E3 Thoughtsfli

chad78

Website
Visit site
E3 just started - but so far we've already got a new Xbox operating system (and Xbox Live), complete with a Mii rip off, Netflix on 360, Sharing movies, sharing photos, sharing games... - and Final Fantasy XIII, Fallout 3, partnerships with NBC, Universal, lips, Be in the Movies, Rock Band 2 (with over 500 songs available), Guitar Hero World Tour with user created content.

Anyone excited? Bored? Thoughts? Did I miss anything?

i didnt see anything about final fantasy on the square enix part, only star ocean, last remnant and infinte undiscovery. my feed just cut off after that bit. :(

CUPC4KES said:
i didnt see anything about final fantasy on the square enix part, only star ocean, last remnant and infinte undiscovery. my feed just cut off after that bit. :(
The Square Enix guy came back, and they showed the same trailer that they showed for the PS3 two years ago (from what I could tell). Microsoft made G4 pull their cameras *WAAAAAY* out during that video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least Microsoft's conference went far better than Nintendo's. Look like Wii gamers will have to look elsewhere for something to play in the second half of the year. Bugger all announced. Their big announcement... GTA DS. <_< I thought it couldn't get any worse after the 2003 Pacman Vs. fiasco but that conference was shocking. No games for the 'hardcore'. All casual games. Even Animal Crossing looked incredibly lame seeing as it looked near identical to the gamecube one.

Nice to see Nintendo giving us the middle finger again. Unless we're casual gamers, it really doesn't look like we're gonna be getting anything decent for a very long time.

Ganepark32 said:
Nice to see Nintendo giving us the middle finger again. Unless we're casual gamers, it really doesn't look like we're gonna be getting anything decent for a very long time.
You say there's nothing for hard core gamers - and then you dismiss the big news of GTA DS. And let's not forget Star Wars Clone Wars for Wii. Those are 2 just off the top of my head.

chad78 said:
Ganepark32 said:
You say there's nothing for hard core gamers - and then you dismiss the big news of GTA DS. And let's not forget Star Wars Clone Wars for Wii. Those are 2 just off the top of my head.

Bwahaha. GTA DS is for the hardcore gamer like Assassin's Creed DS is of the same caliber as its console counterpart.
edit: typo

Anything about the new Splatterhouse mentioned? I just got the new Retro Gamer today, and there's a couple of screenshots of it. Hope it won't be another Duke Nukem Forever.

Ganepark32 said:
Well at least Microsoft's conference went far better than Nintendo's. Look like Wii gamers will have to look elsewhere for something to play in the second half of the year. Bugger all announced. Their big announcement... GTA DS. <_< I thought it couldn't get any worse after the 2003 Pacman Vs. fiasco but that conference was shocking. No games for the 'hardcore'. All casual games. Even Animal Crossing looked incredibly lame seeing as it looked near identical to the gamecube one.

the motion plus add on thing for the wiimote just goes to show nintendo admit that that the wiimote was never as responsive as it made out, ive always thought that the movement detection on wiisports and similar games was far from perfect, although the frisbee demo on wii sports resort proved it was a lot better with that little block thing stuck on. Overall one of the worst E3's ive ever known, no really big announcements, more or less everything that was shown was known about anyway, sony were saying it was going to be the year of the ps3 and never shown anything to back it up and nintendo made it even clearer that the untapped non gamer demograph was to be there main focus. my best bits was miyamoto playing the sax and seeing resident evil 5 being played in real time.

As much as I may think the Avatars are a total rip off - I think Microsoft came out with the best presentation this year. They made the best showing of doing what all 3 claimed to do - continue to please hard core gamers, while reaching out to casual gamers. Too much of Sony's talk was about the PS2 (who cares?) and giving a demo of how to order movies (um - do we really need to learn what buttons to press at E3? - Can't an on-screen walk-thru do that on the console later?). And, apparently Sony's Home has PSMiis as well - but at least they don't look like Miis - they look human. That's why I say the MSiis were rip-offs - they copied the look as well as the idea.

