E-ink Screen

I think this isn't true either, Ginrai. Or at the very least doesn't matter enough to be a valid point.

I don't see the slots moving to the sides - BUT if they did, it is not an issue.

"But OMG I have to use my off hand to insert a card and I'm all thumbs!"

If it's that big of a deal, then turn the device over first.

Next?

I don't see the slots moving to the sides - BUT if they did, it is not an issue.

"But OMG I have to use my off hand to insert a card and I'm all thumbs!"

If it's that big of a deal, then turn the device over first.

Next?
As I pointed out in my earlier post, it has nothing to do with missing the slot and everything to do with slipping. Turning it over would solve the problem but would be an immense frustration for a user to have to do that every time they needed to change cards if they wanted to make sure they had a firm grip.

Anyway, _wb_ has already pointed out that that's not what he meant.

-God Ginrai

I just took a bare Pandora mainboard with two fingers of my dominant hand (gripping it's sides, of course) and repeatedly inserted an sd card with my non-dominant hand. I still don't understand your concern. At no point I felt I could break something or slip or whatever.

I just took a bare Pandora mainboard with two fingers of my dominant hand (gripping it's sides, of course) and repeatedly inserted an sd card with my non-dominant hand. I still don't understand your concern. At no point I felt I could break something or slip or whatever.
That's not an adequate test, since very few people are going to be inserting while holding the PCB. Second, even if you did an adequate test, that would only be confirmed for you as a user.

_wb_ already said that this wasn't what he meant, so please drop this. All this is doing is increasing the amount of offtopic content in this topic.

-God Ginrai

That's not an adequate test, since very few people are going to be inserting while holding the PCB. Second, even if you did an adequate test, that would only be confirmed for you as a user.

_wb_ already said that this wasn't what he meant, so please drop this. All this is doing is increasing the amount of offtopic content in this topic.

-God Ginrai
That is a very adequate test because holding the pcb by it's sides with two fingers is much harder than holding a nice case with your whole hand and the SD slots miss the reinforcement they get from the case. So I even made it harder for myself and it was still easy.

That is a very adequate test because holding the pcb by it's sides with two fingers is much harder than holding a nice case with your whole hand and the SD slots miss the reinforcement they get from the case. So I even made it harder for myself and it was still easy.
Since you refuse to listen to me, I am taking this discussion into PM so that you will stop posting offtopic.

-God Ginrai

Interesting. I don't know if whole book can be read by this method. Plus what I like when I read is that contrary to watching video or listening to music, I am the one who act and not just undergo.

Last edited by a moderator:
A small display would be good enough to read books or other long texts if it's refresh rate is high enough (at least 10 FPS or so) to allow this:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15808-speed-reader//URL]
I do not want to question the idea behind speed reading, but having that would be (to me) the equivalent of not having an E-Ink screen: I am in no way interested in reading a book with a certain speed (or improve that for whatever reasons).

A small display would be good enough to read books or other long texts if it's refresh rate is high enough (at least 10 FPS or so) to allow this:

I do not want to question the idea behind speed reading, but having that would be (to me) the equivalent of not having an E-Ink screen: I am in no way interested in reading a book with a certain speed (or improve that for whatever reasons).
You don't have to use the screen for that if you don't want to. I just mentioned this because previously I thought the refresh rate was not important for the secondary display, but if you want to do something like Spritz-reading in sunlight, you'll need a better refresh rate.

Normal e-ink tends to have a low refresh rate, so maybe something like memory LCD would be better.

Spritz is claiming you can read more comfortably using their method (also faster, but that's another thing), and since reading comfort is one of the main advantages of e-paper, I thought this could be interesting.

To the screens in general I could think of several different Variants.

All have in common to use the screen without a touch-function. A musicplayer, a e-book reader, showing messages and incoming calls all is handable good enough with the shoulder buttons and the volume.

I like the small screen on the side of the pyra for music 8and perhaps phone calls and the "big" screen on the lid as e-book reader.

Can't decide,tough

I would also be willing to pay about 80 € more for a bigger e-ink screen on the lid. Great idea! My main use would be reading ebooks and displaying all sorts of static information. In my opinion a small 2-3 line display on the front of the case wouldn't make full use of all the opportunities e-ink has to offer.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet - maybe the shoulder buttons could be used for navigation so it would save the additional cost for touchscreen and you wouldn't have to open up the clamshell. If it makes no big difference touchscreen would be fine as well.

That wouldn't work for all the different filetypes, and wouldn't be able to display images in the ebooks. And as others mentioned, forcing others to read at a certain pace can ruin their enjoyment or understanding of the text. I know I sometimes pause to reflect on what I just read, even looking back and rereading parts occasionally.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet - maybe the shoulder buttons could be used for navigation so it would save the additional cost for touchscreen and you wouldn't have to open up the clamshell. If it makes no big difference touchscreen would be fine as well.
It's been mentioned. That certainly would work for things like an RSS reader, ebook reader, Media player, etc. However, by having a touchscreen, we can allow more complex things. (More options to toggle in the media player like eq settings and shuffle, web browsing, etc.)

-God Ginrai

It's been mentioned. That certainly would work for things like an RSS reader, ebook reader, Media player, etc. However, by having a touchscreen, we can allow more complex things. (More options to toggle in the media player like eq settings and shuffle, web browsing, etc.)

-God Ginrai
You're right of course.

Edit: Anyone got any infos wether yota devices uses an additional layer of protection (like some thin plastic cover) for the eInk display ?
The e-paper display of the first Yotaphone is protected by curved glass made by Corning. The devices are manufactured by Hi-P International in Singapora. This company earlier produced Amazon's e-readers. 

Of course, it would be great to have a lid with an e-paper display, but I think it's too expensive and brings too much risk. A diy-upgrade-kit after the release of the Pyra would be godly, though.

When talking about refresh rates, remember that these screen have a refreshrate of around 800ms resulting in 1,25 fps so forget about scrolling. The great thing is, these screens only use energy to change the picture, i.e. the display stays visible when you pull out the battery.

The e-paper display of the first Yotaphone is protected by curved glass made by Corning. The devices are manufactured by Hi-P International in Singapora. This company earlier produced Amazon's e-readers.
 Any idea where we can find their products for sale?

Of course, it would be great to have a lid with an e-paper display, but I think it's too expensive and brings too much risk. A diy-upgrade-kit after the release of the Pyra would be godly, though.
 No it wouldn't, because no developers would support it. This isn't like putting contacts for an L2 and R2 button on the Pandora PCB. In that case, any game that allowed you to set your own keymap was able to set that. However, in the case of an E-ink screen, a user would have to supply the drivers themselves and code all of the functionality they wanted (RSS, ebooks, etc.) themselves because it is not an officially supported feature.

When talking about refresh rates, remember that these screen have a refreshrate of around 800ms resulting in 1,25 fps so forget about scrolling. The great thing is, these screens only use energy to change the picture, i.e. the display stays visible when you pull out the battery.
That's actually not true. E-ink screens can have much faster refresh rates than that. The video I linked has a video running that proves that. Also, if you look up any videos of the Onyx e-readers, you'll see that they even found a way to get the screen to refresh fast enough to play Angry Birds on.

-God Ginrai

Wouldn't a super fast refreshing e-reader screen sort of negate it's point of being energy efficient? I'm not sure about a touch screen ereader screen on the front, again my main concern is how easy it would be to break. But, I would certainly be willing to pay 100 dollars more for it, if it were implemented in a way that would not make the device more prone to breaking. For example, if I dropped my pandora and it fell on the screen, what could we expect to happen? Would the screen be messed up?

Back