Emacs not liking DNS

worzyl

Hi there!

Had a huge pandy session with my friend today who absolutely is in love with my machine and was showing me emacs.

One annoying thing is that when we were searching through ERC channels (or anything else), it only worked when we manually typed in IP addresss.

If we typed via the DNS, it failed to find it.

Anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

(I'm a linux noob so I will need some hand holding to get through this)

I didn't even realize you can use IRC on Emacs.. I thought it was just an inferior to Vi text editor. 

Not sure, I just use X-Chat for IRC on the pandora.

Yup. IRC (ERC command in emacs) works fine apart from how you access it. With the current DNS situation not working properly, this causes problems when trying to download packages as it cant find them.

My only guess is that the emacs pandora build maybe missing some module or library.. 

Have you tried both PNDs on the repo.. I noticed the one without X support is a newer version..

-emacs 24 with No X

-emacs with X

Hmmm - I've no idea what the differences are apart from the emacs 24 with No X is twice the size!

I guess questions all around..

It could just be larger because the person that ported it bundled all the build includes, libraries and such..

did you try it?

I haven't tried as I'm a very early adopter of emacs and haven't learned all the functions, so I very much doubt would know if it's a cut down version or not.

Apparently emacs 24.3 is the latest version but I dont understand the "X" thing!

24.3 is without "X" support - but I dont know what that support is/was...

Is this something to do with the Mac OS X.....?

Edit:

"Emacs-nox is the Emacs text editor program without support for the X Window System. You need to install this package only if you plan on exclusively using Emacs without the X Window System (emacs will work both in X and out of X, but emacs-nox will only work outside of X). You'll also need to install the emacs package in order to run Emacs."

X is the GUI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. No-x means it will run in the terminal, not in the fancy x-window with OS-like looking menus.

I have a vague feeling that with version 24 the default package of modules / modes became bigger (i.e. color themes, package managers, etc.).

It could just be larger because the person that ported it bundled all the build includes, libraries and such..
Also what TrashyMG wrote is most likely true.

I stick to 24 No-X on Pandora just because of it's better readability.

I thought it was just an inferior to Vi text editor.
:D I smell eternal VI vs. emacs poking wrestle here :D

Back