Emulator brings x86 Linux apps to ARM devices

I think Grench misunderstands completely how this works.

This is an emulator that exclusively emulates a linux x86 system.

Dosbox and other programs will not be faster wtih it at all.

It can only be used to run native x86 linux programs on arm devices.

OK.  I had thought it would accelerate any X86 program running on ARM.  More exclusively it's only Linux compiled X86 programs - that's cool too.

So,

I have the Neverwinter Nights (1) native X86 executable binaries.  Works under Debian, Ubuntu, etc. on X86.

I have a license for this emulator.

How do I go about legitimately testing if I can make NWN work (even as a slide show) on the Pandora?

OK.  I had thought it would accelerate any X86 program running on ARM.  More exclusively it's only Linux compiled X86 programs - that's cool too.

So,

I have the Neverwinter Nights (1) native X86 executable binaries.  Works under Debian, Ubuntu, etc. on X86.

How do I go about legitimately testing if I can make NWN work (even as a slide show) on the Pandora?
Yes but a realy Idea is do try X86 Linux Compiled Dosbox Binary with Exagear.

Maybe more Speed than the Pandora Dosbox Version who was Arm compiled? ^_^

What happen when you start a X86 Qemu Binary with Exagear for Emulating Windows95?

Just an Idea :)

Last edited by a moderator:

It probably would, but maybe not with fullspeed. http://gamesystemrequirements.com/games.php?id=21

But it looks quite promising. 

But exagear has no GPU acceleration. lunixbochs is working to make his wine changes to work with exagear so it could push the open gl calls outside the emulator where gl shim catches it and translates it into open gl es. When the gpu support is running I believe it could work. Unreal Tournament already works great on the Open Pandora Ghz Edition :)  (and a bit slower on the Rebirth).

So,

Yes but a realy Idea is do try X86 Linux Compiled Dosbox Binary with Exagear.
Maybe more Speed than the Pandora Dosbox Version who was Arm compiled? ^_^

What happen when you start a X86 Qemu Binary with Exagear for Emulating Windows95?

Just an Idea :)
Sorry, but that just adds a second layer of emulation. It will not be faster at all.

If you emulate an x86 cpu to use x86 assembly it will not be faster than using arm compiled qemu for that.

The only way to get improved dos/windows (non wine) emulation with this would be to have Exagear release an OS-independent version of their virtual machine. 

IIRC, Exagear Desktop is a x86 Linux VM, it's similar to a QEMU running Linux, except that it has been optimized.

The question is whether the optimizations are Linux-specific or not (and in case they aren't, if they're willing to release a OS-independent VM (or a VM running FreeDos)

I'll just share my recent exagear/wine screenshots  here. There's nothing fancy, just some win32 programs I used to run on Windows XP.

wine-autostich.png

wine-flashexe.png

wine-gifan.png

wine-irfanview.png

wine-logix.png

wine-mines.png

wine-miranda.png

wine-sudoku1.png

wine-sudoku2.png

wine-twiddle.png

wine-untangle.png

wine-winamp.png

I'll just share my recent exagear/wine screenshots  here. There's nothing fancy, just some win32 programs I used to run on Windows XP.
That Exagear thing worked on your Pandora? Did you just compile it and make it run? I want one also then!
Yes can you please make a little howto get it run on Pandora Zaxxon?

^_^

Maybe with GLSHIM too?

Awesome - I would love to see a 'How To...' as well.

I have already posted instructions for this, but it was a while ago, so an update would be in order. You will need:

- ext2/3/4 formatted SD card or partition with about 1GB free space

- a folder on that card with exagear*.deb installation files and your licence

- internet connection (needed to activate exagear and to install extra packages)

- pandora-exagear.tar.gz file attached to this message.

Unpack pandora-exagear.tar.gz in the same folder as  exagear*.deb files and the pk*.key file, that same folder will be used as installation base. The installation creates some files and symlinks in your NAND, so root permissions are required. Execute the following commands in this folder:

tar -xvf pandora-exagear.tar.gz # unpack if you haven't already
./pandora-inst.sh
# at this point it is recommended to reboot
sudo exagear # you should be inside exagear environment now
./pabdora-post.sh # install wine
exit # leave exagear to drop root priveleges 
After the installation, you should be able to start exagear by typing "exagear" in a terminal. It complains at "service" command at start, but works nevertheless. If you want to install something, you should run it as root, i.e. "sudo exagear". Once you're inside exagear environment, you can run win32 apps using wine:

wine /path/to/program.exe

For advanced users, there are two more files inside pandora-exagear.tar.gz. "wine.reg" should be imported via regedit to allow directdraw apps to run. "dbus_1.99_all.deb" is a fake DBus package with no actual contents which will satisfy DBus dependencies (for skype etc.)

PS: note to qupzilla devs - attaching pandora-exagear.tar.gz makes qupzilla crash

pandora.zip

Attachments

• pandora.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 240
So with this exagear thing, we can run x86 programs all the way up to winxp?

Can you, dimag0g, try if nullDC works there?

So with this exagear thing, we can run x86 programs all the way up to winxp?
Linux x86 programs, not Windows. Windows compatibility flows through Wine and is only as compatible as that.
Can you, dimag0g, try if nullDC works there?
Running an emulator inside an emulator is painful. Why would you want to do this? You enjoy watching slideshows? :p Don't we have a native ARM port of nullDC? Or at least Reicast?

From the link above:

ExaGear is a virtual machine that implements virtual x86 Linux container on ARM...You can even run Windows applications on your ARM Mini PC if you install Wine.
It cannot boot windows, because it doesn't emulate PC hardware. Basically it translates x86 to arm and forwards syscalls to the host's kernel. The userland runs completely on the x86 side (either slow, because of ISA translation, or not at all, because of libraries not available on x86 - e.g. graphics drivers) unless people like linuxbochs provide stub libraries for the VM that forward higher level functions (like OGL) to the host system.

edit: ninja'd by wizardstan

I realy hope lunixboch has a lot of time in the christmas holidays for the implementation of the exagear glshim communication.

Back