This may or may not be the "Year of the PS3" - but, either way - I'll get a 360 long before I get a PS3. In fact, I might get one next week. Fallout 3 looks awesome.

chad78 said:
As much as I may think the Avatars are a total rip off - I think Microsoft came out with the best presentation this year. They made the best showing of doing what all 3 claimed to do - continue to please hard core gamers, while reaching out to casual gamers. Too much of Sony's talk was about the PS2 (who cares?) and giving a demo of how to order movies (um - do we really need to learn what buttons to press at E3? - Can't an on-screen walk-thru do that on the console later?). And, apparently Sony's Home has PSMiis as well - but at least they don't look like Miis - they look human. That's why I say the MSiis were rip-offs - they copied the look as well as the idea.

This may or may not be the "Year of the PS3" - but, either way - I'll get a 360 long before I get a PS3. In fact, I might get one next week. Fallout 3 looks awesome.
Fallout 3 is on PS3 too, you nut.
As for the presentations? Nothing happened at all apart from FFXIII, and considering their porting plan, you can tell it'll end up simply not running on 360. They're not even porting it until after the Japanese PS3 version is done.
Other than that, Sony's was clearly better, though again nowhere near awe inspiring. Quest for Booty at $15? A Bar Chart done in Little Big Planet to show company figures? GOW3? A 256 player shooter? Movie downloads going up tonight? Sony's had way better production values, and was more thoughtful in its presentation. Plus, more interesting stuff was announced.
Still, it was pretty dull compared to years past.

Goity said:
As for the presentations? Nothing happened at all apart from FFXIII, and considering their porting plan, you can tell it'll end up simply not running on 360. They're not even porting it until after the Japanese PS3 version is done.
I'm not impressed by "production value" of the presentation - I was commenting on the content of their presentations - the Xbox PrimeTime, NetFlix, Geometry Wars 2, Gears of War 2, Halo Wars... Stuff for everyone from the hardest of hardcore (Fallout 3, Halo Wars, Gears of War 2) to the grandmas (1 vs 100, lips, NetFlix)... And XNA. Plus - they got FFXIII. And, they wouldn't have announced it if it wouldn't run on the system, you nut.

chad78 said:
Goity said:
I'm not impressed by "production value" of the presentation - I was commenting on the content of their presentations - the Xbox PrimeTime, NetFlix, Geometry Wars 2, Gears of War 2, Halo Wars... Stuff for everyone from the hardest of hardcore (Fallout 3, Halo Wars, Gears of War 2) to the grandmas (1 vs 100, lips, NetFlix)... And XNA. Plus - they got FFXIII. And, they wouldn't have announced it if it wouldn't run on the system, you nut.

But everyone knew about pretty much all that stuff, apart from that which is already done better on PS3 (Singstar, Home) or Wii (Miis). The PS3 got a massive amount of video content last night, which again negates any video announcements, particularly since only the US can receive netflix.
As for FFXIII? It was a very recent decision that Microsoft wanted people to know. They haven't even run anything FFXIII related on the console yet, they have no idea how many discs it will take or anything like that.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
chad78 said:
Ganepark32 said:

Bwahaha. GTA DS is for the hardcore gamer like Assassin's Creed DS is of the same caliber as its console counterpart.

So you're comfortable slagging off a game nobody has yet seen, and pretty much nothing is known of?

And you call me a fanboy?

declaration said:
chad78 said:
Ganepark32 said:

So you're comfortable slagging off a game nobody has yet seen, and pretty much nothing is known of?

Sorry, I'm making an educated assumption based on the other CRAP Nintendo puts out. There's a very strong chance it will use the touch screen in some lame way and be nothing like a GTA game.

And yes, you would be a fanboy. What are you insinuating I am? A GTA fanboy? Seems like you only pop up on this forum when there's something bad about Nintendo being said :rolleyes:

declaration said:
chad78 said:
Ganepark32 said:

Sorry, I'm making an educated assumption based on the other CRAP Nintendo puts out. There's a very strong chance it will use the touch screen in some lame way and be nothing like a GTA game.

