Beta Eboard + Gnuchess 5.07

noisome

A port of eboard with GNU Chess v5.07 as the main and only engine. I removed the rest for simplicity, although the generic engine option is available. You can go online and play against others too.

It still is not to my liking. I want the D-Pad to control the highlighted squares and buttons to select and place, but it works with mouse and touchscreen.

eboard + GNUChess Download: PND
Edited source codes: eboard gnuchess

To compile GNUChess, take the lexpgn.o file and save it, before doing 'make clean'. I could not get lexpgn.* to compile properly under Pandora. Once make clean is done, cp lexpgn.o back to where you found it. Or remove it from Makefile so it doesn't compile over it.

Please tell me if there is some library needed, although I believe I don't have any extra libraries installed to run it. Also, if one can help set up the D-pad for control and buttons for selection, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Noisome said:
Please tell me if there is some library needed, although I believe I don't have any extra libraries installed to run it. Also, if one can help set up the D-pad for control and buttons for selection, that would be appreciated.

what controls/keys do the selection by default?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:

Its controlled by the mouse by default. Up and down seem to be set for the [cmd] box at the bottom. That's the main reason I haven't changed them yet because I believe it needs to be modified a bit more that just a simple change of buttons.

Noisome said:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:

Its controlled by the mouse by default. Up and down seem to be set for the [cmd] box at the bottom. That's the main reason I haven't changed them yet because I believe it needs to be modified a bit more that just a simple change of buttons.

i think you would have to keep a set of internal coordinates in memory and when you get a dpad press change the coordinates and send them through the normal mouse processing

Pickle said:
Noisome said:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:

i think you would have to keep a set of internal coordinates in memory and when you get a dpad press change the coordinates and send them through the normal mouse processing

eboard already has joystick support- I just tested it tonight with a usb gamepad on my laptop. You move around a pointer with the dpad and use a button to select the squares. Another axis can be configured to move backwards and forwards though the game. It feels a bit clunky to be honest, but it might be a starting point.

One other thing to note is that eboard was looking for the joystick at /dev/js0 instead of /dev/input/js0 which is where the device is located on my machine and probably on the pandora.

Code:
=== modified file 'main.cc'
--- main.cc	2010-07-01 03:06:02 +0000
+++ main.cc	2010-07-01 03:06:20 +0000
@@ -139,7 +139,7 @@
   char devname[64];

for(i=0;i<10;i++) {
-    snprintf(devname,64,"/dev/js%d",i);
+    snprintf(devname,64,"/dev/input/js%d",i);
     fd = open(devname,O_RDONLY);
     if (fd >= 0) break;
   }

pder said:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:

eboard already has joystick support- I just tested it tonight with a usb gamepad on my laptop. You move around a pointer with the dpad and use a button to select the squares. Another axis can be configured to move backwards and forwards though the game. It feels a bit clunky to be honest, but it might be a starting point.

One other thing to note is that eboard was looking for the joystick at /dev/js0 instead of /dev/input/js0 which is where the device is located on my machine and probably on the pandora.

Code:
@@ -139,7 +139,7 @@
   char devname[64];

for(i=0;i<10;i++) {
     if (fd >= 0) break;
   }

Thanks for that bit of information. I will see how I can apply it but unfortunately I don't have my Pandora at the moment since I have sent it for repairs. :(

Does it move the pointer like a mouse?

pder said:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:

Code:
@@ -139,7 +139,7 @@
   char devname[64];

for(i=0;i<10;i++) {
     if (fd >= 0) break;
   }

Thanks for that bit of information. I will fix that and also see if I can apply it to the dpad as well. Unfortunately I don't have my Pandora at the moment since I have sent it for repairs. :(

I will also check to see if I can map coordinates and get the dpad to move through them. I have never done anything like that before, but it should be fun. :p

Noisome said:
Thanks for that bit of information. I will fix that and also see if I can apply it to the dpad as well. Unfortunately I don't have my Pandora at the moment since I have sent it for repairs. :(

I will also check to see if I can map coordinates and get the dpad to move through them. I have never done anything like that before, but it should be fun. :p
Lots of nice info and code examples here: http://pandorawiki.org/Kernel_interface

Hey guys.. this topic is a bit old, anyway I'm a big fan of eboard. Still I'm nagging myself every time i loose cuz of time lag. So how can I install timeseal on the Pandora for the eboard?

Hey guy's after some help from Kazuki I've gotten eboard working with timeseal. Just download http://www.multiupload.com/YI4R14NOHQ and put it in your appdata folder for eboard. Works perfectly. It's openseal compiled for pandora and just renamed to be used.

Back