Emulators On Gp32 Blu? *not Yet Purchased Question*

Necrosaro420

Still Fresh
I have not yet purchased a GP32, but I am going to be getting one. Which one would you all suggest? A BLU, or FLU? Do all the Emu's work the same on either system? Do the SNES Emu's have sound on the BLU?

I heard that the FLU will play alot of stuff the BLU wont?

Thanks!

Necrosaro420 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 08:00 AM said:
I have not yet purchased a GP32, but I am going to be getting one. Which one would you all suggest? A BLU, or FLU? Do all the Emu's work the same on either system? Do the SNES Emu's have sound on the BLU?

I heard that the FLU will play alot of stuff the BLU wont?

Thanks!
There are actually *two* versions of the BLU... the BLU and the BLU+.
It's the later one, the BLU+ which has compatibility issues with some software.
The regular BLU is compatible with all software.

The BLU (and BLU+) has a much nicer screen for indoor and poor-lighting conditions and would be the better choice in general.

The FLU is still very good at *outdoor* usage (in good or direct sunlight it is excellent) and as you can switch the front-light off will provide a better battery life (up to double if you don't use the light at all!)

So it depends on where you think you'll be using it most.

If you get a BLU, try to get a BLU and not a BLU+.
If you get a FLU, it will probably be cheaper but only available from eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do decide to get it, get it here:
http://www.gp32z.com/product_p/0200.htm
(they are closing soon, won't last long)

I would also recommend getting Blue Angelo from that same website, it is a good game and is only 4.99! (used to be $30, but they're trying to get rid of them because they're closing)

deadlychicken22 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 12:32 AM said:
If you do decide to get it at get it here:
http://www.gp32z.com/product_p/0200.htm
(they are closing soon, won't last long)

I would also recommend getting Blue Angelo from that same website, it is a good game and is only 4.99! (used to be $30, but they're trying to get rid of them because they're closing)

Thanks. Another quesiton =) On the site it says this one is "Latest European BLU version". Not to be stupid, but will this work with USA batteries?

And can you use an AC adapter on these? And if so, will a US adapter work? Thanks Again!

Necrosaro420 posted on Jul 25 2006 at 08:41 PM said:
Thanks. Another quesiton =) On the site it says this one is "Latest European BLU version". Not to be stupid, but will this work with USA batteries?

And can you use an AC adapter on these? And if so, will a US adapter work? Thanks Again!

yes and yes

and it's a great system, especially if you already have a gp2x and love it!

You should know that you'll be ordering a BLU+ from GP32z. This is actually a good thing (best build quality and screen of any GP32), but it means that you with have to download the versions of the emus or apps that are compatible for it.

Basically, if your screen looks crazy when you start a program (with a large white bar at the top), don't freak out. You just have to get the version made for your system.

Great thanks. I am bidding on a few systmes on ebay, but they wont end until sunday, and the store closes Friday....I emailed the store and told them about this, and they would not let me purchase one on sunday, so doesnt look like I will be ordering from them =(

the GP32 was the best thing i ever brought myself, i had the BLU model (not the BLU+) and by using the pencil trick and some high power batteries i could overclock to over 250mhz, doing that ment i could play videos and cartoons at a much higher bit & frame rate, before the pencil trick i had given up on video playback as i am very fussy about picture quality on things i watch.

the emus are fecking GREAT!!! i took the megadrive emulator to thailand with me, im sure i spent more time playing sonic then i did laying on the beach :p

I only ever play Mario kart on the SNES (it dosent play back perfectly on the GP32) so im not sure what other games play like, i did give mario a little go and it seemed fine, I hear donkey kong country plays perfectly (dont hold me to that i never tryed it)

I would love to get a GP2X, but i think im going to hold out a while and pick up another GP32 BLU, it does everything I want already (apart from tv-out and the silly 128mb card limit)

KoH posted on Jul 27 2006 at 05:54 AM said:
the GP32 was the best thing i ever brought myself, i had the BLU model (not the BLU+) and by using the pencil trick and some high power batteries i could overclock to over 250mhz...

Okay, what's the pencil trick? Never heard of it and BIG overclocking sounds great for testing?

if you search for "pencil trick" you will find loads of threads talking about it, the is one BIG thread with photos to show you what to do (it is VERY simple)

the first half of the (long) thread has lots of people saying it will kill your gp32, the 2nd half is everyone thats actually tryed it and hasnt had any problems (I dont recall anyone saying that the pencil trick has killed there GP32)

I found it was well worth the risk, as i said above the video playback is great now, also emulators run soooooo much smoother.

i have 100mhz more power, and all i did was draw over a resistor with a pencil :p

slaanesh posted on Jul 26 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
KoH posted on Jul 27 2006 at 05:54 AM said:
the GP32 was the best thing i ever brought myself, i had the BLU model (not the BLU+) and by using the pencil trick and some high power batteries i could overclock to over 250mhz...

Okay, what's the pencil trick? Never heard of it and BIG overclocking sounds great for testing?

You basicaly "short circuit" a resistor by adding graphite to it. You never know how much more power you ae pumping through the CPU. It is kind of a crap shoot. Some users tried this and the unit wouldn't boot afterwards. They rubbed off some of the pencil and it worked again. Kind of risky I would bet, even if it didn't fry right away I would imagine it could shorten CPU life alot.

Has anyones GP32 ever died from doing this ??? I cant find anyone on here thast reported it happening.

Mine rebooted when i first tryed it, so i wiped a bit off, it worked fine, so i added a little more again and it went to 250+ without crashing, i didnt have to add or take anymore away after that.

I was put off doing it after reading a few threads here, but then i relized that all the people against it hadnt even tryed it, all the people that had reported good things, so i did it and never regreted it once!

I recall one person bricked a GP32 doing it. He tried to clock it too high, and the GP32 crashed and sort of got stuck at that too high clockspeed. Since it couldn't run stable at that speed, it didn't run.. but I think it did start working again eventually.

Basically, any time you make an electronic device do something it shouldn't, you probably shouldn't be doing it. But you're free to do it at your own risk. ;)

Nothing is free, there is no magic, and physics will always come to bite you in the ass if you try to defy it, just sometimes it takes awhile for it to happen.

Maybe the Gp32 would have lasted 10 years without it but with the trick only 3, in that case it is probably ok, well unless it is 3 *months* and not years that it goes "poof".

I think we should declare by MODERATOR DECREE that DaveC be forced to cite all his sources, or shut the hell up.

In this case, all he did was make things out to be worse than they are. But many other times the things he's said have been outright wrong, due to not knowing his head from his ass in the field of embedded systems & etc.

Back