Emulation Of 8 Bit Computers

vampire8bit

With the power of Pandora and its 3d capabilities a lot of people want N64,psx and dreamcast emulation but what about those of us who just want full speed emulation of all 8 bit computers? The only reason I want one is that I'm hoping that we will get perfect emulation of C64, MSX, Amstrad CPC, Spectrum, Atari 800/XL, commodore 16, Apple, Mac etc and I hate using virtual keyboards. I am not too bothered about classic consoles as I have the GP2X for those.

The question is the Pandora powerful enough to emulate all 8 bit systems perfectly or will any classic computers cause problems with emulation of sound etc.?

Are there any other people whose major reason for buying the Pandora is emulation of classic/old computers?

It's powerful enough - but don't expect emulators for all of those to exist at launch.

I defenitely will emulate 8-bit computers and if there is an emulator for linux, it will be emulated fullspeed i think.
The Pandora should be powerful enough to emulate every homecomputer of the 8-bit aera.

I've already done the work to get CaPriCe (CPC emulator) working at full speed on the Pandora - Unfortunately I've not managed to get it to run properly on my Beagleboard for proof due to SDL/X11/OpenGL ES conflicts.

Once I've got my Pandora I'll finish off a preliminary version ASAP for people to play with, then I'll work on a nice QT front end and PND integration.

I'll put Oriculator up as soon as people have Pandoras to run it on. I've already got it working on Touchbook ..

BTW, huge fan of old 8bit machines here .. well, of the Atmos at least. I've got 6 of them - if anyone finds an old Oric microdisc anywhere, let me know immediately! :) I could really use it ..

I'm looking forward (and hoping) to have a fully functional Beeb in my pocket. It was one of those 8bit emulators that was ok on the GP2X but not great.

I agree it's the computer emulation that is most exciting. There are plenty of other ways to play old console games.

Hah, great to read those posts by torpor and hdonk. That covers my second (well, it was an Oric 1) and third computers neatly!

I'm pretty sure VICE won't take long - and that would cover all CBM machines up the the C128 :)

Amiga emulation with a proper keyboard instead of a virtual one would be great and probably in little need of optimisation with all the pandora's power.

Kramy said:
It's powerful enough - but don't expect emulators for all of those to exist at launch.

No I'm not expecting emu's to be ready for launch as long as the Pandora has the capabilities for full speed emulation.

hdonk said:
I've already done the work to get CaPriCe (CPC emulator) working at full speed on the Pandora - Unfortunately I've not managed to get it to run properly on my Beagleboard for proof due to SDL/X11/OpenGL ES conflicts.

Once I've got my Pandora I'll finish off a preliminary version ASAP for people to play with, then I'll work on a nice QT front end and PND integration.

Many thanks the CPC was my first and favourite system. I loved it and had many great memories with the machine

Last edited by a moderator:
Miner49er said:
Dunny said:
I'll be doing something with Spectrum emulation, but I doubt it will be a games-capable emulator.

D.

Hmmm, I'm intrigued :)

Try this (Windows only):

http://sites.google.com/site/pauldunn/BASin_15.6.zip

And be sure to read the readme/help file included. The help file can be used from within the app itself. It's not terribly games-capable (though it will play a game of JSW - the z80 core is accurate enough to anything that doesn't require accurate contention).

D.

CoMiKe said:
With that nick, I knew you were Paul Dunn. :D

If I'm not mistaken, you're also the main author of the ZX Spin emulator. I'm very glad to see you in this community. :)

/me bows :)

I've been here since the days of the GP2X F100. Had a GP32 but didn't participate here as I had no 'net connection at the time. I almost began porting ZXSpin to the GP2X, but stopped after my Rick Dangerous mini-port when it became blatantly obvious that the '2x wouldn't be able to handle a spectrum emulator of that kind of accuracy.

Recently ZXSpin has had major overhauls of just about every aspect and gained significant ground in emulating the old 14" TV that we all used, and once the Pandora comes out and I've cut my teeth with a version of BASin, I'll be starting on ZXPanda with hopefully all of ZXSpin's features included. For the time being, I'm just pratting around with ZXSpin :)

My nick is generally Dunny or ZXDunny wherever I go - if you see that with the JSW toilet Avatar, you can be sure it's me :)

D.

Dunny said:
/me bows :)

I've been here since the days of the GP2X F100. Had a GP32 but didn't participate here as I had no 'net connection at the time. I almost began porting ZXSpin to the GP2X, but stopped after my Rick Dangerous mini-port when it became blatantly obvious that the '2x wouldn't be able to handle a spectrum emulator of that kind of accuracy.
And I think I've seen you avatar around here a hundred of times, but haven't realized of your identity until you mentioned in this thread you will be working on something related to the ZX Spectrum.

Dunny said:
Recently ZXSpin has had major overhauls of just about every aspect and gained significant ground in emulating the old 14" TV that we all used, and once the Pandora comes out and I've cut my teeth with a version of BASin, I'll be starting on ZXPanda with hopefully all of ZXSpin's features included. For the time being, I'm just pratting around with ZXSpin :)
I'll be looking forward to it. I knew your name because of the ZXSpin emulator, which was my new favorite after the fantastic RealSpectrum from Ramsoft was discontinued.

hdonk said:

"pnd integration"?

PND is essentially a packaging system (more or less), though you may use libpnd for other stuff (setting clockrate, etc.)

But the PND part itself (for pnd-files) is trivial; you package your .bin up into the PND-file, instead of a zip, and done :) tools are i nthe git :)

jeff

Back