Early Vs Late Adopters

Early adoption is fine as long as you are OK with the initial set of applications / capabilites and the price is relatively inexpensive (really dependant upon your situation).

When I was 13 I was ignorant of these ideas and spent what constituted the majority of my life savings on a 3DO. $750 at the AT&T store in the mall (video game store didn't carry it, and Sears was trying to push an even bigger flop, the Philips CDi) plus $60 for each of the 5 launch titles.

It actually had a good start, but sputtered out before reaching its potential.

Now, a decent night on the town can run you several hundred dollars, so $300 isn't the biggest risk for an untested piece of hardware, and I look forward to being an early adopter.

Yes, I think that simply because we are all involved, whether we're technically inclined or not. From the start we've been giving feedback to the people in charge and a constant dialog has been open since its inception. I don't think that any other gaming hardware project of this magnitude has been in direct contact with consumers like this. Which makes me even more excited to be a part of it. And it makes me feel a little bit better, putting the $300 down immediately for it.

I was a relatively early adopter of gba flash cards and the tapwave zodiac, it has REALLY paid me off
(but I can't hide the fact that many early zodiacs had a problem with the analog controller, I got lucky I guess, and enjoyed the gaming palm to the max).
on the other hand, beeing a gp2x early adopter was nothing but trouble <_<

I'm certainly going to be a Pandora early adopter :wub: , I believe in the crew behind its hardware development and the software developers working on it. it's a money worth "risk'ing", which I already have on a separate little pig :p

I've adopted a number of consumer electronics devices early, and only really had problems with one. I got the PS2 as soon as it came out, the 360 a month after it came out, the DS and PSP on the day they came out, the DS Lite the day it came out, the EEE PC as soon as it was announced, and the Wii on launch day after 28 hours in front of a BestBuy. :p The Wii was the only one I've had serious problems with, as it has broken twice now. The DS Lite, kinda, but it was just that hairline hinge crack deal, no biggie. All my other devices I get I normally wait, unless I really want one. And I really want a Pandora. :D

I think Craig and the team have learned enough from the abysmal GP2x launch not to make the same mistake GPH did. They're obviously putting all the time and effort they can into development, so I'm not worried. Will later revisions probably be more solid and have some hardware-fixes? Sure. But I think the opportunity cost of getting it now as opposed to waiting is too great.

CronoTriggerfan said:
I think Craig and the team have learned enough from the abysmal GP2x launch not to make the same mistake GPH did. They're obviously putting all the time and effort they can into development, so I'm not worried. Will later revisions probably be more solid and have some hardware-fixes? Sure. But I think the opportunity cost of getting it now as opposed to waiting is too great.
you got the words out of my mouth ^_^ exactly what I think!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll not be adopting early, as I've set a minimum date of November 1st before I'll order one.

I'm hoping that one of two things occurs:

1. The original 3000 isn't sold out, or
2. They get another batch made up pretty damned quick :)

I don't think it will be a flop, I'm expecting it to live up to our expectations. I could be wrong though, so I'm going to wait for a few months.

D.

ima definitely early adopt.
with the amount of care and...dare i say it...love that has gone into the pandora, it'd be pretty hard for it to suck.
so i feel pretty safe
(btw i need a new f5 key)

magicman5421 said:
(btw i need a new f5 key)
Indeed, for I also am a Save State Whore (SSW). Actually, I think it's my F8 key that needs replacing, since I load way more than I save. Crystalis and Devil's Crash are pretty tough, yo. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back