Elite Dangerous + Hyperspace Jump = I WANT NOW

Haven't really been following the KS updates, when do we get our backer copies of Elite Dangerous? I backed the digital download version.

It's in "Premium Beta" now, so, I guess maybe 2015 some time.

Also, is hyperspace going to take that long every time?! Seemed quite a lengthy animation.

On a semi-related note, I purchased Strike Suit Zero the other day, and finally gave it a try - to get a feel for space combat. Well, I spent about 20 minutes trying to shoot down the first three enemies in the "tutorial" section of the game before I turned the game off. It felt really awkward to control. I hope the combat in Elite is easier (somehow)

Not for a long time, might give it another go.

Not for a long time, might give it another go.
i would recommend it .... especially with all the addons available. the core game can be expanded just the way you want. plus you can make it portable, i.e. install and play off a USB stick so it can be taken from computer to computer. not sure if this would enable cross OS playing though . and a new release is in the wind with a release date sometime in the next 6 months is the hints after some more testing.

and if there is something you want ,but it isnt in the game or in an available OXP then you can always make your own!! i am currently struggeling with a model of the Eagle from space:1999. trust me to pick something complex to start with..lol

i can guarantee that i will be getting Elite:Dangerous when its out!!!

I'm digging the look of this far more than Star Citizen as I hate the look of Cryengine games.

I now find it hard to appreciate old-school Elite games. Not because of graphics/sound/etc. but because of content.

I want that guy I fight with/against to be more than a randomly generated ship. I want him to become a friend/rival. I want to read his name in the news and stop all I was doing to help/catch him. And I want this to feel like something special, not like "the quest I've already done 20 times". I want the universe to react to what I, and the NPC, do. I want to feel part of a living world. And so far I haven't seen any Elite clone (nor any other game, actually (though CK2 comes close in some aspects)) that does this successfully. 

So, I coughed up the extra 35 quid for the "lifetime upgrades", then it was "only" another 30 quid to get the premium beta - they deduct what you already paid from the total.  Yeah I like Elite, what the hell.  I've only tried single player so far, it plays pretty nice.

The keyboard controls are mad. I guess it uses a good 25 keys by default, with more controls you can bind too - and you need to bind some of them if you want to kick ass in combat.

Don't see how they could bring this to consoles without dumbing it down through the floor.  So I hope they don't do it.  Still if they did and they put us on the same servers, we hardcore PC dudes could trounce all the console players.

To give you an idea, with the left hand it uses W A S D Q E R F Z X C V T G H 1 2 3 tab and left-shift by default!!  and you need them all, lol.  I also bound space, left-alt, left-ctrl and caps lock for preset speeds, which helps a lot with maneuvering, chasing, retreating and combat.  I'm using nearly every key on the left side of the keyboard.  (right hand is for mousing / joystick).  I had to print out a qwerty keyboard layout and write all over it to remind me how to fly the thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back