Emulation Vs Homebrew

Which do you care about more, emulation or homebrew?

• Total voters

Miknal

The topic about devs got me thinking about which people want more, devs that do homebrew, or emulators. So vote now.

Edit: For simplicity, I have not included other apps that devs could make to be used on the pandora, as I am assuming most will use the console primarily for gaming. If you wish to contest this, feel free to make another poll.

I'm afraid I can't vote - I'm pretty much equally interested in both. :p

Prometheus said:

Fine, just for you, the poll is amended :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Miknal said:
Prometheus said:

Fine, just for you, the poll is amended :p

Mr. Fence and I are very good friends on this subject. ;)

-God Ginrai

I think commerical games would be alot better than homebrew but who knows? The Dev's could come up with a native game that really test its power. I would only vote emulator for the Pandora because it is capable of emulating consoles that I would actually be bothered getting in to. eg.Psp,N64,PS1 and Dreamcast. But alot of open sourcce games are of high quality too, so hopefully as much as possible get ported.

Hello, Mr. Fence! :D
I am extremely interested in the homebrew scene and may even write something myself, but having a few killer emulators would justify the purchase already.

I like homebrew, but I like Emulation a bit more, it gives a little more room to do things(a bigger selection you might say)

Hello Mr. Fence. What can I say, they're both fun to play. Granted, some will probably be better than others. Still, you wouldn't make a parent choose favorite children.

I want to see some UMPC stuff happen first (media playing programs, PDA applications), but once that's done, I'm only interested in homebrew. (edit: Or massive commercial games, supposing anybody makes one of those)

I didn't own any video games until the Game Boy Advance, and I'm certainly not interested in anything older than that.

Is there enough room on this fence for all of us?

The Great Fence of Pandora

hmm... doesn't really have a great ring to it

lulzfish said:
I want to see some UMPC stuff happen first (media playing programs, PDA applications), but once that's done, I'm only interested in homebrew. (edit: Or massive commercial games, supposing anybody makes one of those)

I didn't own any video games until the Game Boy Advance, and I'm certainly not interested in anything older than that.
Pretty much the same here, though I got an N64 after I got a GBA. I am interested in some SNES that I played at my cousin's house. Though most of the good classics(like Yoshi's Island) are on GBA anyway now.

Hello Mr Fence!!

There are sooo many great games out there for a number of systems that I can't wait to get stuck into.

There are sooo many talented devs and imaginative people out there with great ideas I can't wait to get stuck into.

IF a commercial game did come along that I like, for a reasonable price then I would buy it.

i voted fence. i love emulation but there comes a point when the devs will stop and say "we've emulated all we can atm" then the slower homebrew scene will plod along.
homebrew interests me just because of the potential of the pandora and the fact that something made specifically for the panda will be awesome and try to harness all the power :)
would one day love to help with homebrew but knowing me i wont make that first step. glad there are people out there that dont share my laziness :)

Hello Mr Fence, I do apologise for sitting on you, And no!, That smell was not me,
As i have not farted once since i have been sitting here.

Anyway, Yes to both, As emulation is a great part that draws me to the Pandora and
other devices like it, But there are some excellent software, Either ports or original
produced through the homebrew scene that are just too good to ignore.

Trooper

lulzfish said:

That's sad, considering that the quality of video games have slowly been declining since around the time the GBA came out. Not that I'm saying that GBA games are bad, but from its release on, developers were less concerned about actual gameplay and more concerned with things like graphics. The most recent trend seems to be an obsession with gimmicks.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
lulzfish said:

That's sad, considering that the quality of video games have slowly been declining since around the time the GBA came out. Not that I'm saying that GBA games are bad, but from its release on, developers were less concerned about actual gameplay and more concerned with things like graphics. The most recent trend seems to be an obsession with gimmicks.

-God Ginrai
i'd say around the middle of the gba's lifetime, there were a great deal of quality games for that little machine.

and hello mr. fence. i'm going to eat you.

God Ginrai said:
lulzfish said:

-God Ginrai

For the most part, I agree - but that rule doesn't quite apply (for the most part) to RPGs. Being so focused on story, gameplay is important, and graphics are sometimes sacrificed for the sake of a better story and better gameplay.

That aside, me and the fence are quite good friends. It's actually pretty comfortable up here. :D

I'm interested in the emulation aspect, not so much for the few Genesis carts I have lying around so much as for the systems that were around and popular before I started falling in love with computers. I totally missed out on the era of Amigas and C64s.
I like the homebrew aspect because I'd like to see what people can come up with, even for a machine as niche as this. Then there are all the available cross-platform, F/OSS games that are being ported. I've been wanting to have a portable device that could play Battle for Wesnoth for a while now.
So basically I'd like to explore both of those aspects. It's appealing to think of a powerful, portable system that actually encourages homebrew, even unofficial emulation.

Back