the game this time around!

The pandora port was done by a fine lad over in the dmweb forum, and he's worked very hard on this .. had to rewrite the audio routines and he's been busting bugs in the main engine and so on.
Please convey our sincerest gratitude to him for all the effort spent on getting this fine piece of software to run on the Pandora.

Hi

What can I say other thanks for this, I lost many hours playing these games on the Amiga, seems

I am going to loose some more playing them on the Pandora :)

Hello there and thanks for the kind words :)

I'm the guy who did the port (Ful Ir over at the dungeon-master.com forums).

I'm a bit shy and currently busy with RL stuff, so I'm sloooow at posting :(

Thanks to Skeezix for the nice introduction, if I had written it it would have been much shorter.

For the old DM veterans I highly recommend the custom "Conflux III" dungeon if you haven't tried it yet. I used it to keep myself motivated to finish the port :)

If you find any bugs or have some improvement suggestions please let me know.

Thanks to Skeezix for the nice introduction, if I had written it it would have been much shorter.

For the old DM veterans I highly recommend the custom "Conflux III" dungeon if you haven't tried it yet. I used it to keep myself motivated to finish the port :)

good job you owned up! I assumed skeezix did it! nice work btw

Hi

Can I play Conflux III on the Mac under emulation or on the Pandora ?

Also where can I download it from ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Conflux 3 (and others) can be played using various DM/CSB engines; I'm not on top of Mac very much, but dig around dmweb and see if theres a Mac port of CSB4Win or the like. (It'd not be a hard port, so I'd be surprised if someone didn't do it.) But there are a few engines.

Worst case, an ST emu running DM, substituting dungeons, could work, but not sure Conflux work agree with the original engine .. I'm not that on top of how far it pushes things, myself.

Conflux should run fine on the Pandora.

jeff

Nice to see you here, Fireball, and thanks for this great port!

If we want to try Conflux (which is indeed a very cool addition to the original games), do we have to set it up in a specific way on the Pandora?

To play Conflux on the Pandora, just copy the contents "Files" directory (dungeon.dat, csbgraphics.dat etc) from the Conflux 3.zip to a directory pandora/appdata/csb/conflux3 on your SD card and "conflux3" should show up in the launcher. This should work for any CSBwin-compatible custom dungeon.

Can I play Conflux III on the Mac under emulation or on the Pandora ?
You can play it on the Pandora, but I think there is also a port of CSBwin for the Mac. Please see the Dungeon Master Forums for details. As far as I know CSBwin is required to play Conflux 3 because it contains a kind of scripting engine (called "DSA", for Designer Specified Actuators) not available in other DM clones.

Hi

OK, I have Conflux III running many thanks.

Anybody who wants Conflux III follow the link below and follow the Custom Dugeons link on the left, there is

a Conflix III beta 3.5 version but the link is broken.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851

Have fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome and don't be shy we're a friendly bunch.

Many thanks for the port it's great being able to play DM and CSB on the Pandora. It's so fast too. I can remember the doors taking ages to open when entering the dungeons on the ST and Amiga :)

I've already downloaded some custom dungeons. Are there others you'd recommend?

Back