Dvd To Avi Guide.

i dont remeber there being a step-by-step guide, but all u need is the DVD decrypter (or another similar program), DVD-AVI, and VDub.

Yea, i started doing it with those programmes but when i got to the virtualdub part it told me i needed a vpafi codec? it never asked me this before. anyone know why?

sod all that hard work, download avi's through bit torrent, its probably quicker or around the same time with no effort.

You don't really need a Vpafi codec.

Get AnyDVD, use that too make the DVD uncopyprotected.
Use DVD2AVI (to make an avi with a .wav file as well, see instructions)
Use AVImux to combine the wav and avi.
Use virtuadub to compress the huge file.

I need a method too... I bought a new DVD drive to do this, but I'm REALLY low on HDD space (200mb and 400mb on my storage HDD), so I need a good method which won't take up much space.

Aapje89: How much space does your method take up?

I need a method too... I bought a new DVD drive to do this, but I'm REALLY low on HDD space (200mb and 400mb on my storage HDD), so I need a good method which won't take up much space.

Aapje89: How much space does your method take up?
About 10 gigabytes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything works o.k but i cant find the .wav file after ripping the DVD so i have no sound :(.
?, just use dvdshrink to rip the dvd and virtual dub MOD to convert it and it should be no problem

@AXNJAXN: about 1.2 megabytes per minute (thats in gp32 format of course)

But don't you have to rip a large file with dvdshrink first? I don't have room for temporary files that are >200mb

i'm wondering where the audio file is. i rip the DVD with DVD shrink and save the DVD2AVI project file. Then create the dummy file using the apafi codec programme. The when i come to convert it with virtual dub i cant find the .wav audio file. Am i missing something?

May I just say...
This process is illegal.
While fair-use (with reburing DVD's to another format) is legal, there is a law on copyright circumvention which takes precedence ove the fair-use law.
You are not allowed to remove the copy protection for legal uses...Silly!

Illegal? By whose standards? What country has precedence here?

Buddy, this is the no-mans-land of intellectual property.

If you want to talk illegality, discuss the legality of emulators, whose existance should be considered illegal without owning the original hardware. Discuss the legality of roms, which are almost universally illegal, even if the original is owned. Or how about nintendo's patent on the emulator?

Do a little research.

I, for one, do not see the moral problem in getting around copy protection. What would punitive damages be on doing that for something I own?

There are a number of problems concerning law and digital media, not the least of which is the idea of a software patent or a law which prevents fair use.

I intend to use my DVDs that I have bought however I see fit. While this may not include trading files or any form of advocating piracy, if transcoding files to be watched on my GP32 is illegal, I don't care about the law.

[/rant]

Illegal? By whose standards? What country has precedence here?

Buddy, this is the no-mans-land of intellectual property.

If you want to talk illegality, discuss the legality of emulators, whose existance should be considered illegal without owning the original hardware. Discuss the legality of roms, which are almost universally illegal, even if the original is owned. Or how about nintendo's patent on the emulator?

Do a little research.

I, for one, do not see the moral problem in getting around copy protection. What would punitive damages be on doing that for something I own?

There are a number of problems concerning law and digital media, not the least of which is the idea of a software patent or a law which prevents fair use.

I intend to use my DVDs that I have bought however I see fit. While this may not include trading files or any form of advocating piracy, if transcoding files to be watched on my GP32 is illegal, I don't care about the law.

[/rant]
You are the one who needs to do some research.
I spent all of yesterday reading a book on copyright and piracy...

While you will not be sued - as they can't tell.
By law [DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act), Oct. 20, 1998] and EUCD in the EU. Did you wonder why DVDDecrypter was asked being worked on?
Thats because any program that breaks copy-protection is illegal.

These links explain a little more:
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6501.cfm
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/hr2281_dmca_law..._pl105-304.html
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/4278.cfm

Now, whether I agree with this sh*t is a completely different story...
So do not presume that I said what I did to make people stop ripping DVD's, I did it in order that people would realise how stupid some of these laws really are.
Besides I am the biggest pirate on the board probably. *cough*DVDrental*cough*
Anyway, as you can see I have no arguement with most of what you said as it is so true...

I wasn't trying to suggest you hadn't done any research. I was just trying to cite the recent Nintendo patent.

Anyhow, the problem remains that I am on a tight memory constraint. It's a shame that you can't rip anything like decryption tables that wouldn't take up much space and then apply those to virtualdubmod and encode directly from the dvd.

I agree.

Anywho, i used that virtuaDub mod to convert the movie and the audio worked. problem now is that i have 3 .vob files all at different points in the movie. and i can't find any way to link them all together to have the full movie. anyone know how?

Back