Emoji font

You don't realize how useful picture emojis are till you don't have access to them. My auntie sent an SMS to me that consisted of two picture emojis, and I had no idea what she was trying to say because all I could see were two squares.

GkV2BbnL.png

I rather have a more complete unicode character set (which includes emojis) for some fonts (and have the default font stay small (uses RAM while in-use). But I guess this is automatic, or installed with one apt-get update.
Hmm... Python3 dependency. Forgot all our old Python2 scripts on the Pandora, those need to be rewritten for Python3 now that Python2is moribund.
Strange, the ttf does not want to be installed on my Debian (got an old Debian).

Google's own color emoji font used for Android is open sourced under the Apache license, it is available in the fonts-noto-color-emoji package within the Debian repository.
I'm glad it is, someone took the old blob version and extended that. I love the blobs, which is why I suggested the one I did.

Python 2 dropped out of support at the start of this year. You shouldn't have been using it in production for a couple of years before that even. In my experience during the years of transition where I was writing stuff to run on python2 and 3, the main thing you have to be aware of is that the print function is no longer a statement, so it now needs brackets around the operand. There are other corner cases like a subtle change to the division operator between floats (which I think only bites if the answer is negative), but very little that I rememeber having to do to make my code run on both. I think it might be more of a problem if you wanted to port python3 code back to 2 because there are various added methods and even these days the walrus operator, which you might reasonably use if you were coding primarily for modern python3.

I'm using a noto sans mono font in my terminal windows currently. They support many emoji like ✈(aeroplane) just not much stuff since the post 0xFFFF glyphs. My firefox seems to have some more higher order glyphs in its fonts, and I'm not sure just now what font it's using.

You don't realize how useful picture emojis are till you don't have access to them. My auntie sent an SMS to me that consisted of two picture emojis, and I had no idea what she was trying to say because all I could see were two squares.

GkV2BbnL.png
Is that really a testament to their usefulness, however? Instead, that seems to me a prime example of why you shouldn't use them. Your Aunt's SMS was no different than if someone sent you a message in a language you don't speak.

-God Ginrai

I like being able to use them to accent text. Not replace it. I like having different colors of hearts, etc.

Is that really a testament to their usefulness, however?

Yes, useful to me anyway which is all that I was stating.

Your Aunt's SMS was no different than if someone sent you a message in a language you don't speak.

Languages can be translated, good luck trying to translate squares into picture emojis, especially with a lack of context.

Languages can be translated, good luck trying to translate squares into picture emojis, especially with a lack of context.
Even if they show up as squares, they still copy as their individual character codes, so you can easily search them online and find out what they represent just as easily as you could throw foreign text into a translator.

-God Ginrai

I've just fired up my Nokia 9300i and tried opening a message with an emoji in it in edit mode to try and get the character code, and all that happened is the messaging software crashed.

Weird stuff about emoji:

- The images are not standard between devices, so for the "Dancing" code you can see a Manly blue figure in your device, but a Feminine red figure in the receiving device... so a message to a man like "You are quite a <dancing picture>" will be understood as "You are quite a girl".

- The bit codes are not respected in all the devices, making almost impossible a direct translation if you don't know from what device the code is coming from.

Yeah, that's the difference in semantics between glyphs and codepoints I believe. Codepoints are defined by the Unicode Consortium. But glyphs are designed by artists, and can look like anything.

In your specific case it seems like all newer (post-2016) will display 0x01A483 as 'woman dancing'. It was originally labelled as 'dancer' in 2010, but since 'Man dancing' turned up (0x01F57A) in 2016, 0x01A483 has been defined as a woman. You can combine this with skin tones using modifiers, but I think hair colour isn't ready yet. Knowing the current state of gender neutrality, it'll probably arrive at the same time as the code points for a woman with a bushy beard.

Testing for the forum: Woman dancing: ()
Man dancing: ()

Edit: Looks like the forum software just drops unicode codepoints it doesn't have graphics for, at least when it comes to emoji. That's regardless of whether you copy it from another source, or type it in yourself (which did appear differently to me in edit mode, although I'm not sure why).

Weird stuff about emoji:

- The images are not standard between devices, so for the "Dancing" code you can see a Manly blue figure in your device, but a Feminine red figure in the receiving device... so a message to a man like "You are quite a <dancing picture>" will be understood as "You are quite a girl".
That's not weird, that's the case with all Unicode characters. Unicode does not define the glyphs and instead leaves the glyphs dependent on the font. Emojis are just Unicode characters and thus their glyphs are defined by your font. However, the font that you use does not change meaning. e.g. "A" means the same as "A" even though they have a different font. So if, for example, you put your font to Wingdings then that does not mean that messages from other people are garbage or weird pictures. If you would interpret them as so then that would just mean that you are unable to understand your own font. Same here e.g. If you interpret a gender-neutral emoji to have a specific gender due to how it looks in your system font then that just means that you made the mistake of misinterpreting your own font.

I'm not complaining either. Merely suggesting. I know how to install it myself if the Pyra doesn't come with it. I just thought it might be convenient for the users who want them. And they take up so little space, I figured it wouldn't be an issue to include them. :)

Back