Ebook Reader With Russian Text Support?

drago

Still Fresh
Hello!
A few days ago i receive my gp2x unit, and i found, on this is not normally ebook readers with codepage win1251 / koi8-r support. i try a preinstalled ebook reader, greader, cbook, xreader, and a zncarder - and all of this display my txt files in win 1251 codepage a unreadable symbols mesh :(((
maybe anyone knows a normal ebook reader for gp2x with cyrillic / russian codepages support?
and a few others questions: i fount, for example, when i run MAME and game from this, i cannot find menu with "exit" function - only way to return to gmenu is switch off, and then on console. maybe i dont know a default keys combination for exit from games / programms in gp2x? i found, a few games / progs i can exit via "start" key pressed for few seconds, other working right and left shift press, but another many games i cannot find a exit combination...

and i found a few programms / games, who not run on my gp2x - programm a running, and a few seconds a black screen, i go a gmenu again.

PS gmenu 0.9, firmware 3.0.0.

PPS my gp2x have a one "hot" pixel on a center of lcd - this is ok? i can a fix / switch is off?

thanks for your attention.

A bit off-topic, but in case someone is searching for a good PDF to plain text converter (pdftotext, pdftotxt, pdf2text, pdf2txt), I've finally found an open source application to do it, available for Windows and Linux!

It's named pdftotext, and it's able to convert to UTF-8 (ideal for GReader2x).
It's part of the xPDF distribution, so you can find it here:
WebSite
Direct Download for Windows

Hahahoj said:
I'm sorry, but GReader2x v.0.4 does not work correctly with Russian (don't works UTF-8 and broken CP1251 codepages)
That's news to me :(

As of V.0.4 Greader2x only works with UTF-8, it won't work with other codepages any more.

What is the problem you're having with UTF-8?

Coder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coder said:
Hahahoj said:
I'm sorry, but GReader2x v.0.4 does not work correctly with Russian (don't works UTF-8 and broken CP1251 codepages)
That's news to me :(

As of V.0.4 Greader2x only works with UTF-8, it won't work with other codepages any more.

What is the problem you're having with UTF-8?

Coder.

yes, i confirm this - russian in utf-8 not shown correctly in greader2x v0.4 -also as utf-16, koi8-r, cp866 and win1251.
xreader have a same problem.
but build-in firmware ebook reader shows utf-8 russian book ok.

2Hahahoj: i read this link, but your configured greader2x v0.3 from rar archive do not works on my console - sometimes he start, but also not show rus chars correctly, but sometimes this prog not start - starting, pause approx 5 secs on black screen,. and i again in gmenu,,,

2Drago
You are assured, what your text in windows codepage (CP1251)? It is correctly displayed at viewing through notepad.exe?
Z-ncarder (from quasist) used bitmap font and CP1251 codepage.
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1936
Try it.
.PS Downgrade on 2.1.1 firmware. Its the best.
Register on russian forums GP2X.ru or GBX.ru, ask there questions . There will help.
2Coder
I shall write PM.

Hahahoj said:
2Drago
You are assured, what your text in windows codepage (CP1251)? It is correctly displayed at viewing through notepad.exe?
Z-ncarder (from quasist) used bitmap font and CP1251 codepage.
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1936
Try it.
.PS Downgrade on 2.1.1 firmware. Its the best.
Register on russian forums GP2X.ru or GBX.ru, ask there questions . There will help.
2Coder
I shall write PM.

i try cp866, cp1251, koi8-r, and a utf8 / utf-16.
about notepad.exe - i not use ms dos / windows a few years, now i use mandriva linux. i conviction, i try cp1251 on your config too.
about a rewrite firmware - i think, not now ;)
btw, what in fw 2.x.x is better than 3.0.0? i read a forums, but a not find a in who really firmware 2.x.x is better than 3.x.x...

CoMiKe said:
A bit off-topic, but in case someone is searching for a good PDF to plain text converter (pdftotext, pdftotxt, pdf2text, pdf2txt), I've finally found an open source application to do it, available for Windows and Linux!

It's named pdftotext, and it's able to convert to UTF-8 (ideal for GReader2x).
It's part of the xPDF distribution, so you can find it here:
WebSite
Direct Download for Windows

thanks for that link, very handy!

cheers

drago said:
i fount, for example, when i run MAME and game from this, i cannot find menu with "exit" function - only way to return to gmenu is switch off, and then on console. maybe i dont know a default keys combination for exit from games / programms in gp2x?
When in-game (MAME), press stick click + L + R simultaneously to exit game, when in MAME menu, press the same combination again to quit the emulator.

Back