And yes, you would be a fanboy. What are you insinuating I am? A GTA fanboy? Seems like you only pop up on this forum when there's something bad about Nintendo being said :rolleyes:

i think gta 4 is amazing, but i never really thought the psp versions were up to much, so i cant really see the ds version being any different apart from a few stylus based mini games thrown in for the sake of it, i love the ds and i love gta but the two together dont necessarily make a good game.

@ Declaration - You are actually wrong. People have seen it. There is a single screenshot of the game out on the net somewhere showing it in the birds eye view that was found on all of the GTA games on Nintendo's handhelds. Not exactly going to be any decent then as all of the previous nintendo handheld GTAs have been awful. And with touch screen added in, it could turn out to be dreadful.

What I loved about the conference by Nintendo was that afterwards Reggie came out asking why the core gamers were unhappy with what they had shown. He then went on to state that Animal Crossing and GTA DS were the core games they were bringing to their consoles. :lol: Made me laugh. How he, or anybody at Nintendo for that fact, couldn't see why the core gamers were disappointed was beyond me. Everything they showed (apart from obviously GTA DS and CoD: W@W) were all casual games. The best the core gamer can get is from Miyamoto saying that the Zelda teams are working on new Zelda games for the Wii and DS, the Mario Team is working on new mario games for Wii and DS, and that the Pikmin team is working on something for a disclosed platform (rumored to be the Wii). He couldn't confirm or deny Kid Icarus Wii because he isn't in charge of that, hinting at outside development which we already knew about.

But the main argument against Nintendo is that they seem to have forgotten the people that stuck with them over the years, through the N64 and the Gamecube. Ok, they will no doubt get more money from the casual demograph by creating games that have mass appeal. But you don't go and piss off the people who bought the console to play games by not giving them anything.

How much do y'all reckon I'd get for a Wii (All boxed with original contents), spare Wiimote and nunchuk, classic controller, LoZ: TP, MP3:C, SMG, Mario Kart Wii, Okami, and a US version of Smash Bros Brawl? Think it'd be pushing it if I was to try and get £250+ for the lot?

Goity said:
As for the presentations? Nothing happened at all apart from FFXIII, and considering their porting plan, you can tell it'll end up simply not running on 360. They're not even porting it until after the Japanese PS3 version is done..
Yeah but while they're porting to the Xbox 360, there'll be a much smaller team localising the PS3 version. I don't reckon there will be much difference in terms of release dates.

Goity said:
But everyone knew about pretty much all that stuff, apart from that which is already done better on PS3 (Singstar, Home) or Wii (Miis).

That's funny, I don't recall Home being available to anyone yet.

Ganepark32 said:
How much do y'all reckon I'd get for a Wii (All boxed with original contents), spare Wiimote and nunchuk, classic controller, LoZ: TP, MP3:C, SMG, Mario Kart Wii, Okami, and a US version of Smash Bros Brawl? Think it'd be pushing it if I was to try and get £250+ for the lot?
$500US? That's about right, maybe a little high, but not too much. You might get it, depending on how hard the Wii is to find in your area.

Nova said:
Goity said:
As for the presentations? Nothing happened at all apart from FFXIII, and considering their porting plan, you can tell it'll end up simply not running on 360. They're not even porting it until after the Japanese PS3 version is done..
Yeah but while they're porting to the Xbox 360, there'll be a much smaller team localising the PS3 version. I don't reckon there will be much difference in terms of release dates.

Goity said:
But everyone knew about pretty much all that stuff, apart from that which is already done better on PS3 (Singstar, Home) or Wii (Miis).

That's funny, I don't recall Home being available to anyone yet.

No, Home is available to the beta testers, which is enough people for certain companies to already show conferences on the service. Besides, Microsoft's service isn't either.

A much smaller team localising the PS3 version? Localisation is for both versions either way, and a smaller team is worse for everyone, considering it means delays, though it isn't really the case in that sense.
It's highly probable they'll run into problems considering they clearly know bugger all about how they're going to work it, so simultaneous release? Only if they take forever localising, or if they just delay everything.

Back